1P v4 skipping the username in the Microsoft Teams application signin

1P and Microsoft's Teams app aren't getting along.

Having followed this post to add the App, I can issue the ^\ shortcut and be presented with the choice of credentials to use, but when I click on it, the end result is only a filled-out password field and no username - even though the cursor started on the username.

I'm guessing some of the auto-smarts that fires when you tab off the username is getting in the way. I've tried all of the check-box options to no avail. Are there any hidden / not prominent config options that I can try which might reveal/resolve the problem? Is there any way to inject a pause between the tab after the username and transmission of the password?

Interestingly I edited the account, deleting the password from it, but it still doesn't result in a filled-in username, which strikes me as peculiar.

• G.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win10 x64
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• @Greig: You could be correct about tabbing not behaving as desired. This can happen and, in this case, I'd suggest trying having auto-type fill each field individually and see if you get better behavior here:

1. Select the username field.
    2. In the main 1Password 4 app, select the Login item you want to use.
    3. In the details area, click the auto-type icon next to the Username field, then click Ok.
    4. Select the password field.
    5. Click the auto-type icon next to the Password field, click Ok, then (assuming all has filled properly) click Sign in.

Let us know if that works any better, or if you happen to see that auto-type is putting the username in the wrong place as that would be helpful to know too. :+1:

• Greig
    Greig
    Community Member

Hi @bundtkate that's actually worse: nothing's pasted at all.

1. Select the username field in the app.
    2. In the main 1Password 4 app, select the Login item you want to use.
    3. In the details area, click the auto-type icon next to the Username field
    4. "Auto-type will enter your user name"
    5. Click OK
    6. Nothing happens.
    7. Re-focus on the password field in the app
    8. Repeat steps 3-5 with the Password.
    9. Nothing happens.

Repeating having checked the "Don't show this message again" in the auto-type popup made no difference.

:-(

• @Greig: Boo urns! Though this is typically something we talk about with websites, I'm sure there are also design decisions apps can make that will prevent 1Password from filling properly for them. You can always fall back on copy/paste from the main 1Password app or from mini in your notification area, though I will freely admit that sites and apps that make me do that quickly make their way onto my hate list. I do see that Microsoft Teams has a free trial and it's possible someone around here even has an account we might be able to use for some testing ourselves to see if we can find a way to improve this. Just to make sure I'm covering my bases here, though, do you have any anti-malware software or other third-party apps that might try to prevent 1Password from interacting with other apps? Are you able to successfully fill in other apps besides Microsoft Teams? I'll do some fiddling and see what I can find out. :+1:

• Greig
    Greig
    Community Member

hi @bundtkate. Thanks for that. I don't believe I have anything running here that will stop 1P from interacting with other apps. I'm just using Windows Defender for a/v.

I can't think of another [non-MS] app that requires creds, but I have no problems getting Auto-type to plug values into (say) an e-mail or other document.

I've since found that the issue I'm reporting is also 100% dupable with the PC-based OneNote client, presumably 'cause it's the same sign-in engine as Teams and the rest of the O365 platform's components. As such hopefully that will make it easier to test/repro and hopefully resolve.

It's certainly weird - I can ^V to paste into the MS boxes AOK, it's just that I guess MS has blocked how you're presumably stuffing keys into the keyboard buffer or something??

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Greig: Sorry if I'm being a bit dense here. I'm not actually familiar with "Microsoft Teams" but was hoping to test this to find a workaround for you. However, the only downloads I'm seeing are for mobile devices: https://teams.microsoft.com/start

I know there are some apps that 1Password cannot fill into, since they're not using standard text fields (Flash and Air were notorious for this, but are fortunately falling out of favour)... ah never mind, here it is: https://teams.microsoft.com/downloads

So, what I found is that adding the "Login to Microsoft Teams" window ID to the login will give me this "URL": ADALWebBrowserHost. And, at least as far as I can tell without having a real account, checking "Send Ctrl+A Before Auto-Type" seems to allow 1Password to clear out the username field first when filling. Let me know if that helps!

P.S: Another wrinkle I found is that closing the first "Login to Microsoft Teams" window opens a Chrome(?) web view, which I could not for the life of me get to work with 1Password.

• Greig
    Greig
    Community Member

Hey @brenty thanks for making the effort there. I'm also working with the Teams client as "ADALWebBrowserHost".

I've exited everything I can on my machine (including everything but 1P & Teams from the tray) but regardless of the setting of "Send ^A Before Auto-Type" the best I can do is end up with a blank for the user name and "n" dots in the password field that align with the number of chars in my password. (This is the same as the image at the top of this thread).

Interestingly though, I can't figure out how to make the username field actually /go/ blank from the keyboard! Pressing spacebar tab or tab, either pops "that's not an e-mail address" help-text, or just leaves me with the placeholder text "someone@example.com":

Combos of CR, Shift-CR aren't doing it for me.

The only apparent change I can get it to make here is if i set Submit=Always - then we end up back with the placeholder text and a prompt to enter a User ID:

Teams is Microsoft's NextBigThing and it will be quite a coup if we can cajole it into receiving some creds from 1P. You shouldn't need some real creds to test this, but I can create you a test account on my O365 Tenant if you're feeling inclined to play with it some more?

• G.
  • @Greig: To add a dose of mystery, the standard procedure works just fine for me, no Send Ctrl+A Before Auto-Type or anything. Worked right out of the box. Curiouser and curiouser. Did you happen to try the "New Sign-in experience" brenty mentioned? Again, he said it didn't work for him, but at least the username portion worked for me (I can't get past that step since I'm not using a real account). Given the fact that we're having such inconsistent experiences here, it may be worth giving that new sign-in flow a try.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Maybe there are different versions of the client. Did you try the one I linked to above?

• Greig
    Greig
    Community Member

Hi @bundtkate. @brenty made no mention here of the New Sign-in experience. Perhaps that was in your internal case notes or another ticket? I'm increasingly using that mode exclusively BTW.

That "traditional-looking" Office 365 credential screen (either mode) displays if you abort ("X") the "Login to Microsoft Teams" popup shown in all of the above images.

Both the new and old sign-in experience manifest to 1P as "Chrome_WidgetWin_1" and for me fail 100% of the time to detect the ^\ shortcut, but do work if you manually step the process through with the Auto-Type button from the 1P v4 windows app (although I still need to manually click Sign-In).

It's puzzling that your experience is so different. You're on a PC and not one of those Mac thingies? Unfortunately the "About/Version" isn't working at the moment for me to ID my version, and as you can't sign in it's probably moot. (Actually, Control Panel / Programs and Features reports I'm using v1.0.00.25151).

• Greig
    Greig
    Community Member

Hi @bundtkate. @brenty made no mention here of the New Sign-in experience. Perhaps that was in your internal case notes or another ticket? I'm increasingly using that mode exclusively BTW.

That "traditional-looking" Office 365 credential screen (either mode) displays if you abort ("X") the "Login to Microsoft Teams" popup shown in all of the above images.

Both the new and old sign-in experience manifest to 1P as "Chrome_WidgetWin_1" and for me fail 100% of the time to detect the ^\ shortcut, but do work if you manually step the process through with the Auto-Type button from the 1P v4 windows app (although I still need to manually click Sign-In).

It's puzzling that your experience is so different. You're on a PC and not one of those Mac thingies? Unfortunately the "About/Version" isn't working at the moment for me to ID my version, and as you can't sign in it's probably moot. (Actually, Control Panel / Programs and Features reports I'm using v1.0.00.25151).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

@Greig: Yes I did, but I had no idea it had a name like that:

P.S: Another wrinkle I found is that closing the first "Login to Microsoft Teams" window opens a Chrome(?) web view, which I could not for the life of me get to work with 1Password.

Sorry! :lol:

I have access to no less than THREE sign in windows with this crazy app:

Small "vertical" one to start: "Login to Microsoft Teams". Closing that opens "Sign in to your account". And then from there I can click "Try it now" to go to this "New sign-in experience". The latter two are in the same Chrome web view, and I couldn't get 1Password to fill in either of those.

It's puzzling that your experience is so different.

I agree. Normally I'd have uninstalled it immediately after confirming, but I had a hunch this wasn't over. ;)

You're on a PC and not one of those Mac thingies?

What? Windows 10! :lol:

Besides "it works", I can also say that the fields flash, making me think 1Password tried to fill but failed, just before the username and password fields are filled. But I wonder: did you try creating a new login in 1Password, or are you just trying to repurpose an old one you'd already been using? That may be the key.

Unfortunately the "About/Version" isn't working at the moment for me to ID my version, and as you can't sign in it's probably moot. (Actually, Control Panel / Programs and Features reports I'm using v1.0.00.25151).

1.0.00.26863 here. Did you try installing the one I linked above? Otherwise, it's possible that something else on your system is just interfering with 1Password trying to fill it. I keep my machines pretty lean, so I wouldn't be surprised if you've got stuff running in the background I've never even heard of. :)

• @Greig: Just to (perhaps uselessly) add to @brenty's notes, I'm a PC person through and through so I'm testing on my desktop PC running Windows 10 (Pro, as I'm sure it could potentially matter). I have one of those Mac thingies, but so far as I'm concerned it was built by wizards, so it mostly only gets used to test other Mac things (and when I need a change of scenery and can't drag my PC tower to the living room). :wink: I, too, am using the same version as brenty, so I'd echo his recommendation to give that and creating the login anew a try. :+1:

• Greig
    Greig
    Community Member

Hi @bundtkate & @brenty. Apologies for the radio silence - I've been distracted a little.

Since last time I've updated to 1.0.00.28451, leapfrogging you Brenty! Keep up!

I've just tried creating a new Login, and at the same time removing the ADALWebBrowserHost "URL" from all of the other sign-ins. Alas my experience is largely unchanged - but occasionally if I'm lucky I can get the password showing in the username field.

I think I'll take Brenty's advice next week & build a new test VM, unpolluted by plugins and utils. I'll add Teams & 1P and see how I go. Stay tuned. Thanks for the help.

• G.
  • @Greig This has been an interesting case study to be sure. As soon as I learned we're all having different experiences with MS Teams, I knew we were probably in for a bit of a slog. I'll be interested to know what you find out. :+1:

• Greig
    Greig
    Community Member

Oh & BTW @bundtkate, thanks for sharing your Windows pedigree earlier. I've previously perceived AgileBits to be a Mac shop with everything back-ported to Windows, with Windows being the second-class citizen (for a change). Clearly that was a little off the mark. Phew.

• @Greig: Oh, I have a pedigree now? Fancy. We did start out as a Mac shop, but we Windows users are growing in numbers every day and our Windows team is top notch. I know I'm biased, but they work so hard on 1Password for Windows every day and, though we still have some improving to do, I'm already so proud of what we've built and am glad my (friendly) shots at Apple can help to bring more Windows folk into the 1Password family. :chuffed:

• Greig
    Greig
    Community Member

So, a new week, a brand new Windows 10 PC:
    1) Connected to the domain
    2) Installed Dropbox
    3) Installed 1P
    4) Installed Teams

My experience is the same as before: can't get creds to push in there, not with ^\, not with Auto-Type. Not even with the new "ADALWebBrowserHost"-only login account created specially for it. Yes, copy/paste via Clipboard works. Ugh.

I'm close to writing this off as a mystery with no solution - but lots of fingers pointing at whatever magic MS is performing probably deliberately to block password managers & keyloggers. :-( Or of course it's just me. That could be it too. Do you have any last-resort deep debug trickery we can do privately, away from public eyes?

• G.
  • Greig
    Greig
    Community Member

Ooh: Hang on - one of the variants of the signin box DOES work with Auto-Type!

• @Greig: What what? That's awesome to hear! Microsoft's indecision actually saves the day for once! Out of curiosity, which one is it that works? Although I'm a bit suspicious given our inconsistent experiences, it seems you had the most trouble, so hopefully what works for you will work for others. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.