Syncing Multiple Vaults

ndcoyote
ndcoyote
Community Member

I don't want to pay a monthly fee.

I do want vaults for my family as described below. Potential for my husband to join in this mix at a later point.

Vault 0 - owned by me
Vault 1 - shared between child #1 and myself
Vault 1B - owned by child #1
Vault 2 - shared between child #2 and myself
Vault 2b - owned by child #2

We use iOS devices (iPhone, iPod). I don't need to use 1Password on my PC or Mac.

It seems like to get multiple vaults, I will need to purchase the $9.99 Pro version of the app. Is that correct?

Without a monthly subscription, is there a way to sync passwords across the multiple iOS devices with the multiple vaults I have described?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

Welcome to the forum, @ndcoyote! If you and your two children have only iOS devices, then by far the easiest and most reliable method of setting up 1Password with multiple vaults shared with different users is through the use of a 1Password Families account. However, that does indeed require a subscription, which you said you'd like to avoid.

If you're certain you don't want to do that, there is still a way to accomplish what you've described! It requires the use of Dropbox for sync. Here's the basic setup:

1. Download 1Password onto all three people's iOS device. When you launch 1Password, choose to create a local vault, not an account.
    2. You and your children would each need to purchase the Pro features of 1Password for iOS using the in-app purchase (so, $9.99 x 3, because Apple does not allow in-app purchases to be shared using their Family Sharing)
    3. Each of the three of you would need to set up your own, individual Dropbox account, if you don't already have one.
    4. Use these instructions to get each person’s Primary vault syncing with their own Dropbox account.
    5. Once you've got each person's Primary vault reliably syncing, you'll need to have access to at least one desktop Mac or PC to create the secondary (shared) vaults, because 1Password for iOS only allows you to create a single vault, not more than one. Download 1Password for Mac or Windows (depending on what you have) and install it. Sync to your vault in Dropbox, then use the File > New Vault command to create the secondary, shared vaults for each of your children.
    6. Follow these instructions to start the Dropbox sharing.
    7. Have your children choose to sync additional vault and point them to the Dropbox share you created in the previous step.

Happy syncing & sharing, whatever you choose! :)

ref: EJL-56278-486

• ndcoyote
    ndcoyote
    Community Member

Whew! Without the monthly Families account that is a complicated process. Thank you very much for detailing it out.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yep! On behalf or Lars, you're welcome! That's one of the big reasons we build 1Password.com! Certainly it's doable, and many of us — myself included — have been using Dropbox to sync multiple vaults for years. I'm more than capable, but I'm glad to only have one there now: it's much quicker to setup a new device by just signing into my 1Password.com account. Just another option available to users. Be sure to let us know if there's anything else we can help with! :)

This discussion has been closed.