How to purge the archive?

Options
2»

Comments

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member
    Options

I'm considering this too, or to go back to the stand-alone version.
    Though my subscription just renewed.

I have decided though to not use my personal primary vault to store anything of value until I have the ability to purge my deletions.

Instead, my kludge is to create a secondary vault where only I have access and when I have items in that vault that I want to permanently delete to create another secondary vault and move all the items that I want to keep from the dirty vault to the new sanitized vault.

This is highly inconvenient, especially when I have items that have linked attachments. It takes a long time to re-link these. (Please see my new threads on my thoughts of handling these moves and with the master password.)

Thx.

• Frank
    Options

Hi @skippingrock - I understand where you're coming from and we're working on it. I know it's not the best answer at the moment and we do appreciate the feedback. You most likely read @Jacob's comment but I couldn't have said it any better -

I totally hear where you're coming from — I like to feel in control of my data as well, and when I think about us not having this, I wonder what's going on over in development. But then I chat with them, and I find out it's a pretty big project. After all, giving you the ability to permanently delete things from your account is a really powerful feature, and we want to make sure it's done right, tested, and deployed to our test server so we can test it some more. There are a lot of things that come into play. I wish it was just a matter of changing a 0 to a 1 but alas, it's not. I'm sorry this isn't ready yet. When we do have it, I'll check in with you and you can get back to using 1Password if you'd like.

As we receive any updates or news, we will make sure to mention it here. :+1:

• MStruntze
    MStruntze
    Community Member
    Options

I assume there's no news on this?
    How can it take this long? Being able to delete your passwords completely should be more important to you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MStruntze: We haven't announced that this feature will be added. We try to prioritize what we work on based on what will do the most good for the greatest number of users, and this just hasn't made it to the top of the list yet. For example, we already have item history because "How do I get my data back?" is an incredibly question we're asked daily; "How do I destroy data?" is something that comes up less frequently. It may be something we can add in the future though. Thanks for letting us know this is important to you!

• ifarlow
    ifarlow
    Community Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

@brenty Is this a joke?

We haven't announced that this feature will be added...It may be something we can add in the future though.

It has to be, considering that just two posts above yours another AgileBits Team Member posted:

I understand where you're coming from and we're working on it.

Before that, yet another AgileBits Team Member posted:

But then I chat with them, and I find out it's a pretty big project...I'm sorry this isn't ready yet.

And:

We've been talking about the archive purging for a little while now and have some great ideas to solve it for you guys. Excited to share them when they're ready!

So which is it? Is AgileBits working on this now with the intent on implementing it or is it something that might be added in the future? The answer matters.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ifarlow: We're always working on 1Password.com, and everything we improve behind the scenes lays the groundwork for future changes. But as I mentioned above, we have not announced if or when this particular feature will be added, and we're not going to make promises on unreleased features. Even if we were working on this exact thing right now, I couldn't tell you; nor could I offer any certainty of a time frame. Many features are delayed, others retooled, and some ultimately never see the light of day.

While you didn't say as much, I'm guessing based on the tone of your comments that you wish it was possible to "purge" the item archive in 1Password.com. If so, it's something we'll absolutely take into account as we continue work on this. In the mean time, you can always create a new account to migrate your data over with a clean slate, and we'll be happy to help you do that.

• ifarlow
    ifarlow
    Community Member
    Options

You are correct that I believe being able to manage the archive is extremely important. At this particular moment I have no need to do so, but when I do I will be sure to follow-up. Of course, perhaps by then AgileBits will have moved from "it may be something we can add in the future" to "it is something we have added." Or, perhaps not depending on who I ask.

Unfortunately your response seems to be a typical one these days in the forum. I don't believe AgileBits is doing a particularly good job of mitigating fears in light of the clear move to subscriptions and cloud-based services, and all of the double-speak isn't helping. Worse is the impression that different AgileBits representatives are giving different responses. Take that for what you will, but it looks as though I'm not alone. There are several level-headed, well argued articles out there that make the same general point.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ifarlow: It's definitely good to know that this is a feature you're anxious for. Who knows? By the time you need it, it may exist already. But if not, we're always here to help with a "clean slate" account migration or anything else you have questions about.

Regarding articles, it sounds like the ones I've read lately. While you can find us on Facebook, Twitter, our blog, and our email newsletter, it's clear that we need to do a better job of getting the word out. As we can see here, it's easy enough to misunderstand and take things out of context even in a single thread on our own forums. And when it comes to others trying to speak for us, that's another level entirely; but it's our fault for not being more proactive about getting accurate information out there. Thanks for the feedback on that.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@ifarlow what would this be used for? I'm just asking because I do want to know, and how I can maybe help me?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017
    Options

@prime: I can see a use for it, even if I'd never actually use it myself. I have this idea of keeping things tidy, but I am totally not motivated to do that in the digital realm. I can't have things piling up in the house because I'll trip over it. But when it comes to data I just keep it all unless I have a specific reason not to. Search isn't perfect, but it gets me the rest of the way. I can see folks with a lot less data than me wanting to keep things neat though. It just isn't feasible for me to maintain a complex organizational structure for hundreds of items. At least that's my take on it.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks!!

• Catalin1P
    Catalin1P
    Community Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

I think it's a good idea to have the ability to delete things you don't want to show up in your archive, but I do hope that this future is here to stay as I haven't seen it in any other password manager. Either anyone believes me or not, this feature saved my ass more than once. Other password managers automatically purges your data from the deleted items within 30 days but 1 years is a must for me. I kindly ask the Agilebits developers to not remove the 1 year timer.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Absolutely. I can see it from both angles. Everyone makes mistakes, and — full disclosure — I'd be lying if I said I hadn't benefitted from item history myself...so I may be biased. I think it's most important that we protect the data people store in their 1Password.com accounts though, but hopefully we'll be able to offer more control in the future. Cheers! :)

• Hi all!

Just wanted to let you know the latest version of 1Password.com includes the ability to permanently destroy an item in a vault. You'll need to move the item to the Trash, then empty the Trash, and click View Archived Items. There you'll see the option to destroy the item:

Don't worry, we ask you to confirm the choice before it's deleted, so it's very difficult to do all this by mistake. Let us know if you have some questions. :)

• ifarlow
    ifarlow
    Community Member
    Options

Excellent. Thanks for the update.

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! This is a very important update. Now at least there is a way to get rid of something. However, if I need to get rid of a single change to an item, I'd have to trash and then destroy the entire item. Do you think you could consider making it so we can destroy individual entries in the item history?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's certainly something we can consider! :lol: :+1:

• Catalin1P
    Catalin1P
    Community Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

It's a good implementation for everyone that really needs to empty the trash. Though I have one question. I hope the 365 days item history will remain unchanged because a while ago I needed to recover something, exactly 3 months after I thought I wouldn't need it anymore. Most services that keep your files in the trash will do it for maximum 30 days and then they purge them. Another thing that happened to me today is that I recovered a piece of software from iCloud Drive just 5 days before it was going to be permanently purged. Good thing that for no reason I took a look in the iCloud trash before my life became a nightmare.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Catalin1P: We don't have any plans of changing it, and certainly we'd have to give people a heads up and some wiggle room. And perhaps someday we'll be able to offer even longer — though I'm skeptical that something I change is something I will need to revert over a year later. :)

• Catalin1P
    Catalin1P
    Community Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

One year of history is perfect for me. I get your point. I would be skeptical too if one year later I would need to revert something. From now on I will double check things before deleting them. Better be safe than sorry as life can be unpredictable sometimes. I really need to be more careful with sensitive stuff.

• @Catalin1P: Although I'm with you and brenty on needing to revert 1 year later, I have definitely trashed something and needed it near a year later so I, too, am grateful for the (potentially excessive) item history. After all, backups are meant to plan for the unexpected, so just because we haven't thought of a use for it yet doesn't mean we won't one day. It's always great to be careful, but I, for one, am glad 1Password is here for me when I'm maybe a bit less careful than I should have been. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.