Request - right click context menu item

I often make use of the right click context menu 1password entry in Chrome when using the full 1password application/extension. Would it be possible to add a context menu entry to the Chrome extension version? I know there is a keyboard shortcut, but this would be a nice feature to round out the interface.

Thanks for the great work!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 0.8.6
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey @juneax,

Welcome to the 1Password for Chrome beta and our Support Forum!

Due to some differences between running 1Password entirely within the browser and having a native application to doing the heavy lifting for us, a context-menu link wouldn't render the 1Password popup directly where you click. It is certainly possible to have a context menu that activates 1Password for Chrome, but it will still render in the same spot as clicking the 1Password logo or using the keyboard shortcut.

That being said, we have some pretty nifty filling changes that I'd like you to check out in a release soon, and then you can let me know if this is something you think would still be beneficial.

Thanks for your suggestion and help!

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• haraldwithtwoehs
    haraldwithtwoehs
    Community Member

Um, [redacted competitor] does this without native support ...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@haraldwithtwoehs: I think you misunderstood Beyer 's comments. It's something we can explore as we continue working on the beta. ;)

• haraldwithtwoehs
    haraldwithtwoehs
    Community Member

I understood Beyer's comment to mean "it's not possible to add 1Password to the right-click context menu without a native helper". Is this incorrect?

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017

@haraldwithtwoehs: That isn't correct and I apologize for not being clear.

We can definitely add to the context menu that displays when you right-click on a page. That's a simple Chrome API, but it's what we can do after a user clicks that menu that's slightly different. For example, on macOS, we can call 1Password mini (which is part of 1Password for Mac, not the 1Password browser extension) anywhere in or outside of the web browser. With an app running entirely within the web browser, we are slightly more limited, but that doesn't mean we can't or won't add something similar before our first public release.

Thanks for letting us know you'd find this feature useful, we greatly appreciate your feedback!

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• ra_
    ra_
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

It would be good to still have some alternative way to launch 1P even when the menu icon is not visible.

The most notable example of this problem I've seen is at the end of the eBay payment flow, when it opens a pop-up window asking the user to log into PayPal. This window is launched without the normal browser toolbar visible so there is no 1P button to click.

Previously it was possible to right click on the page itself and use the 1P context menu item to fill in my credentials. This is no longer possible, and the ctrl+. shortcut doesn't seem to work on such pop-ups either*, so I'm reduced to copying and pasting manually.

Admittedly it's a really bad login system but it's a pretty high-profile site for the Chrome extension to fail on.

* is this a bug?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We've got some ideas in this area. Just keep using it and providing feedback like this, and I'm sure we'll have something to share in the future. ;)

• ra_
    ra_
    Community Member

Just spotted this thing:

This solves the problem much more neatly than a context menu imo. Nice work!

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@ra_: My thoughts exactly, and this is why I said:

we have some pretty nifty filling changes that I'd like you to check out in a release soon

I figured you would think that was nicer than a context menu. This is the first iteration of inline filling, but we are improving it literally as I type. Improvements coming to your machine soon!

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• juneax
    juneax
    Community Member

Just to follow up on this, since I created the thread - the solution you all (AgileBits) came up with works well. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad you like it! I'm enjoying it myself. Thanks again for the feedback! We're listening. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.