App freezes on Chrome OS

sdsrc5
sdsrc5
Community Member

I've been using Chrome OS for some time now mostly as my primary machine, either Chrome OS itself or a linux chroot.

Luckily, my Chromebook has supported the Play Store for some time, so I've been happily using a variety of Android apps on Chrome OS, including 1Password. While it generally works pretty well, there's 2 bugs that seem to happen on when using 1Password on Chrome OS:

Issue A:
1) Open 1Password on Chrome OS with an account using automatic lock after some time interval (I use 5 minutes)
2) Navigate to your entry, copy paste some login details, leave 1Password app and return to Chrome OS browser
3) Wait for the timeout interval to pass
4) Open 1Password app from the shelf on the bottom of screen

Problem:
1) The "lock" screen is not shown, even though the interval has passed, leaving the contents last shown visible
2) The app is frozen, unable to navigate or get the unlock screen to appear. Instead, you must manually close the app via the system close option, and then restart the app.

Expectation:
1) The lock screen is shown after the timeout interval rather than leaving the contents visible
2) The app is not frozen, allowing you to enter your password and continue without having to manually kill and restart the app.

Issue B:
1) Open 1Password on Chrome OS
2) Navigate to an entry with a text attachment
3) Tap on the text attachment, open with Chrome
4) Chrome window opens showing attachment
5) Switch back to 1Password

Problem:
1) Screen is entirely black and there is no way to see anything inside the app requiring you to manually kill and restart the app.

Expectation:
1) The app is not black, showing either last contents shown or the lock screen depending on settings.

Thanks, and hopefully these issues can be resolved when using the app on Chrome!

1Password Version: 6.6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: ChromeOS 61.0.3163.117 running Android 7.1.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:app freezes on chromeOS

Comments

• Hi @sdsrc5. Thanks for reporting this issue! Let's see if we can figure out what's going on here.

We recently fixed a bug in 1Password which caused a black screen like you mentioned. If you see the black screen, can you still interact with it? That is, if you click around in the screen, does it eventually respond?

Also, as you're using ChromeOS, have you heard about our Chrome extension?

• sdsrc5
    sdsrc5
    Community Member

Hi @peri

No, you cannot interact with the app at all. The cursor is still there, and you can click around and such, but no matter how long you do this, the screen just stays black until you either switch to a different app or close 1Password and restart. (see screenshot)

I have heard about the Chrome extension for ChromeOS, but since I'm not using the 1Password.com service, I'm unable to this extension.

Also, any idea about the first issue I mentioned as well?

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know. 1Password for Android is not designed for or supported on ChromeOS. We have no plans for that currently, as we're focused on a number of other things, but it's something we can consider for the future.

• WillG
    WillG
    Community Member

I just set my lock timeout to 1 minute and left the Android 1Password window open. When I go back to it. Clicking around doesn't work, but when I type my master password and hit enter, it unlocks. It's probably something with the app not understanding that it can force a redraw of the locked vault screen while the app is unfocused because it assumes that means the app is in the background.

Please support Chrome OS Android.

• Thanks for the info, @WillG. I'll keep this in mind in case anyone else reports the issue. And I'll pass your request on to our team. In the meantime, 1Password is supported on Chrome OS by way of the Chrome extension, which you can find info on here:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/79940/a-present-for-chrome-os-and-linux-users-see-daves-first-post-for-details/p1

• Kurtois
    Kurtois
    Community Member

@brenty or @peri,

Given it is now October 2018, has there been any change on the stance @brenty indicated, which is:
    "1Password for Android is not designed for or supported on ChromeOS."

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Kurtois: Ha! A lot has changed since last year. 1Password for Android is not designed for Chrome OS...but in cases where your device itself is designed to run Android apps, it should work rather well for you now. Google has been making a push in this direction and we've been following their lead, and some of this was presented earlier this year at Google I/O.

However, you may want to check out 1Password X, and that's been specifically designed for folks using Chrome OS, Linux, and other devices where a native 1Password app cannot be installed. Let us know what you think. :)

• roddv
    roddv
    Community Member

@brently: I have a brand new Chromebook and most of my other android phone apps DO in fact work very well on it. But I do have the black screen problem on the 1Password app.

The problem with 1Password X is that it requires a 1Password account, which in turn requires you sign up and pay for the "monthly" service. I have been using 1Password for years now but I don't want to have to pay yet another monthly service fee to use software. If they could just fix the black screen problem that would be the ideal solution.

• Kurtois
    Kurtois
    Community Member

Hmmm...what I find a bit troubling about this stance on "minimal" support for Android on Chrome OS is the fact that Dave Teare sent a newsletter out that I just received extolling the joy of Android on his Pixelbook and soon to acquire Slate. Believe me, I like that idea too!

@brenty - 1Password X is nice, but as @roddv mentions, it does require one to subscribe to your service. And even though I am paying, I am not using it because of some troubles around the "Attachments to Documents" transition concepts as I am discussing here:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/467488#Comment_467488

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@roddv: It sounds like whatever Chromebook you're using has some issue with 1Password's screenshot setting. Have you tried disabling that in 1Password Settings > Security?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018

Hmmm...what I find a bit troubling about this stance on "minimal" support for Android on Chrome OS is the fact that Dave Teare sent a newsletter out that I just received extolling the joy of Android on his Pixelbook and soon to acquire Slate. Believe me, I like that idea too!

@Kurtois: Then you should try it. :) I'm not sure what this airquotes 'minimal' stance thing is about though. You're the only one that said that. ;) 1Password for Android does work well on Pixelbooks, but it's designed first and foremost for Android OS — and I can't vouch for all 3rd party Chrome OS devices. They're pretty hit and miss with supporting Android apps. :unamused:

@brenty - 1Password X is nice, but as @roddv mentions, it does require one to subscribe to your service. And even though I am paying, I am not using it because of some troubles around the "Attachments to Documents" transition concepts as I am discussing here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/467488#Comment_467488

Based on that conversation, it doesn't sound like you're even having troubles now. If you are, it would be best if you'd follow up there and clarify so we can help you get sorted. :chuffed:

• roddv
    roddv
    Community Member

@brently: Thanks for the reply. Since I just had a black screen, I couldn't get to settings, to try your suggestion, but I uninstalled and reinstalled the app and made sure I didn't toggle on the "auto fill" prompt that you are presented with when you first install. That solved the problem for me. When I was able to get to the screenshot setting (after the reinstall) it was off.

• roddv
    roddv
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Sorry, this was a duplicate.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@roddv: I'm glad you were able to work around it. Just to clarify, leaving autofill disabled resolves the issue? And the screenshot setting — on or off — makes no difference?

This discussion has been closed.