Touch ID unavailable, Master Password required [under investigation]

Options

Comments

• aplnub
    aplnub
    Community Member
    Options

iPhone 7+ and constantly reentering my password. I don’t get the fingerprint icon. Started after iOS 11 update.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

@drego85 and @aplnub - we've nothing to share right now as far as timeline on the fix for this, but definitely keep an eye on the updates. :)

• baramuro
    baramuro
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue, very annoying as I save everything in 1password, it is so good but I hate putting in the master pw. Is there any hope for a quick fix. It is happening on my iPhone 6 and iPad pro

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@baramuro: There is no "quick fix". We're going to taking the time to identify the problem and test any solution thoroughly. This is people's security we're talking about here. It will take as long as it takes. Certainly we'll be happy if its something simple and we're able to release an update addressing this soon though. You go in to 1Password Settings > Advanced > Security to set it to never require the Master Password if you wish to avoid having to enter it, but certainly don't forget your Master Password. It's better — both security- and memory-wise — for 1Password ask for the Master Password too often rather than not often enough. I'm sorry that it may less convenient in the mean time, but we're committed to finding a permanent solution.

• baramuro
    baramuro
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I didn't want suggest you fix it and make it less secure, I was just curious, I am happy to wait. BTW the solution that you suggested doesn't work for me, I still need to put in my master pw.

• Ben
    Options

@baramuro

If with 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Security > Require Master Password set to never you do not have a fingerprint icon (after unlocking with the Master Password the first time) please send us a diagnostic report.

How to send a 1Password diagnostics report - 1Password Support

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/394642/#Comment_394642
    • Your forum username: baramuro

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

@baramuro: Ah, I'm sorry if I missed that. If you haven't already, definitely try reinstalling 1Password as suggested earlier (be sure to backup any local vaults first), as that has resolved the issue entirely for quite a few people. But if that hasn't helped, definitely follow Lars'(s?) instructions above to send diagnostics so we can investigate. Either way, we'll get this sorted out for everyone!

• baramuro
    baramuro
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty @Ben sorry it seems I was wrong and it works with both devices when I select the suggested advanced setting. I will try that with my iPhone and wait patiently for a fix. But thanks for the quick responses, that is very reassuring.

• Ben
    Options

Great, thanks for the update @baramuro. Glad to hear that helped.

Ben

• raster
    raster
    Community Member
    Options

This has also been happening to me ever since upgrading to iOS 11. Never had this problem on iOS 10. Let me know if I can help, this is an important t feature to me as it meant restarting the phone guaranteed 1Password would be locked down. Looks like I now need to disable this feature since I’m prompted for a long password multiple times a day now. :'(

Thanks!

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

My daily annoyance, multiple times. iPhone SE with iOS 11.0.2 :(((

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@raster, @sniem: I've merged your comments with the existing discussion on this iOS 11 issue.

Have you tried either of these workarounds?

1. Reinstall 1Password from the App Store (be sure to backup any local vaults first)
    2. Use 1Password Settings > Advanced > Security > Require Master Password > Never — does Touch ID work for you then?
  • raster
    raster
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty 1. I reinstalled a few days ago, but it did not help. 2. “Never” works fine, as do all the other settings (AFAICT), just not the “after restart” setting.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

I wanted to comment here since I've spent some more time looking into this. Sorry for the delays on action on this one. It's not that this isn't a serious concern for us, it's simply that there doesn't appear to be a really good reason for why or how we're seeing it. We can't recreate the issue on demand, which means we're at the mercy of time during testing.

The thing that is going wrong is related to how we determine if a reboot has occurred. For those of you who have "After Device Restart" set for Require Master Password, this means anytime a reboot is detected we clear your Master Password from the iOS keychain, which promptly disables the ability to use Touch ID. For those who have this setting set to Never, you'll see you have to tap the icon to bring Touch ID up when you reboot the device.

We're getting incorrect detection of reboot.

To detect reboots we ask iOS for the device's uptime. This uptime number is then stored and we calculate the uptime every time our lock service needs to compare these. If they differ by more than 5 seconds then a reboot has occurred.

To be clear, there is no request we can make to iOS to see exactly when the device has been last rebooted. So we're on our own here and have to work within the limitations we have. Using "uptime" is the only clear way to do this then.

The real problem is then that we're getting different numbers from the uptime calculations and those numbers differ more than 5 seconds. Sometimes it's 10 seconds or thereabouts, and for others we're seeing differences of 200+ seconds.

We can "accept" 10 seconds, but we can't accept something like 20 because that's a legitimately reasonable time that a reboot could occur. So if we accept 20 then we'd have the reverse situation where a reboot did occur but Touch ID still works. And 200 seconds is just plain never going to be considered.

Hopefully this is reasonably enlightening as to why this is a troublesome issue to fix.

• We can't recreate it on demand, which makes debugging it really difficult
    • The numbers we are getting are partially reasonable, but others are orders of magnitude off what we could call reasonable
    • The more we bump the accepted difference the closer we get to making the feature break in the opposite direction
    • We have no idea why we're getting different numbers in some cases, it's rather unexplainable.

So there's no real easy fix to this, it's not something we can just spend a day on and tada it's working again. If we make a change on our side it often takes a day or more just to see if that change made a difference or to test a new theory.

That said we are doing our best here, but so far we've come up with ideas for what could be going wrong but nothing concrete. Our last change did not fix anything unfortunately so we're back to the drawing board again.

We are really sorry that this has somehow happened, nothing in this code has changed at all since this started happening. So it's really quite a head scratcher since nothing we changed caused this to happen, it just started happening randomly. We'd like nothing more than to get this fixed as well. We are experiencing the same problems you all are so we're incentivized to fix it for ourselves as well, unfortunately that doesn't make the weird issues any easier to understand :)

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Thanks for the insights, @AGKyle. In the meantime I had updated my iPhone SE to iOS 11.0.3 and still saw the issue. What I do see is that some apps "restart" if I send them to the background (use other apps). When I go back to them (e.g. Twitter), they start as if I hadn't used them for some hours. Say, it reloads mentions, current tweets etc. - although the app is allowed to run in the background (Twitter is, 1pw is not as I'm using it with local vaults only, not with a 1pw.com account).

Now I'm at 11.1 Beta 3 and will let you know if that makes any difference.

PS: @brenty: Yes, I've tried both, no change.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sniem -- you mean even if you change the timeout to "Never" and force-quit, then restart 1Password for iOS, you get no change? Still have to enter your Master Password?

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member
    Options

No, of course not. When I do that and later switch back to after restart I have to enter it again despite that there was no restart.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sniem -- that's correct. As mentioned earlier in this thread, there is currently a bug that is playing havoc with the sensing of when a restart has occurred which affects the availability of TouchID if you have "After Restart" chosen as your preferred timeout method in Settings > Advanced. We're aware this isn't the desired behavior and we're working on a fix for it, but for now this is the "correct" behavior in the sense that it's what is expected due to this bug. We don't have a fix available for it other than to suggest you switch to "Never" -- which should allow you to continue using TouchID if it is critical to your workflow. Sorry for the inconvenience, and keep an eye on updates for a resolution to this problem.

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member
    Options

It was my misunderstanding. I had thought trying those workarounds would make the issue disappear. As it won’t I’m patiently waiting for a fix :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sniem - hey, no problem! I'm sorry we don't have a reliable fix for this out already, but stay tuned for updates -- you're definitely not the only person affected. I actually got hit with this one myself, as I have my 1Password for iOS settings set to "After Restart" for requiring Master Password.

• JimH
    JimH
    Community Member
    Options

Disappointing this major inconvenience is still not resolved after nearly a month

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

Sorry @JimH

This is a particularly difficult issue since it doesn't really have a real solution. See my previous post above for some technical details. To be clear, we are still working on this, and we hate it as much as you all do, but it's not an easy thing to fix.

• masterzone
    masterzone
    Community Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hello Guys, this issue happens to me and my wife on iPhone 7+ after upgrading on ios11 latest release. If I start 1password after some time the main screen with master password or fingerprint icon appears. I installed ios11 with a fresh installation without backup (usually I don't do backup because my important data are stored on the cloud) and manually installed again all apps. Otherwise my wife had the same problem with iOS 11 upgraded from ios10. So I think there is something wrong on the 1password app that give this behaviour.
    All 1password preferences are the same of 1password on ios10.

I'm trying some settings to help you solve this issue...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@masterzone - thanks for helping look into this. We're already well aware of what's going on, and as AGKyle said, working on a fix. I wish we could give you a timeline of when things might be available, but unfortunately squashing bugs doesn't work like that. Keep an eye on our updates, and if you want a workaround, switch your settings in Settings > Advanced to "Never" temporarily.

• masterzone
    masterzone
    Community Member
    Options

Don’t worry this issue is nothing. The great benefit of 1Password is huge. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@masterzone - thanks so much for the kind words!

• douglasfenton
    douglasfenton
    Community Member
    Options

I experiencing this issue on the newest versions of 1password and iOS 11(iPhone 6 plus) . It requires master password if not used for a few minutes. Reading this thread I just changed advance , Security to 1 day other then restart. I will see if that works as expected. Is a fix still being worked on , no update on this thread since September 29 ?

• Ben
    Options

@douglasfenton,

The issue is still being investigated. As you may have read the difficulty is that we’re no longer reliably able to determine when the device restarted. The values we’re getting back from our checks on that do not match reality. It may ultimately not be something that we ourselves can fix, but rather will need to rely on an iOS update to fix. Uncertain at this point.

We recommend using the default setting of ‘never’ for the Advanced > Security > Require Master Password setting. If you would like 1Password to lock to your Master Password you can use Settings > Security > Lock Now (which always requires the Master Password after use).

Ben

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

It seems that iOS 11.1 may have fixed the issue. I reset my touchid to reset after reboot and so far it is working like it should.

This discussion has been closed.