1password changed back to old master password

thhg
thhg
Community Member

Something strange just happen.

Few minutes ago I was about to unlock 1password extension in Chrome to log in to a website (app.bokio.se). By misstake, I typed my in my old (previous) master password and pressed enter and to my surprise 1password unlocked. (Yes, I am sure it was the old password, I use 1password many times everyday and are very careful with my login details).

Anyway, I didn't think so much about that.

Shortly after this incident i went to another website (feedly.com) but now I couldn't unlock 1password. My current master password was not working!! I also tried to log on to the mac version but it also just said "wrong password".

Started to get worried so I did a restart on my computer and tried again to log in to the 1password mac version. No luck. But when I after a few attempts typed in my old previous master password it unlocked. WTF?! Somehow 1password changed my master password back to the old previous one. Must be some bug.

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: 4.6.11.91
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @thhg -- thanks for writing in. Because 1Password is encryption-based and not authentication-based, there is no way for 1Password to simply change your Master Password without a user's input, so I'm wondering what else might be going on here. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#KMF-78856-854]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @thhg only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: KMF-78856-854

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Did you by any chance make the change from the old password to the new one when using different device? If so (because of the way syncing works), the old password would still be valid on your computer until the first time you used the new password.

That doesn't completely explain the situation as the new password should have worked.

• thhg
    thhg
    Community Member

Hi Lars. I have sent a diagnostics report now with a more detailed description.

Danco: I changed master password on the same device approx 1 month ago. Everything has worked out fine since then until this strange event yesterday. It was like 1password (chrome extension) somehow accepted my old master password and at the same time changed back to that when I typed it in and pressed enter. I know it sounds strange but that was what happen :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@thhg -- thanks for sending in the diagnostics report; I've received it and will be replying shortly there (not immediately, as it may take me a bit to run down a couple issues - but soon). :)

This discussion has been closed.