1Password got put into trash while deleting an Adobe Digital file Password was NOT deleted by me.

Options
pncboy85
pncboy85
Community Member

While deleting a nonfunctioning version of Adobe Digital Editions, 1Password or at least the mini version got accidentally placed in the trash. I attempted to remove it and it no longer works. When I try to open the program all it says is1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini. I tried restarting. ALL my sensitive info is in the phone version of the program. How can I resintall the program 1Password and the Mini without deleting the data on my Iphone. The program is NOT in my applications folder currently although it appears in my dock. In short, what should I do? please provide detailed step by step instructions. Thank you.

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: os 10.12.6
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: forum-search:how to recover 1Password accidentally got put in trash

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pncboy85 - Sorry to hear you've had some trouble with a trashed copy of 1Password mini. I'm not entirely sure how that would've happened, but the first thing I should tell you is: don't panic. That's not just a handy Douglas Adams reference, it's also good advice in this case, because UNlike in iOS, on your Mac, deleting the 1Password app does nothing to your actual data (whether you use the Mac App Store version or a version downloaded directly from our downloads page. So, fear not!

The icon on your dock is nothing more than a permanent alias. If the actual 1Password application is deleted, it will change to a question-mark, so don't worry about that. If you're no longer sure about the integrity of your 1Password app on your Mac, what I'd do is a spotlight search for 1Password. Check the results for anything with "Application" as its kind, and drag all of those to your Mac's trash, then empty the Trash. Do NOT use any app cleaners or uninstallers to search for and delete 1Password, as these can remove more data than we want them to.

Finally, restart your Mac. After the restart, examine your Mac's menubar to be sure you DON'T see the familiar keyhole icon for 1Password mini. If you do, you haven't removed all copies of 1Password for Mac from your Mac. If that's the case, stop and let us know.

Assuming you don't see the 1Password mini in your menubar, go ahead and download the latest copy of 1Password for Mac from either the Mac App Store or from the link above if you've been using our version previously. Double-click to open 1Password, and it should find the presence of data and show you the lock screen. Enter your Master Password and you should be back up and running! Let us know how that goes for you. :)

• pncboy85
    pncboy85
    Community Member
    Options

Good news from this decrepit old creature. All I had to do was to drag the 1Password icon from my desktop into my Applications folder and all is well with the world.
    Thanks
    Problem solved

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hi @pncboy85 - Excellent! Yeah, especially in more-recent versions of macOS, 1Password really needs to be run from the Applications folder if at all possible. Other locations can work, but it's never a good idea to keep applications on your desktop. Glad to hear you figured it out. Cheers!

ref: /VCK-32916-664

This discussion has been closed.