Cross Platform Encrypted Doc Storage

AlwaysSortaCurious
AlwaysSortaCurious
Community Member
edited September 2017 in Lounge

I get the 1 GB restriction that this is not their main business. What are you all using for windows to Mac to iPad to android to iPhone? (
that's my current ecosystem ) encrypted encrypted doc storage storage?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AlwaysSortaCurious: It totally depends on the person. I store most of that kind of stuff in my 1Password.com account. But I do also use Boxcryptor for some larger files, and while this isn't an "official AgileBits recommendation", I know others here have suggested it to folks as an alternative to Knox. And it's cross-platform, so that's a bonus. Just my two cents. :)

• Thanks @brenty. That was one of the ones I was looking at, though I feel a little funnny depending on a service for a large number of files. There appears to be an offline mode should the service go away or down. If anyone else has other thoughts?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I hear you. Fortunately there are a lot of options out there. I just can't speak for those I haven't used extensively, so hopefully if others have recommendations they will chime in. :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

I just found out about Cryptomator. It’s free (except for iOS) and open source, and works cross platform as well.

• Thanks. I’ll look it up. And try it out. Boxcryptor I think might be similar (free for all platforms, virtual drive mount, but only two endpoints).

On a side note, I’m primarily a Dropbox user; I can use most solutions for it. I have to use Google docs on occasion. It’s a shame they don’t seem to have anything that encrypts Google docs seamlessly. I understand the technical and workflow challenge, but those can be so easily shared accidentally, by me or others on the team. Boxcryptor can’t really, Neither Sookasa. They use Google as storage for local docs and files but not the actual DOCS files. That's why they specifically say that they work with "Drive." That makes technical sense but is still disappointing. (Don't know about OneDrive, it might do things differently, but right now I wonder)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

The thing that sold me on Cryptomator was a person can look at the source code and see there isn’t a backdoor, and I can have it on as many devices as I want. BoxCryptor, you can only have 2 for free.

One thing I liked about Cryptomator is I didn’t have to make an online account. I downloaded it, connected it to OneDrive, made a folder to encrypt, password (made and saved in 1Password, of course!), and done.

• Ty for the extra detail.... It's why I loved Truecrypt once upon a time...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That is pretty cool. I hadn't heard of that one before. Thanks for sharing! :)

• Lol... six of one, half a dozen of the other... one is closed source, $50/year for more than two devices, and stores the key on their servers encrypted with your password, pre-built cloud hooks for most services, and will likely work more often than not. The other is open source, donationware, pros, but with the challenges associated with it. Nice, they encrypt and obfuscate the directory structure and file size (padding). Mobile fee, desktop free.

Currently wondering if I can get by with two devices.... if I need three, going to Cryptomator... I think....ugg, hate risking my files, not to hackers, but to me (locking myself out).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Currently wondering if I can get by with two devices.... if I need three, going to Cryptomator... I think....ugg, hate risking my files, not to hackers, but to me (locking myself out).

Oh totally. Every time I setup something like this I just know I'm going to lock myself out at some point. Fortunately there's an app for that — I can save the key in 1Password and forget about it! :sunglasses:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

I had to reset my BoxCryptor, lost 2 filed doing this. Wasn’t a big issue, but oh well. My Cryptomator password is over 50 characters long, and don’t care. Just like @brenty said

I can save the key in 1Password and forget about it! :sunglasses:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:lol: :+1:

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

lol... no, I agree. my account license (for local) and keys are already in "our" product. I mean through something dumb-dumb. Boxcryptor has the file list file, which you can accidentally delete and be OK. Not sure what the critical files are for Cryptomator but it looks like you can accidentally lose your whole directory structure... on the one hand it's great that they can obscure that to hide what it may be, but on the other hand they have to store that information somewhere.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yup. It's a clever solution, but always tricky to try to shoehorn stuff like this onto things that weren't designed with this use in mind. It gets pretty recursive: SSD > filesystem > Dropbox > Boxcryptor. Scares me a bit to think how many things could go wrong, so I'm glad I have backups. :lol:

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

OK, just going to add my comments here. Tried Boxcryptor for a couple of weeks. Its clean, I like that you can pick and choose which folders to encrypt so it is minimally disruptive to workflow. What I dislike is the price for an individual subscription or perhaps the number of endpoints? Cheaper with 3 might be OK? Anyway. Tired of life by subscription. Dislike that they have some keys, encrypted or not, on their server.

Trying out Cryptmator now. A little more Kludgy feeling, Not quite as polished. Donationware (and I will donate if I keep it) for desktops but pay once for apps. The workflow is not as clean, you need a vault. Going to ask them to reformat their drive names too so that it is friendlier looking. But I do like that it encrypts the file structure in addition to the files.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yeah I'm in exactly the same boat. I've been using both lately and can't say either is a perfect fit for me. I'd prefer if one or the other was, just to simplify things, but using each for different stuff right now is working for me. Cheers! :)

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member

lol.. I haven't got that kind of patience. I want one.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:lol: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.