Deauthorize Devices

mgzwarrior
mgzwarrior
Community Member

Hi,

Continuing from the discussion here.

Although I now understand the list of "authorized devices" and why it seems like this is not a critical issue, I would argue that it is a feature that should still be implemented, even after this clarification, for multiple reasons.

1. What if your device gets stolen?
  2. What if you sell your device to somebody else and forget to wipe it? (A terrible idea, but still could happen)
  3. *What if you don't recognize a device in the list?

Obviously each one of these scenarios has its faults. It's unlikely that a thief or a new owner will know your password offhand, and if you see a device that you don't recognize, you should probably change your master password and reauthorize on all of your devices anyway. However, having the ability to deauthorize a device if you want to is a comfort that is worth having in place.

I wouldn't say this is a critical issue in any sense, but if there is any feature that I'd add to 1Password, this would be the one.

Thanks,

Matt

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mgzwarrior: Deauthorization can already help with all of those scenarios, so I'm not sure what you're asking for. The problem is that someone will have to be able to unlock the device for 1Password to run there (and connect to the internet) and get the deauthorization from the server to purge everything from it. That's the bad news, and there just isn't any way around that, short of us making our own OS and hardware.

The good news is that 1) the data is encrypted on the device, so that even if someone does have access to the disk they will still have to, at the very least, guess your (presumably long, strong, and unique) Master Password; and 2) you can always change your Secret Key if you believe it may have been captured on a device that was lost, stolen, etc.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• mgzwarrior
    mgzwarrior
    Community Member

@brenty, I apologize, I now see that this feature has already been implemented. After stumbling across that last discussion I didn’t research any further before starting this one. I’m all set! Thanks!

• Good to see Brenty managed to sort things out for you. :)

Rick

This discussion has been closed.