(1password subscription) Force Documents downloads on my devices

Options
sicorace
sicorace
Community Member

I noticed that on my iphone and ipad I can easily see all my docs as db entry, but in order to actually see the file, I need to manually download it.

How can I force the download of all the files?
For instance, I'm leaving for a trip and I'd like to have with me a secure copy of my passport etc.

Right now I have to have internet access to actually have the pdf file.

also, how can I easily save the file once downloaded?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: 1password

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @sicorace! Files uploaded as Documents to your 1Password account will be available on the device on which you uploaded them. Everywhere else will require a download.

However, once downloaded on any device, Documents will be available on your local device without having to re-download (in other words: whether you have an internet connection or not). Please note that there's a difference between "doesn't require re-download" and "is visible immediately." Because we decrypt only what we need at any given time (minimizing risk and maximizing your security), even if a document has been downloaded on a given device, you will still need to click (or tap) to view it. Here's what the difference looks like:

This is an item that has not yet been downloaded on this iOS device:

And here's a document that has been downloaded already:

See the difference? Unfortunately, at this moment, there is no one-click way to download all the Documents in your 1Password account to a particular device. The best way to do it would be to tap on Categories > Documents and download each one individually. That way, you'll always be sure you have your secure files with you, even if you are without an internet connection.

Regarding your idea of a one-click way to download all Documents, I actually like that idea myself, so I will mention it to our developers and see if that's something that can be added in upcoming releases; I agree, it would be helpful. Thanks for mentioning it!

ref: YAJ-65382-275

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I have not been on the forum for a while which I guess is a good thing!

However, I am preparing for a trip and was once again reminded of the need to manually download files on 4 devices, yes 4! Both my wife and I travel with an iPhone and iPad and it makes sense to have important documents available on them all just in case. On this trip we know we will be without data for a significant amount of the time and will enjoy the peace, but it is still vitally important we have access to important documents should we need them.

Has the situation changed? Can I mark\tag a document for automatic download? Can I download all my documents with one click or setting change?

Thank you for your help.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @iwaddo

Good to hear from you again. :) It is still necessary to download each Document item on each device once in order for it to be cached for offline access on that device. Any Documents you've already viewed on that device should already be (and remain) cached.

Ben

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Hi

By 'Remain' cached, does it survive a hard reset of my iPhone or an iOS update?

The problem is one of workflow, it is hard enough keeping data up to date, remembering to update credit cards every time they change or replace my annual holiday insurance details and pdf - keeping data up to date in 1Password is a passion, it takes time and commitment and to then have to remember to download documents to every device is just tedious and I would say 'not good' in this day and age.

I notice that the original post is nearly two years old and it seemed a good idea back then, are we ever getting something in the app to help or is there no intention, it would be good to know.

Thank you for your help.

• Ben
    Options

By 'Remain' cached, does it survive a hard reset of my iPhone or an iOS update?

It should survive an iOS update fine. I'm not sure what you mean by hard reset? If you erase the storage on the phone that would include not only 1Password's Document cache, but all of the 1Password data on the phone as well.

The problem is one of workflow, it is hard enough keeping data up to date, remembering to update credit cards every time they change or replace my annual holiday insurance details and pdf - keeping data up to date in 1Password is a passion, it takes time and commitment and to then have to remember to download documents to every device is just tedious and I would say 'not good' in this day and age.

I understand, and I don't disagree.

I notice that the original post is nearly two years old and it seemed a good idea back then, are we ever getting something in the app to help or is there no intention, it would be good to know.

There is no plan on the table right now to build such a thing, but as far as I'm aware we also haven't said "no."

Ben

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben

I guess there is always hope.

I think I really meant force restart.

Regards

• Ben
    Options

Ah, yes, they will survive a restart. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.