new user today 1. downloaded on mac and iphone 2. from desktop moved to dock but now have 2 icons

dlockman1
dlockman1
Community Member

one on desktop one in dock--looks like I need another key (secret key?) to get into account but when I follow instructions- says I have 2 copies so guess I need to remove 1 before I do anything else- can't seem to remove one of those copies

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:new user today 1. downloaded on mac and iphone 2. from desktop moved to dock but now have 2 icons 1

Comments

• dlockman1
    dlockman1
    Community Member

when I click on it says I have 2 copies but doesn't show them

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:I restarted computer and then trashed one icon now one on desktop but won't open-no secret key

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

Welcome to the forum, @dlockman1! I've merged your two threads, since they appeared to be talking about the same issue; I hope that's OK with you. I'm not quite sure what that issue is, however. Items in your Mac's Dock are really just aliases -- they're not actually applications themselves. You should only have one copy of 1Password on your Mac at any one time; anything more than that can cause macOS confusion about which copy of the 1Password mini to launch.

If you're a new user, you should put 1Password for Mac into your Applications folder on your hard drive, and run it from there. Delete any other copies of 1Password you may have inadvertently placed in other locations, such as your Downloads folder or even your Desktop. On your iPhone, the App Store will only allow you to download one copy, so there's no worries about multiples or duplicates there. If you have a 1password.com account, you'll need to sign into it within 1Password on both devices to get started.

Can you tell me a bit more about what the problem you're having is? You say:

when I click on it says I have 2 copies but doesn't show them

What specifically are you clicking on, and what do you have two copies of?

This discussion has been closed.