Adding multiple accounts?

Options

First of all thanks for this. I'm finally able to make Ubuntu my main workstation!

It would be really great to have multiple accounts available at the same time. I use 1P with my work team and for now I'm using separate Chrome profiles for home/work but it would be nice not to have to switch windows.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 0.8.6
OS Version: Ubuntu 17.10 beta 2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kjs3: You're very welcome! Thanks for joining the 1Password for Chrome beta!

It would be really great to have multiple accounts available at the same time. I use 1P with my work team and for now, I'm using separate Chrome profiles for home/work but it would be nice not to have to switch windows.

We actually do support multiple accounts, but we do it slightly different than any other 1Password application. There are some benefits to the way we do it now, but please don't think anything is set in stone yet. To add a second account, right-click the 1Password logo in your Chrome toolbar and select options. This will launch our settings page in a new tab and you should see a link to Add an account.

If all of your accounts for 1Password have the same Master Password, then you're all set. If not, then things get a little more interesting, since we don't store your Master Password, or the encryption key derived from it and your Secret Key. The Master Password you enter to unlock 1Password for Chrome will determine which account(s) get unlocked.

We recommending using one Master Password across all your 1Password accounts, which seems counterintuitive from our usual stance of having unique passwords across all online accounts. However, we use "a modern approach to authentication" and never store your Master Password me. You can read about that in-depth starting on page 13 of our security whitepaper.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions along the way. I hope you have a pleasant weekend. :)

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• kjs3
    kjs3
    Community Member
    Options

Perfect, this works great!

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• justin_howard
    justin_howard
    Community Member
    Options

Assuming that I don't use the same password for all accounts, is there another solution for multiple login? I use my personal account password to login to the extension, but it doesn't unlock my work account. I have to go to the 1password website manually every day to unlock it. Are there plans to make this a bit easier?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Not currently, but it's something we're looking at for the future. Thanks for your feedback on this! We definitely want to continue to streamline the experience in the beta extension. :)

This discussion has been closed.