Feature Request: A form field type that allows us to obfuscate text that is not a password.

adamlogan
adamlogan
Community Member

Frequently there are situations where I want to obfuscate text that are not passwords.

I have used the password field type to obfuscate text (even though they are not passwords) but I am terrified to use that because it is so easy to click the password generator button, in that event the information that was in that field is now gone, having been replaced with some gibberish strong password string. I don't want to have to worry about that. The reason I use 1Password is so I don't have to worry about the loss of personal and important information.

So this request is really asking two things.

1. Make it harder to regenerate passwords accidentally for the password type form field.
  2. Make a new form field type that lets us obfuscate non-password information, do not include the regenerate password function in this field.

This request is for the whole 1Password platform, and the database than just the Mac version, but I couldn't find an appropriate place. The lounge sounded too off topic to post this there.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Obfusicate text

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@adamlogan: This is a fine place, as we do try a lot of new things on the Mac first and then bring them to other platforms once we're happy with the design. We don't have any plans to do what you're asking, but it's something we can consider as we develop future versions. That said, it's a bit of a tough sell to ask that we make things harder for users. Keep in mind that if you click the password generator and decide you didn't want to, all you need to do is click Cancel or press Escape to back out without saving the change (but of course with 1Password.com, this is even less of a concern since item history is saved). I think it could also be confusing to have a "password" field without access to the password generator, but I can see how that would be useful in some scenarios. Thanks for bringing this up!

• adamlogan
    adamlogan
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

Harder can be better defined as better placement/UI design choice. I remember clicking that regenerate password icon not knowing what it was, hovering a mouse over it doesn't tell us what it is. The only way I could figure it out was to click. Oops. Learned quick what that does.

It doesn't need to be removed, just rearranged/reconsidered as a design problem. Even though I know what it is now, I have to be careful since that password regenerator thing is in the same general space (right side of the form field) as the click to copy text (the only difference is being in edit mode vs not). That's like putting the shutdown button right next to the escape button; it's in a critical spot and it's stressful to put it there for people who need to use the escape key a lot. I think the password regeneration button needs to at least have text stating forwardly what it is, "regenerate password" preferably not as a pop-up, but at a minimum have a pop up if it's going to be an icon only button, and not be in a place where we typically click to copy passwords. Maybe make it red so it looks dangerous.

I store passwords and information I need to copy sometimes, like a PIN, security key, security questions and answers. I don't want those to be exposed in case I need to whip out 1Pass in a screen recording or in a place with lots of eyes. I did exactly this the other day and was so grateful that the specific entry I pulled up didn't have anything with exposed data.

Questions and answers serve as a password for many websites, they also usually allow the associated email address or phone number to serve as the username, so it's an easy strategy for a determined individual who is likely to find that information easily.

That's cool that you have versioning for the web customers, although slightly off topic. Some people like me view 1Pass as one more piece of software in our suite of security software. We'd like to see features added that make it more secure. Transitioning to the web/cloud model definitely made it more convenient for a lot of people. Two thumbs up, one is "good for them". and the other "Good for you." I might even capitulate and start subscribing before long. Keep improving on security-minded features and UI design though.

Definitely, let me know if the team reviews this. I'd be willing to download a beta version to give any feedback on these topics if you explore this. I prefer to stay on stable releases most of the time but I'd be willing to make an exception for this.

A quick and easy feature to implement is a nice break/ morale booster in between the gargantuan tasks I'm sure your team faces.

Cheers.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@adamlogan - thanks for the suggestion(s)! I know how opaque the decision-making process of a software company can seem from the outside, but we really do read everything that comes our way, and many of the features you see in 1Password today got their start initially as suggestions from the user community. Of course, we can't greenlight and work on every suggestion we receive, but the ones we like, we definitely take a closer look at. Thanks for being part of a vibrant user community that cares enough about the direction and UI of 1Password to make your wishes known!

Regarding betas, although we consider ours relatively stable in terms of not actually doing any damage to your data, I totally get why someone would be reluctant to use beta versions of mission-critical security software. However, if you're ever interested, they're quite easy to find -- in 1Password for Mac, just go to Preferences > Updates and click "Include Beta Builds." And let us know if we can help with anything in the future!

• adamlogan
    adamlogan
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

@Lars Thanks for your response. Good to know about the betas :).

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of @lars, you're very welcome! Please let us know if you run into any issues while using our beta versions of 1Password.

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.