questions: unlocking, attachments, and UI differences

Hello,

i use 1Password on Win 7 64bit with Chrome. When I try to log in on a website, sometimes appears the 1Passwort programs window and sometimes the plugins password windows. Why? It seems not to be consistent. If I unlock 1Password, the plugin is not unlocked and vice-versa. In my opinion the plugin should also be unlocked if I unlock the program. All this requires me to type my password much more often than on my Mac where the Chrome plugin works much better.

I can't open file attachements in a viewer. I need to safe them on hard disc which is a large security risk!

It would be nice if you could keep Mac and Windows versions more similar. They don't really need completely different user interfaces. But I'm patient :)

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2011
    Welcome to the forum, 1PMickey!

There's no way to launch the 1Password program from within Chrome, and the 1Password extensions for Chrome on Mac and Windows are virtually identical, so that's one place you should see almost no differences between the platforms (once you've pressed Command-\ or Ctrl+\).

As explained many times here in the forum, the 1Password program is locked separately from the 1Password extensions. (It's the same on your Mac.) Please use the Keep extensions unlocked option on the Browsers tab of 1Password preferences to fine-time the locking behavior, but keep in mind the important points made in Why is my 1Password data locked? in the FAQ section of the user's guide.

We've also discussed the attachments issue several times here in the forum. We believe it's a lot safer to let you decide where to download an attachment, so you'll know where it is and remember to decide whether it needs to be deleted, than to simply open the attachment and leave the copy lying around in a temp folder where someone could find it later.

As for the differences between platforms, please see Why doesn't 1Password for Windows look like 1Password 3 on my Mac? in the FAQ section of the user's guide, which covers what's been explained several times here in the forum, as well.

Mickey, I hope you won't mind my asking that you take a few minutes to read the Introduction, Getting Started, and Tutorials sections of the user's guide. They're short, and they'll give you the information you need to get up to speed quickly. As you use 1Password for Windows, we believe you'll find the FAQ section to be a useful resource, too.

I hope that helps!
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

...than on my Mac where the Chrome plugin works much better.

In Google Chrome, 1Password on Mac cannot "work better" than 1Password on Windows because both Mac and Windows are sharing the exact same (JavaScript-based) extension.

I can't open file attachements in a viewer. I need to safe them on hard disc which is a large security risk!

This has been discussed in this forum many times before. Take a look here, for example.
  • Thanks for the extensive reply. And sorry I did not read through all the topics.

DBrown wrote:

We've also discussed the attachments issue several times here in the forum. We believe it's a lot safer to let you decide where to download an attachment, so you'll know where it is and remember to decide whether it needs to be deleted, than to simply open the attachment and leave the copy lying around in a temp folder where someone could find it later.

Regarding this, I do not understand your decision. Most users do not even know that "deleted" files can be completely restored! Why you don't open the file from RAM and delete the RAM safely (=overwrite) after that? At least for small files this would not be a problem. Larger files could still be saved on disk. The same with a temp folder. 1Password could safely overwrite the files there. That would be easier for everybody. Unexperienced users would not mind and and professionals would not have to install an extra safe-deleting tool (Windows does not include one as far as i know).
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for those suggestions, Mickey!

I imagine the developers will take them into consideration, along with others, if they ever decide to re-evaluate the current behavior.
This discussion has been closed.