To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Can I use 2 accounts (family and business) at same time in one device?

Agur
Agur
Community Member

I have Family account in use for my family. I use Mac desktop and iPhone apps.
I want to start using 1Password also in my company.

Can I use 2 accounts at same time?
What can go wrong with this solution (besides I need to be careful where I enter which password)

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can I use 2 accounts (family and business) at same time in one device?

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @Agur :)
    You can use as many accounts at the same time as you please. Simply add them to the 1Password app on your various devices according to these instructions.

A couple things to keep in mind:
    The first account that you add to your device is considered the "main account". The master password for that account is what will be used to unlock your 1Password apps. If you have different master passwords for the other accounts, which I personally don't, those will only be needed if you want to sign in to those accounts through the web interface or add them to a new device.

The only thing that could really "go wrong" is you save a password to the wrong account. In that case you can easily move items between vaults to put it in the right account.

Hope that helps. :)

• Agur
    Agur
    Community Member

Thank you Corey!
    All looks simple and clear :)

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

:) :+1:

• fryrpc
    fryrpc
    Community Member

Is that correct - Once you have added two account you can access things in a vault in the second account by using the master password for the first account?
    How does that work - how can you decrypt the second account vault without the second account master password - that would mean the second account master password must be stored somewhere?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @fryrpc -- excellent question! The actual Master Password is not stored anywhere; instead, the equivalent mechanism is accomplished via public key cryptography. We encrypt the private (unlock) key of the additional account with the public key of the first account you added into 1Password (which is unlocked by your Master Password), so once you've proven once (when you add the new account) that you possess both the Secret Key and the Master Password for the second account (and thus generate the correct AES-256 encryption key), afterwards you can unlock any additional accounts by proving that you know the Master Password for the 1Password application. It's a bit like key escrow, but the mechanism works somewhat differently.

This discussion has been closed.