Sharing with a team account

rosner
rosner
Community Member

Hi,

I have been testing Teams for a month now and will have to purchase within 3 days. I was wondering following: as I have been using 1Password before and sharing to people outside my organisation by sharing my vault(s) by DropBox, what will happen when I finally switch all over to 1Password Teams? I suppose that user which I have shared the vault(s) with will no longer be able to access my shared items as long as they don't subscribe to a team account, correct?

Hope you get what I mean :-)

Thanks in advance for your answer/help

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rosner: You can continue using local vault sync'd with Dropbox in most cases (will not work on Windows though), but it can really complicate things so I'd recommend adding them to your 1Password Team as guests (or team members, if appropriate). The great thing about 1Password.com sharing is that you can share data with someone without giving them your Master Password — they'll use one they choose for their own account. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• rosner
    rosner
    Community Member

Hello and thanks for your answer.

So just to make sure I understand: I can make someone a guest without them having to have a paid account? And if this is the case, can they only access if the have an "online" account with 1Password or can they also add to their existing "local" 1Password?

I hope you get what I mean.

Thanks in advance.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I can make someone a guest without them having to have a paid account?

@rosner: Yep! Each 1Password Team comes with some guests included, depending on the plan.

And if this is the case, can they only access if the have an "online" account with 1Password or can they also add to their existing "local" 1Password?

Correct. The only way it's possible to share data securely within a team is if the person has an account within that team. That way keys can be exchanged (this happens behind the scenes), so that it's possible for you to access the data without knowing other people's Master Passwords.

You can share local vaults with others, but you'll have to give them the Master Password, and that means they have full access to it (whereas 1Password Teams can have different permissions set, like read-only).

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.