Is it not possible to create categories, e.g., Insurance Cards, Deeds?

amluckau
amluckau
Community Member

It would be quite useful to be able to create add'l categories but I can't figure out how to do it. Also, is it not possible to move an item from one category to another?

1Password Version: 6.7
Extension Version: 4.6.5
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:category

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@amluckau: It isn't possible to make new categories, but it may be something we can add in a future version of 1Password. Thanks for letting us know you'd like us to create this feature! :)

• abisen99
    abisen99
    Community Member

I want to know when it will be released or it is already released. I cannot find the option to create category yet. Could you please help me.

Regards.

AS

• @abisen99,

It isn't released, we do appreciate you letting us know you'd like us to create this feature.

Rudy

• jimthing
    jimthing
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

Surely "Tags" would be a better way for categorisation if/when going forward?

At the moment you can use "Folders" which may/may not be good enough for you, but each item can only be in one Folder at a time unfortunately.

The only thing I can't see how to do currently, is have an overview to check which items are in which folders, and then move them as needed?
    ("View" menu > "Item List Layout: Top" doesn't have a column for this field, because {reasons?}.)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jimthing: I'm not sure I follow. 1Password already supports tags. Maybe you're referring only to "top layout", but that isn't the topic of this discussion. "Top layout" is a holdover from legacy versions of 1Password, and, as such, doesn't support newer features. Given the lack of user interest over many years we don't have any plans to do more with "top layout".

• jimthing
    jimthing
    Community Member

Eh?

I'm using the above stand-alone non-subscription version on Sierra, and the latest version on iOS.

1) Where are tags, as I can't see them?

2) "Top layout" is in this very version, so how can it be legacy? This view is simply a column view at the end of the day, and makes it much easier to see entries missing items, and make fixes. Abandoning it would be foolish.

3) How can users see what items are in which folder, without manually selecting each one to check?

• jimthing
    jimthing
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

@brenty
    I'll answer my own question then...
    For other users, re. (1): Tags field I notice are a field (I seemed to have missed it somehow). They will appear in the sidebar after one is entered on any entry.

As for (2)+(3): Neither "Tags" nor "Folders" are viewable on the Top Layout, what a nonsensical pain that is.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Eh? I'm using the above stand-alone non-subscription version on Sierra, and the latest version on iOS. 1) Where are tags, as I can't see them?

@jimthing: Here:

But you won't have any tags unless you've added them to items here:

2) "Top layout" is in this very version, so how can it be legacy?

"Top layout" was the only layout in 1Password version 2, circa 2007. When

This view is simply a column view at the end of the day, and makes it much easier to see entries missing items, and make fixes. Abandoning it would be foolish.

You may think so. That's the definition of subjective. The reality is that "top layout" hasn't been the default for over 5 years and most people don't use it, so we spend time on other things instead.

3) How can users see what items are in which folder, without manually selecting each one to check?

Folders are listed in the sidebar, like tags:

(surely a "quote" feature that notifies the user/staff member a reply has been received would help waiting an hour+ for response never coming).

What do you mean? This isn't a chat room. I think it's fair that we answer others who have been waiting longer first.

I'll answer my own question then...
    re. (1): Tags field I notice are a field (i seemed to have missed it somehow).

Yep.

As for (2)+(3): Neither "Tags" nor "Folders" are viewable on the Top Layout, what a nonsensical pain that is.

Neither were ever shown in "top layout", and I can't recall it ever coming up before. Again, "top layout" was the standard a decade ago, and hasn't been the default for years since. I disagree that this is as painful as you seem to think it is, but certainly if you have very rigid expectations of how 1Password should work I can see how that would be frustrating. If you have any requests we'll be happy to consider them. But given that we're not focused on "top layout" for some years now and others have asked us to work on other things, I don't want to give you false hope that this in particular will change. If you have specific requests or suggestions I'll be happy to share them with the rest of the team. But generalized complaints about things you feel are "foolish", a "pain", or otherwise unappealing to you for whatever reason just aren't actionable. :(

I did also want to address this though:

At the moment you can use "Folders" which may/may not be good enough for you, but each item can only be in one Folder at a time unfortunately.

By definition, that's what a folder does. It would be weird if you could put the same item in multiple folders. That breaks the mental model, which is the reason we ever had "folders" in the first place. But you're right that this is limiting, so we're focused on tags now, since those are much more flexible. It sounds like we're in agreement about that at least. ;)

• jimthing
    jimthing
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

@brenty

Thanks, although I previously answered the tags question myself. But sure, I understand if the views are now not important to 1P, just makes sorting data that little bit harder.

Anyway, you seem to miss the point here I think....
    How can users easily find entries without a Folder assigned to them, without looking at each entry one-by-one, and then moving it to the folder you want it to be in?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, although I previously answered the tags question myself. But sure, I understand if the views are now not important to 1P, just makes sorting data that little bit harder.

@jimthing: We're in complete agreement that we have work to do to make it easier to manage data in 1Password. So we're focused on the areas where we can to the most good for the greatest number of users. And for the aforementioned reasons, "top layout" is not one of them. :(

Anyway, you seem to miss the point here I think.... How can users easily find entries without a Folder assigned to them, without looking at each entry one-by-one, and then moving it to the folder you want it to be in?

I didn't realize that's what you were asking. Thanks for clarifying! If you click the "magnifying glass icon" next to the search box, you can do this:

That will show you all items without a folder assignment. I hope that helps! :)

• jimthing
    jimthing
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

@brenty

Oh, I see, so these functions are done by searching. Thanks.

Though a minor bug I think. After doing said blank folder search, once you select and item and drag it to a folder, the list depopulates, and you have to re-search again.

• jimthing
    jimthing
    Community Member

...though I realise we can save the search as a Smart Search, that then appears under Folders in sidebar, I suppose.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Oh, I see, so these functions are done by searching. Thanks.

@jimthing: You're totally welcome! :chuffed:

Though a minor bug I think. After doing said blank folder search, once you select and item and drag it to a folder, the list depopulates, and you have to re-search again.

Hmm. I'm not seeing that behaviour here. When I drag an item from the "no folder" search to a folder in the sidebar, only that item is removed from the search results. But I'll keep trying. Thank you for mentioning it!

...though I realise we can save the search as a Smart Search, that then appears under Folders in sidebar, I suppose.

That's a good idea, especially if this is something you want to reference frequently. I'd encourage you to try using tags instead since they're more versatile, but it's up to you. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.