BiG Apple Issue: “smart punctuation" and Passwords (e.g.: dash-dash converted to en-dash)

Options
EnDash
EnDash
Community Member

1pw wouldn't accept my password, and it took me multiple tries and 20 minutes to remember this itsy-bitsy piece of Apple Update arcana. (I'm a text nerd, so I recovered quickly. But others might just freak out.)

Check this out: I'm typing on my iMac on Firefox 56.0 (64-bit) and:

--

Boom. Two separate dashes (doesn't get auto-converted to en-dash).

My 2 requests:

1.) Is there a way for you to add a Preferences toggle to tell 1pw to either accept or ignore smart punctuation?

2.) Please disseminate this smart punctuation detail to all 1pw users--possibly via an email or in a release note.

On one hand this is a subtle thing, but on the other: it points to an OS/app/UX-wide “input disagreement”. And that’s spooky as hell to me when pertaining to security and passwords.

Thanks,
Nick

p.s. I have yet to check into this on my iPad Pro in iOS 11.0.2

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@EnDash: Thanks for reaching out! I'm sorry to hear you had so much trouble entering your Master Password. It isn't possible for us to change this behaviour, as it's handled on the OS level. I can't say I've ever had the occasion to run into this myself, but it makes sense now that you mention it. I didn't enable that feature, and it doesn't seem to work on the keyboard layout I use anyway. I'm a bit surprised that this happens in a Secure Input field, but you'd have to check with Apple to find out if this is working as designed. We can't actually email all 1Password users, as we don't have their addresses unless they signed up for our newsletter. And I don't think we want to spam people in general. Thanks for bringing this up though! I'm sure it will help others who run into a similar issue. :)

• EnDash
    EnDash
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for getting back! And: I hear you.

Nick

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @EnDash (Nick), on behalf of brenty. :)

p.s. I have yet to check into this on my iPad Pro in iOS 11.0.2

I noticed AppleInsider posted this on September 26:

Tips: Turn off iOS 11 Smart Punctuation to avoid data entry problems - iPhone Discussions on AppleInsider Forums

This discussion has been closed.