Where is 1Browser? [⌘5 or long-press on bottom of screen]

skippingrock
skippingrock
Community Member
edited November 2017 in iOS

I want to pull up an empty 1Browser window
I can’t now. without tapping a URL in the main app.

I want to get back to an open 1Browser window after being in the main app.
I can’t now. without tapping another URL in the main app.

I want to be able to switch to the main app fro 1Browser so that I can find the login credentials another site (because though they have different URLs they are the same system).
I can’t now. without tapping done find the login and find some URL in the main app to get to 1Browser.

The only way to get to the 1Browser and the window you have open is to spawn another window, wether you need it or not.

Your removal of the tab to switch from the main app and 1Browser has made things incredibly frustrating.

Please put it back.

1Password Version: 690005
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Good morning @skippingrock! Thanks for taking the time to leave us some feedback. While working on the updates for iOS 11 we made some changes to our tab bar that no longer accommodated the 1Browser button anymore. We decided to push it out in beta as is to gather some feedback and see if we could come up with a solution we were happy with.

I understand it's not everyone's use case, but the power of 1Browser is that it provides the ability to go and fill right within 1Password for iOS. At this point we haven't decided if we're going to bring 1Browser's dedicated button back, but we're definitely willing to have the conversation.

• Oh, and @rudy just reminded me, we did add keyboard shortcuts in this most recent version, so if you've got a keyboard you can ⌘5 to go to 1Browser and ⌘4 to go back to the main app.

• Reading through your feedback again, it sounds like you would get as much utility out of opening the sites in Safari and app switching back and forth to 1Password (or using the 1Password extension in Safari). Is there a portion of your use case I'm missing?

• AskAli
    AskAli
    Community Member

@MrRooni Personally, i really enjoy the removal, no offense but I found it kind of useless, 99% of the time I'm using my mobile safari and if I ever need to log-in I use the extension. I simply have no need for the browser, it's useful in the edge case where I would need to open and fill from the field within the item but otherwise usually I prefer to do everything on the browser I already use which is Safari.

I really enjoy the removal and much prefer it to stay that way? Perhaps it could be polled, I'm not sure, but I like it how it is. I don't find much use out of it personally.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

Is there a portion of your use case I'm missing?

A reason for me: logins in 1Browser are protected by Touch ID (or Face ID;), while those in Safari are not. If the site does not log me out (or I forget to log out or remove cookies) it's no problem in 1Browser, but it might be in Safari, when I share my iOS device with other persons.

• That's an interesting point. Thanks for sharing. We'll keep that in mind.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member

It’s the main reason I use the 1Browser.

But to further on my point there are occasions where it is not possible to use the Safar/1Password extension.

Take OpenDNS.com as a example. I’ve had my account for many years. Recently I needed to set it up at home to ensure some guests didn’t use our internet inappropriately.

I went to use 1Password extension in Safari to sign-in.
    My log-in was missing! Where is it, where did it go? The search doesn’t work in the extension the way you would want because for some reason it doesn’t allow you to search for anything in my vaults, only logins with URLs that match the website that you are browsing. So a search provided no results.

I go back to the 1P application to look, yes, there is the login, but why was it not showing up? I found out that Cisco had created a new SSO server under login.umbrella.com. Using 1Browser I was able to find the login copy it into the new login page to get it. Later I added in the new URL to the log-in.

But those times where you need to refence something in your vault, say a family member’s Personal Health Number, Passport number or some other sensitive information. You cannot do this easily with the 1Browser extension. And as @XIII stated, there are times where you want to have certain pages open but you need them to be secured from unwanted eyes behind our Touch ID or master password. Things like online banking, government tax account, travel visa applications and more.

A keyboard shortcut to get to something that you often need on demand is not ideal. Starting with the login page is not alway possible too.

In another example, the CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) website doesn’t let you bookmark the login page because the URL ID is dynamically created. If you try, you get the message that you’ve tried to login via a bookmarked page and makes us go to the canada.ca domain site (which is a different base URL).

The other thing is if the only way in to 1Browser is with a URL login click from the app, you end up with a lot of open browsing windows with no way to close them except through opening another window by clicking a Login URL.

@MrRooni with that all in mind, you can see that Opening in Safari is not an acceptable or the desired interaction.

How about a gesture to swipe left and right across the app to move between the 1Password Vaults and the 1Browser?

I’ve many times in the past tired to make this case that the 1Browser is needed and has a use. Yes, we know that the WebKit that Apple provides isn’t the latest Safari compatibility. We got that, but we’re not using it to engage in browsing that is needing the latest capabilities. We’re using it for a secure, restricted, and truly private web interaction. (Safari Privacy mode isn’t want I’m talking about either.)

Am I making sense now and understand why we continue use and need 1Browser? For sites that are ultra sensitive.

An analogy would be this:

There’s the Photos app. There are times where you have photos that you don’t want others to see or have access (or exposure… sorry bad pun) to. Yes there is the Hide photo feature (just like there is the Safari Privacy mode). But there are times where this is not enough. You need to have these photos on your device (maybe contents of a safety deposit box … yes, I’d put it in 1P… but anyway) but you cannot risk someone every being able to see them. So in response you have apps that fill that need. Photo vaults with password protection. Separate, secure, but still accessible on demand by you on your device.

There are numerous occasions where the same thing is needed for websites. Sure you could make sure that you close the page every time you leave Safari, but that isn’t always possible. Say you are filling out a form and need to get some information. You can’t close the page because you lose the data already entered, you might have to finish. That’s were 1Browser comes in. You can leave the app and feel secure that no one is going to be able to see the page. Maybe you are doing your taxes and logged into your work’s intranet. Leaving it open could open the door for someone the access something at work that they shouldn’t.

Yes, most of the time this involves leaving your device somewhere, but not always. Sometimes you forget you had it open and go through inspection, sometimes you share the device with your kids and don’t want them to muck something up because you left the window open because you still needed it open, like an eTicket or something.

There is a need for a secured browser. There is none more powerful than 1Browser.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@skippingrock: I agree, and those are really good examples. I'm sorry for the trouble there. The 1Password iOS extension is really great, but we are limited in what we can do there. Since there's no facility to open a web page to fill a login on a different site, we have it only show results matching the current URL (since that what it can interact with). I hadn't thought of it before (maybe because I use 1Browser a lot myself), but you're right that using the main 1Password app makes it easier to find and use logins in that regard. And "most powerful secure browser" does have a nice ring to it. ;)

The tough thing is that both inside and outside of AgileBits, 1Browser is pretty polarizing: people either love it or hate it. It's definitely felt like a bit of a liability recently with it causing 1Password for iOS to be classified as a 17+ app, and regardless of how much I love it that puts it in the doghouse for me because that affects customers I interact with every day. You raise some great points about the benefits of 1Browser, and we'll be sure to keep that in mind as we continue developing the app. Thank you so much for caring enough to provide this feedback! :blush:

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

Interesting about the 17+ rating.
    But I do wonder, how big is the market of potential users using 1Password that is under 17?
    I don’t discount that there are users that are under, but most likely they are using it in conjunction with a parent that is the main purchaser of the app or service anyhow.

It’d be cool if it could be a free in-app purchase to activate the 1Browser with a 17+ rating so that the main app could have a lower rating. But I don’t know if Apple has made that a possibility. Being able to do that would open the ability to solve other problems, like making the purchase of a million coins or something in some game not available to those under 4 of something or require permission from a parent. Something to push Apple for if not possible.

I thought of spinning the 1Browser off as a separate app, but I see that development would just die after time. Also, for the 1Broswer app to unrestricted access to the 1Password vaults might be tricky? Or maybe not using some sort of access sharing… but you’d basically end up with the current 1Password anyway.

I’m just saying that I hear your conundrum, but I always know that there is always another way to do something without sacrificing features that are so powerful. You really have a gem here with 1Broswer, but as with all polarized ideas, they usually die because no one wants to risk marketing it.

Below removed because I just read about the rollback! Whohoo! I’m a happy Beta-testing camper again.

FYI, I’ve decided to leave the beta for now so that I can have the access to 1Browser that I crucially need. Though I have an iPad Pro, I don’t always have a keyboard with me, so accessing through a keyboard shortcut is not practical at all.

So, this is probably my last contribution here for a while. Sorry, I really love helping you all with out-of-the-box idea feedback, but 6.8.2 I think is the end-of-the-line for me.

Quickly, I’m trying to reinstall iTunes 12.6 so that I can download an archive version of the app before 6.9 replaces it. Whew! Got it!

All the best and hope you can find a solution that works for us all.
    Sincerely, @skippingrock.

• rudy
    edited September 2017

@skippingrock,

It isn't actually a rollback, we just changed the goal of 6.9. 7.0 is still coming in the future, @MrRooni might have something for you though.

Rudy

• AskAli
    AskAli
    Community Member

@rudy @MrRooni That's what I figured, it seemed to me like the early 6.9 beta build features will be making its way onto 7.0.

Do you usually aim for a concurrent release for Mac and iOS? Meaning 7.0 or even 6.9 for both platforms will be out at roughly the same time? Right now they're on the same build number. :)

• @AskAli,

Nope. Mac has a much longer lead time than the iOS version for 6.9 and 7.0.

Rudy

• AskAli
    AskAli
    Community Member

:(
    Thanks for letting me know though!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• AskAli
    AskAli
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

Wow, that was an extremely timely update, as soon I woke up in the morning around 6 am I saw the update on my phone!

If I may ask, do you specify for it to come out on a certain date, aka today, or do you just submit it 24 hours prior?
    I'm curious if you have an update come out at a certain time/day or is it just whenever Apple finished approving the update.

Edit: Seeing drag and drop on the iPhone would be nice as well, I'm not sure of the usefulness of it but it'd still be nice, it's available on a lot of stock apps such as notes or files.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Wow, that was an extremely timely update, as soon I woke up in the morning around 6 am I saw the update on my phone!

@AskAli: ;) :+1:

If I may ask, do you specify for it to come out on a certain date, aka today, or do you just submit it 24 hours prior? I'm curious if you have an update come out at a certain time/day or is it just whenever Apple finished approving the update.

It depends on the situation. There's some control over when it goes "live", but this isn't completely reliable due to CDNs...and sometimes "as soon as possible" is best. :)

Edit: Seeing drag and drop on the iPhone would be nice as well, I'm not sure of the usefulness of it but it'd still be nice, it's available on a lot of stock apps such as notes or files.

As far as I know, Drag and Drop on iPhone is very limited (within the same app). It should just work since we're using Apple's APIs though. Just not sure how it would be useful in 1Password itself.

• CyberNaruto
    CyberNaruto
    Community Member

I agree with skipping, now i have to repeatedly open urls just to keep the 1browser open :/ :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

@CyberNaruto: Thanks for the feedback on the beta! We'll see what the best course of action will be.

ref: OPI-4218

• CyberNaruto
    CyberNaruto
    Community Member

Well after using various sites (especially those that don’t work with 1Password’s autofill) i can say that it’s highly annoying to have to leave the browser, copy the username, open a url ( to get 1 browser open), close it, go back to my tab, paste it & then do the same for the password, even more so if i need to copy something outside of the app into the browser -.-

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member

… especially when the 1Password extension can only provide you with URLs and passwords for the existing site that you are on.

• There is no way to use the extension to look-up (search) for passwords from other sites that may share the same log-in, but use or are migrating to a new domain (e.g. opendns.org -> opendns.com -> umbrella.com)
    1. I have to go copy the URL, go back to 1Password.app and edit the entry to include the new domain and then go back to Safari again.
    • There is no way to use the extension on a blank Safari tab and be able to choose any log-in and go straight to the log-in page and sign-in.
    1. You have to manually (remember) and type in the URL into Safari,
    2. navigate to the log-in page yourself and then use the 1Password extension,
    3. select the log-in, (or do the above action if you realize the URL doesn't match),
    4. have the 1Password extension populate the fields,
    5. or when you realize that the site has changed something with their log-in fields and the Auto-fill is not working so again do something again with the above step,
    6. like going to 1Password extension again individually copying first the log-in ID paste it into the new and then going to 1Password extension again copying the password and paste that in, or
    7. thinking that's stupid and try to recreate the log-in with a new entry in the 1Password extension, which isn't easy or back in the the 1Password.app which is harder because there is (or rather was) no easy way to get to the 1Browser to do that,
    8. or going to the Mac/Windows and doing it there.
    • There is no way to easily copy or reference other data stored within 1Password's other categories (Like birth certificates, passport numbers, addresses, software license codes for upgrading, etc.
    1. You have to unlock, copy, switch, paste, switch, unlock, copy, switch, paste, etc.
    2. You have to be lucky and be on an iPad and able to use (or have an iPad that supports) split screen or drag-and-drop.

Suffice to say… without 1Browser and easy access… it's inefficient and frustrating,
    especially when you are trying to do all this on an small device that is traditionally single app focused, and harder still with device that doesn't have TouchID (or don't feel secure or due to security policies are not able to use TouchID…) or more plausible, not able to or comfortable using FaceID.

1Browser, It's a great feature… it's one of the things that sets 1Password apart from other password vaults…

What I would love to see is the ability to have features, such as the 1Browser be able to be added as a Free in-app-purchase; but have the in-app-purchase able to have it's own age rating. So in the in 1Password settings you could have [FREE] 1Browser integrated web browser (17+).

I would love that, then even apps Pintrest or others could have that; also things like Buy 1,000,000 coins for $100 on my kids racer games could be rated as 17+. We should all start pressing Apple on that ability and option for developers to make their apps more universally accessible.

But I'm curious, being in UX/IA, to know the actual reasons, and situations that would need to be in place in where a minor would want to purchase 1Password on their own and not with their family and not use a family account, and thus accessible through Family-sharing. What would be the use-case for them to need to need to "purchase" it on their own, without their parents knowledge, have their own vault, and maybe their own individual 1Password account subscription.

The only case is that I can think where a minor would want to initiate all of this on their own without their parents knowledge or involvement is if there was an issue of trust between the minor and parent. That the child has personal security concerns where they need to protect themselves from their parents or guardians, or if they are getting into mischief and hide secrets from those that care for them. I think that situation is pretty rare. I think in most cases the parent would be the one initiating the usage with their children and the Family-sharing and approval option would be sufficient.

But either way is just an assumption and would be interesting to figure out how this use-case could be measured.
    @skippingrock

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Well after using various sites (especially those that don’t work with 1Password’s autofill) i can say that it’s highly annoying to have to leave the browser, copy the username, open a url ( to get 1 browser open), close it, go back to my tab, paste it & then do the same for the password, even more so if i need to copy something outside of the app into the browser -.-

@CyberNaruto: I hear you. I'll be sure to bring up your comments with the team. :blush:

There is no way to easily copy or reference other data stored within 1Password's other categories (Like birth certificates, passport numbers, addresses, software license codes for upgrading, etc.

@skippingrock: Or other logins, as you pointed out earlier. I think we're getting off the rails a bit (some of your other comments regarding ratings, in-app purchase, and sharing — those are important topics but perhaps better discussed elsewhere), but you bring up a lot of good points about how 1Browser fills some gaps in your day-to-day use. Thank you for taking the time to raise that. I'll be sure to pass this along as well. :blush:

ref: OPI-4218

• Good morning, everyone! Today's beta has a release note in it just for you. Please give it a try and let me know what you think:

[NEW] Long-pressing on the tab bar at the bottom of the screen will activate 1Browser.

• AskAli
    AskAli
    Community Member

I love this implementation, a perfect middle ground. No complaints here.

• Thanks @AskAli :chuffed:

• AskAli
    AskAli
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

I have a suggestion actually. It’s small but I think it’ll make things a bit more fluid and consistent with the general iOS experience.

I frequently swipe right on items and then click copy password to copy the password. I think it’d be nice to be able to swipe all the way right to copy a password in one fluid motion. Similar to how one can swipe left to delete an alarm in one swipe. Instead of the current two steps to swipe and then tap to copy a password.

Not sure if I explained it clearly so let me know if I can clarify.

An example of this is ios 11’s new ability to swipe all the way left to clear a notification. Previously it would take two actions. A small swipe then a tap.

Another example, is swiping left to delete an email in the mail app on macOS.

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

I’m not a fan of hidden UI functions.
    They are not easily found and are easily forgotten and completely disregarding to those with accessibility needs.
    I’m also not a fan of long press activations.
    They are difficult to maintain or avoid for those with mobility issues.

I know my mother would never be able to use it because she has arthritis in her fingers and pressing and steady pressing a long time on things is both difficult and painful. I also know others that must make a concerted press for each action sometimes the press is too long sometimes it’s too short. There is a gentleman on the bus that take who has no fine motor controls in his hand. Because of this, he has a rubber nub that he’s had grafted to his forehead to use as his finger. I’m amazed as to how he’s able to use his device, but the rising popularity of long pressing is not going to make his life easier. Yes, I know there is a setting for this under Assistive Touch. But the button is still hidden, invisible, and easy to inadvertently trigger without knowing why or how you might do it again, or not.

I have seen (for example in the new iOS 11 control strip the continuous acccidental activation of long press interaction; fortunately for those, like the brightness and volume controls, the function and position remains the same for those that have to take time for each tap. For 1P, pressing on the tab bar might not actually be a press, but just where they were needing tho hold the device.

I really don’t see the issue of why it can’t have it’s own button on the menu strip.
    Having it as a long-press, invisible, non-button button is just not good UX nor good accessibility.

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member

Follow on… I can see the potential for many users not liking this implementation.
    Especially for the reasons I spoke.

A user with slow mobility wanting to switch from one tab to another (say the Favourites tab to the Categories tab), will press on the Categories button to switch to it, but be frustrated that s/he pressed it a bit too long and is now in this 1Browser window. For someone unfamiliar with the 1Browser might even think that they got switched to a different application altogether and thusly disoriented.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I’m not a fan of hidden UI functions. They are not easily found and are easily forgotten and completely disregarding to those with accessibility needs. I’m also not a fan of long press activations. They are difficult to maintain or avoid for those with mobility issues.

@skippingrock: Fantastic points. This is great feedback. We'll see what we can do to make it better without having it get in the way.

For 1P, pressing on the tab bar might not actually be a press, but just where they were needing tho hold the device.

I could certainly imagine this being a bigger problem with the iPhone X. Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I frequently swipe right on items and then click copy password to copy the password. I think it’d be nice to be able to swipe all the way right to copy a password in one fluid motion. Similar to how one can swipe left to delete an alarm in one swipe. Instead of the current two steps to swipe and then tap to copy a password.

@AskAli: Thanks for the suggestion! I think we want to make sure people aren't accidentally copying sensitive data to the clipboard, but it's certainly something we can consider. :)

• AskAli
    AskAli
    Community Member

Sure! There’s always the clear clipboard after 45 seconds option. That could be enabled by default but I’m not sure that’s the best course of action as it isn’t currently at the moment.

There could perhaps be some haptic feedback when something is copied to alert the user but unfortunately only the iPhone 7 and above will notice that.

This discussion has been closed.