touch id on mac is sometimes not available to unlock 1password

Options
2»

Comments

• rudy
    Options

@pbGuy,

Its missing because the system indicated to us that there wasn't any valid means of doing biometric unlock. If you do have fingerprints entered into System Preferences.app -> Touch ID then you'll want to delete the fingerprints and re-add them to get the Touch ID settings to show up in 1Password.

Rudy

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Even though Touch ID is active?

• rudy
    Options

@pbGuy,

Unfortunately, yes, even though the fingerprints are present it tell us that biometric unlock isn't possible.

Rudy

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

After deleting fingerprints & then, adding. MBP lid is open.

Locked with Open lid. Touch ID an option

Clicked Touch ID (Open lid)

Closed lid. No Touch ID option - Closed lid process is working (cursor inside MPW entry), but there's no visual Reminder (as there was previous to 10.13)

Opened lid again. Touch ID an option

Closed lid Security

Open lid Security after 1PW Quit & Reopen

Again for clarity, this issue began after upgrading to 10.13 ...Otherwise, 1PW is currently working Ok; and, this issue was not present with 10.12.6

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Here's snaps of 1PW Security, beginning with Open Lid (Touch ID was enabled) & After reopening from Closed Lid (Touch ID now unchecked)...

Upon entering MPW & clicking Continue, nothing occurs...

Ok, close 1PW Preferences (did not Quit 1PW); Open Lid (of MBP) and go back to Security Prefs & re-enter MPW

Touch ID setting re-enabled

My sense now, is that 10.13 changed the behavior of how 1PW is reacting to closing and opening of the MBP lid.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pbguy - I can't say for certain, because it certainly SHOULD be there if you have a) a Touch ID-capable Mac and b) you've successfully set up Touch ID on that Mac. How long has this been the case? Have you restarted your Mac recently?

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

@Lars, I was editing my last post when you uploaded yours. Please re-read my prior post as I added to it.

But to answer your questions: my MBP 15 is an early 2017 with Touch ID and it's enabled in my Sys Pref for TID.

As previously mentioned, the issue started with initial upgrade to 10.13 {my MBP has an SSD; so, converted to APFS, which had no issue}. Previously with 10.12.6, this 1PW visual-issue (TID note missing from below 1PW entry when TID is unavailable) was not occurring.

Last MBP restart was on 10/5; so, just after the 10.13 Supplement install that same day (no change to this 1PW behavior as result of the 10/5 update).

• rudy
    Options

@pbGuy,

My guess is that your mini log is probably full of log lines that say biometric unlock is unavailable during the time period where you have main and mini lacking the touch id option at all, best i can say is to send in a diagnostic report and we can comb over the logs and see if this is the case.

Rudy

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pbGuy: Have you tried disabling Touch ID completely, restarting, and then setting it up again in both macOS and 1Password? I've had similar issues where I'd get a "nothing happens" when enabling Unlock with Apple Watch, and this is essentially the same thing (wherein the Touch Bar stands in for the watch as an external iOS device being used). Let me know if that makes a difference.

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

I think I've confused the issue (Note appearing below the MPW entry "Touch ID is unavailable when the lid of your MacBook Pro is closed. Enter the Master Password to unlock 1Password") with all my snaps about Touch ID.

I'd add that while several of you all have attempted to offer suggestions, I think the suggestions are based upon my most recent post, instead of having fully read my sequential posts so all the posts, including the Thread I also referenced, piece together the larger picture having to do with the Note. I was providing all the snaps only so you all could see visible behaviors. Again let me emphasize I think my 1PW Touch ID is working as it should, except the visible Note.

There's no Note (along with Touch ID icon) below the MPW entry.

@brenty suggests disabling Touch ID completely, restarting, and setting up again. While I've not completed all those steps, sequentially as suggested, I have deleted fingerprints and set them up again (without restarting), and these steps didn't change anything. So in my mind, I don't see how doing @brenty's suggestion would change getting the reappearance of the Note.

However, I will add I use my Watch for unlocking my MBP, while the lid is closed. I did not use my Watch, for this purpose, when my macOS was 10.12.6 (& the Note was appearing).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @pbGuy -- did you get a chance to send in a diagnostics report, as @rudy suggested in his earlier reply to you? If not, here are the instructions to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/81462/touch-id-on-mac-is-sometimes-not-available-to-unlock-1password#latest
    • Your forum username: pbGuy

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number in the subject line.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much! For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for pbGuy only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    Options

I've now email the Diagnostics Report.

Support ID: #AXE-55282-173

Thank you for your assistance.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pbGuy - thanks, someone should be with you shortly.

ref: AXE-55282-173

• moontrx
    moontrx
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Some weeks later, I'm now on 10.13 and have 6.8.3 installed, but the issue is still the same as described by the initiator of this thread. Any news?

• pjollain
    pjollain
    Community Member
    Options

I am really disappointed that this issue, present since several weeks now, and that is a regression introduced by one of your updates, is still not corrected, even with the last update! Is it so difficult to correct?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I am really disappointed that this issue, present since several weeks now, and that is a regression introduced by one of your updates, is still not corrected, even with the last update!

@pjollain: No, it isn't.

Is it so difficult to correct?

As mentioned above, we believe we have found a solution to test in beta soon.

This discussion has been closed.