Form fill stopped working Windows Chrome

Environment

Language: English
Browser: Google Chrome, Version 61.0.3163.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)
1Password: Windows Version 6, activated in the browser by pressing Ctrl-\

Problem

Form filling does not fill any of the fields.

URL of form: https://ikanobostad.se/kontakta-oss/service-hyresratt/
It can be accessed publicly, without authentication.

I press Ctrl-\, then select the right entry from my vault.

I have values for most of the form fields in my password store (except of the service request text to fill). The vault entry hasn't changed since I used it successfully the last time.

I tried to reload the page (Ctrl-F5), did not help. I tried to turn translation from Swedish to English on/off, it did not help either. I verified the names of the form fields, they haven't changed.

This vault entry does not have any passwords in it, only personal information (address, etc.) I can export the vault entry and send it to your developers in case they would like to try to reproduce it.

1Password Version: 6.7.457
Extension Version: 4.6.11.91
OS Version: Windows 10 64bit vesion 1703 build 15063.674
Sync Type: 1Password cloud, subscription

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@fviktor: Just to clarify, is it just that website you're having trouble with, or others as well? Have you tried restarting Windows?

Also, that page does not appear to have a login form at all, which explains why 1Password isn't being cooperative with regard to saving and filling. Did you perhaps mean to link this page instead? https://hyresratt.ikanobostad.se/CK/User/MyPagesLogin.aspx

• fviktor
    fviktor
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

@brenty: Thank you for the quick answer.

I don't have many form-fills configured, this is the only one I use regularly and it has become broken recently. Usual password forms are filled perfectly. HTTP authentication dialogs are not filled at all. (Do you support that in Windows Chrome?)

Yes, I tried to clear the cache and reload the page, then restart the browser, then Windows. None of them helped.

The right link is https://ikanobostad.se/kontakta-oss/service-hyresratt/

I use 1Password to fill all but one of the required form fields. The one not filled is the actual service request message text which always vary. I press Ctrl-\, then choose the corresponding vault entry from the popup. The entry is already found by 1Password based on domain name. So 1Password is definitely cooperative and I used it to fill this form maybe 10 times before it stopped working. It did work and still should work.

Thank you very much for assisting me with this issue.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

@brenty: Thank you for the quick answer.

@fviktor: Sure thing! :chuffed:

I don't have many form-fills configured, this is the only one I use regularly and it has become broken recently. Usual password forms are filled perfectly. HTTP authentication dialogs are not filled at all. (Do you support that in Windows Chrome?)

Correct. 1Password can fill HTML forms, but HTTP (Basic) Authentication is not supported.

Yes, I tried to clear the cache and reload the page, then restart the browser, then Windows. None of them helped. The right link is https://ikanobostad.se/kontakta-oss/service-hyresratt/

Thank you, but can you tell me what I'm looking at here? I literally don't see any place for username, password, or a button to login. That's what 1Password is looking for, which explains why you might have some trouble.

I use 1Password to fill all but one of the required form fields. The one not filled is the actual service request message text which always vary. I press Ctrl-\, then choose the corresponding vault entry from the popup. The entry is already found by 1Password based on domain name. So 1Password is definitely cooperative and I used it to fill this form maybe 10 times before it stopped working. It did work and still should work.

No, it really shouldn't. This doesn't appear to be a login page, when I look at it in Swedish or English. It looks like you're trying to submit an application for some sort of service request. 1Password is not designed to do this; it's designed to fill login credentials on web pages.

Thank you very much for assisting me with this issue.

I'm afraid this might be of much help, but definitely let me know if I've missed something, or if you need something else! :)

• fviktor
    fviktor
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

Thank you, but can you tell me what I'm looking at here? I literally don't see any place for username, password, or a button to login. That's what 1Password is looking for, which explains why you might have some trouble.

1Password would be perfect to fill such forms with personal information in a secure way, so it is a very valid use case. In case of a form fill entry it should not look for fixed fields, but only for the ones I explicitly configured in the form fill fields.

Screenshot with personal information made unreadable:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/d49k3662wiuvsse/ikano-form-fill-vault-entry-censored.png?dl=0

While taking the screenshot I noticed that the username field cannot be removed from the corresponding vault entry. I don't remember having that there before. (Would changing the type of the vault entry help?)

I think the above is a perfectly valid, real life use case and can save a lot of time while repeatedly filling such forms. LastPass did it perfectly whenever their other things worked. (Same for HTTP authentication popups on most sites, which is not supported by 1Password at all, as you stated above.)

Could you please reconsider?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@fviktor: 1Password is definitely not perfect for that use. Indeed, what you've saved there is a "Login" item, which is designed — both technically and in the UI — for filling login credentials. For example, that's why the template has static username and password fields, and the keyboard shortcut (which you can customize in Preferences > General) is called "Fill login on current web page". I know this is a bit pedantic, but I think it illustrates that we've very much designed 1Password with a different use in mind than the one you're after here. I'm not saying what you're doing is "invalid", only that it isn't what 1Password does. We get similar requests to give 1Password powerful text editing features too. Your request is absolutely something we can consider doing in future versions of 1Password, but there are many more considerations here. To name a few:

• The vast majority of people are using 1Password for login filling, so that needs to be our focus.
    • Login filling is, as you've found, not the same as filling more generic forms, so making changes to support that would either break login filling, or...
    • we'd have have a separate engine for that, and a mechanism to trigger it — and that takes time and resources to build, test, and support.

We very occasionally have a request like this, but these are a drop in the bucket compared to other feature requests we hear every day. I'm sorry this isn't the answer you were looking for, but I hope it helps you at least understand why this isn't something we're going to work on right now. HTAccess is something we're exploring because, though few, we get many more requests for that than generic filling of forms. There are challenges there because it is different (and in some cases impossible) depending on the browser, but hopefully we'll have something more to share there in the future.

• fviktor
    fviktor
    Community Member

Can "Identities" or some other vault entry type provide this functionality?

• fviktor
    fviktor
    Community Member

Also, why my case differs from a debit/credit card fill?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Can "Identities" or some other vault entry type provide this functionality?

@fviktor: Identities can fill some of these fields, yes, such as first name, last name, and phone number.

Also, why my case differs from a debit/credit card fill?

I don't see the similarity. With Credit Card filling, 1Password is trying to fill standard payment fields: account number, expiration, CVV, name, etc. I don't see much overlap with this form. Frankly I've never seen a form like this before at all.

• fviktor
    fviktor
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

Due to your answers above I consider moving away from 1Password to a different solution which supports form filling.

It would be bad, tough, since 1Password is quite secure and has been working reliably for my family (other than this issue). So I make a last attempt on convincing you about this feature.

Have you changed your views since October 2017 and open to put back support for general form filling?

1Password already has "Web form details". I still fail to see why it would be so bad to support simple form filling based on input field names to satisfy us control freaks... We can enter the field values, just dump the input field names from the Web form there so we have the fields ready to fill. Some Web sites (support request forms, etc.) require us to re-enter personal information repeatedly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@fviktor: Hmm. Well, Identity filling will help a lot with your example. And if you encounter issues with Identity filling, or have requests for improvements there, that's definitely something we'd like to know about. Improving an existing feature is much more feasible than adding a brand new one — which brings us back to the topic at hand.

So, regarding the broader question, I don't really know if I can explain it any better than I did above, but I am always happy to try. Focusing on targeted filling logic allows us to make 1Password work better for the thing that people use 1Password for most: logging into websites. I understand where you're coming from, but the reason that it doesn't accommodate your specific use case is because there are so many edge cases specifically for login pages. If there were not, and we did not have to spend so much time and effort trying to get that working for people, 1Password would probably already just work the way you wanted it to. But the reality is that because a) login filling is what most people want to use 1Password for and b) websites mostly do not adhere to web standards, therefore c) 1Password cannot work well for filling just anything without us developing additional form filling method that isn't using any of these tricks (for logins, identities, or credit cards). The last two months haven't changed that. I'm sorry that's not the answer you want, but login filling takes up the vast majority of our browser development bandwidth (and even that may be an understatement); and given that's what the vast majority of our customers depend on 1Password for, I don't see that changing in the near term. We still have many things we'd like to do in that area which we have not been able to do yet because of more pressing issues each and every day as websites change and customers ask us for help with those and others we've never heard of before. :blush:

• fviktor
    fviktor
    Community Member
    edited January 2018

Thank you for your prompt and detailed response.

I've just tried to create a new Identity entry for this specific purpose. Entered all standard identity data required by the form. Then added all the custom fields with labels matching the names of the corresponding form fields. (Please see screenshot of my settings below with all personal details censored.)

All it filled in was my first name, last name and email. Not much of a help, since what I really want to get remembered is all the other fields I cannot easily recall. So it does not seem to work.

Could you please give me a hint on how to manually enter my custom form fields into the Identity settings, so they get filled in?

Form URL: https://ikanobostad.se/kontakta-oss/service-hyresratt/

From the source you can see that there is no magic needed there. It is a pretty standard HTML form.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @fviktor,

I hope you don't mind if I take a moment to explain a bit about how 1Password works in order to clear up some confusion. There are a number of item types in 1Password but only certain ones can be used to fill within a browser. Those item types are:

• Login items
    • Credit Card items
    • Identity items
    • Password items

Let's place the Password item to one side as a lesser version of the more versatile Login item. That leaves the three core types. Of these, both Credit Card and Identity items will only attempt to fill key pieces of information pertaining to that type of item. Neither will attempt to use any custom fields you add, they are to allow the user to add additional details that they want stored but only allow for copy and paste.

So this really leaves us with the Login item. Now Brenty is correct that the Login item's primary focus is indeed sign-in forms for sites but it can be used to fill in a more generic form due to a particular filling strategy that 1Password has at its disposal. This strategy will attempt to fill a form as it was previously saved but it is quite strict in the currently loaded page matching what was saved. If the form changes the original item will likely not fill as it once used to.

What I've tested so far is saving a Login item for the page you mentioned and loading a fresh copy of the page before attempting to fill with the freshly saved Login item. It seemed to fill everything but I was testing 1Password for Mac which could be a factor here. When I moved to 1Password 6 for Windows it didn't want to fill using the same Login item but after I manually saved a new Login item from in 1Password for Windows it seemed to work.

Can you see if saving a new Login item works or if it fills for a while and fails again. It will help us build up a picture of what is happening and what might work.

• fviktor
    fviktor
    Community Member
    edited January 2018

Hi @littlebobbytables,

Looks like I got the right support person this time:
    I've just created a brand new Login entry for the form. Opened an empty form on a new tab and 1Password filled it perfectly.

I don't know why my old Login entry I used previously stopped working. Maybe they changed the form, that's why. It might also do something with me trying the new 1Password for Chrome plugin, then reverting to the old one due to unrelated problems. I'm not sure.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    1Password 6.8.488
    Google Chrome

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation and the effective help.

Keep up the good work!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @fviktor,

It's definitely positive to hear that a new Login item filled successfully for you but should it stop filling again any time soon please do report back here. The most likely explanation for the old one not working would be if the form had changed even slightly and the change wouldn't even have to be visible thanks to what HTML and CSS allows for. Still, the filling strategy that you want 1Password to use does require they match and if for any reason they shouldn't it will stop filling again. There is potentially still one trick up the sleeve though should this happen so please mention me by name as you did above so our forums email me :smile: Hopefully though it just keeps working for you now.

This discussion has been closed.