Does cancelling delete 1Password data? [no, read for more details]

This discussion was created from comments split from: Upgrade from single user to a family account.

Comments

• twnsnry
    twnsnry
    Community Member

Will I lose all my vault info by cancelling my subscription?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@twnsnry: Since your moment doesn't seem to relate to the issue the other person was getting help with, I've split you off into a separate discussion.

Will I lose all my vault info by cancelling my subscription?

No. Whether you cancel your subscription or simply never subscribe, the account will just be frozen: you'll still be able to access your data to export it.

If, however, you delete your account permanently from the bottom of your Profile page in your account on 1Password.com, that will, "as it says on the tin", delete everything as well.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• frankly
    frankly
    Community Member

I currently own all my Mac and iOS versions of 1Password (long-time user). I am using a Primary vault synced via Dropbox. I have just started subscribing via a family account. I have two questions related to this topic:

1. I have copied my Primary vault over to my new Family account to the Private vault. I am now prepared to delete the Primary vault. Will my new Family vaults be stored locally on my machine? In other words, if I do not have network access, will I still have access to all of my passwords, etc.?
    2. If at some point, I decide to cancel my account, would I be able to copy my vault back to a Primary vault and go back to syncing via Dropbox? I'm asking because in your answer above you say the account would just be frozen. I take this to mean I would not be able to make changes to it (e.g. update passwords, add new logins, etc.).
  • rickfillion
    edited October 2017

Hi @frankly,

Let me try to answer those for you...

if I do not have network access, will I still have access to all of my passwords, etc.

Yes. The apps have a copy of all of the vaults locally. The only exception to this is Document files, which are downloaded on demand and cached locally.

If at some point, I decide to cancel my account, would I be able to copy my vault back to a Primary vault and go back to syncing via Dropbox

Yes, it's your data and we don't want to change that. There are complications that could arise if you're making use of Documents as there's no such thing in the other vault type. Or if you were to use a 1Password Teams vault where you have custom categories defined, then those will have issues too.

Basically if you stay within the compatible feature set, your data will easily transfer back. If you make use of 1Password.com only features, then you may end up having to do a bit of manual work to get the data into the older vault format that doesn't support those things.

I take this to mean I would not be able to make changes to it (e.g. update passwords, add new logins, etc.).

You're right. Being frozen mostly means not being able to edit the data. It has additional limitations like not being able to fill webpages, too.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• frankly
    frankly
    Community Member

Thanks for the help!

• You're welcome. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.