Why does 1Password 6 Version 6.8.3 (683005) stop me from unmounting an external drive?

blackxacto
blackxacto
Community Member

Everytime I try to unmount an external backup drive, 1Password 6 Version 6.8.3 (683005) says 1P is using the external drive and I can't unmount it? I must FORCE EJECT the external backup drive. This is new as 1P has not acted this way until I upgraded to 6.8.3. I do not want the external backup drive to be mounted until I run backup software daily. How do I stop 1P Mini from grabbing this external drive?

1Password Version: 6.8.3
Extension Version: 4.6.11
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @blackxacto -- sorry to hear you're having trouble with this. I can't tell for certain, but it appears as if you may have had that external drive mounted when you upgraded the last time. Is the external drive a backup drive (Time Machine or other backup app)? For a while now, we've been putting warnings inside the 1Password updater which will alert users of additional copies of 1Password present on mounted drives, for exactly this reason. launchd will launch the first copy of 1Password mini it runs across, and this can cause problems if the first one it finds is NOT the one from your Applications folder.

For starters, unmount any external drives (I mean, disconnect the cable) and restart your Mac, so that on startup 1Password is forced to use the correct version of the Mini, since it's the only one available. Make sure you unmount any external drives the next time you upgrade 1Password for Mac as well. Let us know if you have any further problems with this, and good luck!

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

Lars, the external drive uses Carbon Copy Cloner to provide an exact bootable clone. It runs once a night. CCC immediately unmounts the drive. It's possible I did the 1P upgrade w the external drive mounted. I am going to run CCC for another complete backup, then restart. 1P will be the same on both then. If it doesn't work, I will try your suggestion, and report back. Thanks.

• rudy
    edited October 2017

@blackxacto,

More specifically it sounds like the OS (specifically launchd, the process responsible for launching processes) may have launched 1P mini from that volume while mounted. I would open Activity Monitor.app and confirm the path that 1Password mini claims to be coming from by double clicking on the row in the activity monitor process list and then on the Open Files and Ports tab in the process details. It'll be in the first couple lines.

Rudy

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

The new external backup included the new 1p, but your way may have been faster. I'll be sure to disconnect my externals before upgrading next time. Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

You're quite welcome, @blackxacto! Glad to hear you're back up and running. :)

This discussion has been closed.