Where do I find generated passwords that weren't saved?

dahanbn
dahanbn
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Today I created a steam account and I copied the generated password in. Unfortunately, 1PW6 didn't save my new login and I can't find the generated password now. Where can I find it?

I also noticed that in the password generator there is only a copy button but it doesn't fill in the generated password during the account creation process. And if I remember right than that isn't the first time that 1PW6 wasn't able to save newly created logins. What is the best way to achieve that?

1Password Version: 1Password 6.6.439d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @dahanbn,

Thanks for writing in.

By default, 1Password does autosave new Login items for you but it depends on the site's design, some sites design their registration form in a way that doesn't let 1Password know you're creating a new account. In this case, we offer a fallback to let you save manually.

I'm not able to reproduce the autosave issue on Steam's site. Can you confirm that Steam is not in your blacklist for autosave or if autosave is enabled? To do this:

1. Open the main 1Password window, unlock, and go to Settings > Options > Browsers
    2. Is Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them checked and if yes, does the site show up in the list below it?

I can't find the generated password now. Where can I find it?

You can find it in your Passwords category, sort it by date and the most recent Password item will have the password. At the moment, 1Password generator does not save the information on where you generated the password, so it won't have Steam's URL in it.

I also noticed that in the password generator there is only a copy button but it doesn't fill in the generated password during the account creation process.

That is correct, the password generator does not support filling yet. Once it does, it'll show Fill option next to Copy.

• andrew_spatula
    andrew_spatula
    Community Member

Hi Mike - I just used a generated password, and it has vanished into the ether, not available in my 1Password account under the saved passwords at all. Any idea what happened? Another user within our organisation has previously used this computer, is it possible it's in the wrong account? Any help would be majorly appreciated, I need to log into this account and it will only let me reset the password once every 3 days for some reason.

• @andrew_spatula: The extension is only able to talk to the main app, not to 1Password.com, so if you're signed into the proper account in the main app, the password item for the generated password should be there, assuming you copied the password (password items are created when you copy them). Make sure you're looking at All Vaults when you select the Passwords category, just to make sure the vault the password item was saved to is definitely visible, too. :+1:

• Hi @andrew_spatula,

In addition to what Kate said, any new generated passwords would be saved to the default vault used for saving. To find out which vault, you can open 1Password 6, unlock, and go to Settings (gear icon on bottom left), select Options and then select the All Vaults tab. You'll find the setting on the bottom called Vault for Saving.

This discussion has been closed.