To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

is there a difference between 1password.com and 1password.eu?

sf105
sf105
Community Member

Just signed up to an account on .com, but wondering if I should have used .eu (where we're based)?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:is there a difference between 1password.com and 1password.eu?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

Hi @sf105 -- that's a question I can't answer for you. Data doesn't care where it lives, and your 1Password data is no different. If you'd prefer a .eu address, you can (and will need to) delete any current .com accounts you may have, and sign up again under the proper TLD. Make sure you cancel billing on the Billing tab of your account first! If you haven't added a credit card for billing (if you're still in the 30-day trial, in other words), then you can just allow your account to enter Frozen status, instead of going through with the whole deletion process. Let us know if you have any questions.

• sf105
    sf105
    Community Member

Understood. In some cases, data does care where it lives because of privacy laws, but in your case that's not relevant. Thanks

• You might care, but the data doesn't care. I think that is the distinction Lars was trying to make. It doesn't make a functional difference. :)

Ben

• To answer the original question :)

We recently soft-launched 1password.ca and 1password.eu data centres.

They are located in AWS regions in Montreal, Canada (.ca) and Frankfurt, Germany (.eu).

These data centres are completely independent from each other -- because of that there is no easy way to copy/migrate your data between them.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Didn't know about these alternatives. Considering the EU option (though not sure yet).

Is it possible to migrate / start over while keeping all the early adopter benefits?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@XIII: I don't believe so, but it's something we can look into. They really are whole new beasts. That said, either way, maybe we'll be able to offer some new promotions in the future. Cheers! :)

• sf105
    sf105
    Community Member

Interesting. Might consider porting. In the meantime, maybe use the browser location to suggest the most local data centre when signing up?

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

That's great news.
    I would also consider migrating, but only if I could keep my current benefits. Maybe the nice folks at AB can click some checkboxes in the background for that ;)
    Assuming you could just add another account with a .1password.eu sign-in address, migrating the data itself seems to be easy.

• Zero2Cool
    Zero2Cool
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

I have a family account with launch special price, i don't want delete my .com account and create a new .eu account with the higher price.

I need a migration tool.

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

@roustem when you say "soft launch", do you mean, that you launched it but don't actively tell anybody? Or is it not ready yet? For example I've seen that the geolocation of 1Password.eu (52.70.156.18) is displayed as being in Ashburn, Virginia.

• dbarchmann
    dbarchmann
    Community Member

Same problem as @Zero2Cool. Migration tool would be awesome.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

@dbarchmann -- @Manaburner is correct: for now, you'd need to use 1Password as your "migration tool," since as Roustem mentioned, these are completely separate data centers, so there's no "easy" way to accomplish it.

However, creating a new trial account at the .eu or .ca servers will allow you to add the account into a 1Password application in which you're also signed into your .com account, then move your data between accounts in the usual way, and delete your .com account after the move.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

To everyone else who's commented regarding early adopter benefits or other special features; we'll have to give some thought to whether transfers will retain those benefits.

• roustem
    edited October 2017

@Manaburner all data centres are in production mode, we are not announcing the launch until static sites and documentation are completed.

The 1password.eu is a static site and it is pointing to 1password.com at the moment. Check the location of start.1password.eu or my.1password.eu.

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

@roustem Got it. Thank you for clarifying.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Manaburner - on behalf of Roustem, who I know has a lot on his plate right now, you're welcome. :)

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

Hello to all of you!
    I understand, that it is not possible to transfer the data from one to another location.

• But maybe you can find an option to export and import all data (maybe also with the history)? I have more than 350 entries also with TOTPs inside and to start with an empty safe is really very frustrating.
    • Maybe you could find a solution to copy/switch the account (mail address and billing plan) only? It would be great not to lose the own account.

Best regards

• roustem
    edited October 2017

@Philipp

It is not that bad if you have an individual account or even if you have a small team/family and it does not have a few hundred vaults.

Simply create a new account, add it to 1Password app, and then move all items from one account to another. It is certainly work that we would like to make easier at some point.

Billing is another pain point. There is no simple way to move it from one account to another. If you contact our support, we will help to close the old account and move credit to the new account.

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member

Hello again,

Two more questions to this topic

• Will all your apps working with the new environment together? I use the iOS and Android apps also. Or is one of them working with the "old" system only?
    • Maybe do you plan a "how to do" support document also?
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Will all your apps working with the new environment together? I use the iOS and Android apps also. Or is one of them working with the "old" system only?

@Philipp: All the 1Password apps will work regardless of the regional server you're using.

Maybe do you plan a "how to do" support document also?

What do you mean?

• bnklov
    bnklov
    Community Member

I just saw the .ca and .eu option when installing 1Password X (really awesome by the way ;) ) and would also love to keep my early earl benefit when moving from .com to .eu

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bnklov: I don't know that it is possible — both 1Password.ca and 1Password.eu were launched long after Earl retired — but if you'll shoot us an email at support@1password.com we'll see if there's something we can do to help. :)

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member

@brenty I would like to move to Frankfurt.

• So how can I create a "European-Account"? Go to here? https://start.1password.eu/signup/account? Is that the way to be in Frankfurt?
    • Migration is clear how to do - to be done by add the 2nd account to 1Password Mac and then migrate
    • I have already an annual subscription and some credit balance - can I email your support to transfer the remaining values to the new account
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

So how can I create a "European-Account"? Go to here? https://start.1password.eu/signup/account? Is that the way to be in Frankfurt?

@telephoneman: Yep! :)

Migration is clear how to do - to be done by add the 2nd account to 1Password Mac and then migrate

You got it! Just move your data from the old account to the new one! :sunglasses:

I have already an annual subscription and some credit balance - can I email your support to transfer the remaining values to the new account

Shoot us an email at support@1password.com from your registered email address once you've migrated your data and we can help. Cheers! :chuffed:

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

@brenty do you also want me to subscribe also to personal annual bevor you do some magic? Or wait before subscribe to it? (Cause if you give me just some money it makes sense that the new subscription already considers this)

• Please wait until you’ve spoken with us by email to subscribe. :)

Ben

• sf105
    sf105
    Community Member

how do I unsubscribe from this topic?

• Hi @sf105,

Unfortunately it's not possible to unsubscribe to only 1 thread. You can change your general notification settings on the Notification Preferences page though.

Rick

• sf105
    sf105
    Community Member

rickfillion. Srsly? That's tedious.

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member

All done - you got email

This discussion has been closed.