Where is 1Browser? [⌘5 or long-press on bottom of screen]

2»

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AskAli: Yeah totally. That's a tough one. I'd love to have that enabled by default, but it can also be confusing. Not sure what the answer is here. It's something we'll have to think about more. :)

• Good morning @skippingrock. Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain your position. 1Browser is a powerful piece of 1Password because it allows us to open and fill directly. I know it's also something that's become a good part of workflows like yours. The difficult position we find ourselves in (and have for quite some time) is that it's not a full featured browser. It works quite well for the use case I laid out above, and even for a decent number of cases beyond that, but it's easy to run up against its limitations fairly quickly. For this reason we are de-emphasizing it in the main 1Password user interface going forward. For customers like yourself that use 1Browser more extensively we're happy to provide a means to bring it up similar to how you did before (hence the long-press gesture), but it is highly unlikely that we're going to add a button for it.

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

Hello @MrRooni, regardless of its limitations which have been stated before, I will risk repeating myself as well.

Having it as a long-press, invisible, non-button button is just not good UX nor good accessibility.

I would be surprised if, through this implementation, that there are not complaints by those that don’t want to use 1Browser. By de-empathizing it in this way, it will actually get more attention, negative though.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hello @MrRooni, regardless of its limitations which have been stated before, I will risk repeating myself as well. Having it as a long-press, invisible, non-button button is just not good UX nor good accessibility.

@skippingrock: I agree and feel the same way on principle...but to be honest most people don't seem to care. That sounds bad, but what I mean is that most people are just tapping on URLs in logins, doing their thing there, and then they're done, rather than relying on 1Browser as, like, their main browser. When we introduced 1Browser it was the only viable option for filling logins. That was a long time ago, and now we have the 1Password iOS extension and some really great, privacy-focused, full-featured browsers available on iOS. I think that may be an opportunity to focus more on password management and less on trying to fill a gap that no longer exists. Time will tell.

I would be surprised if, through this implementation, that there are not complaints by those that don’t want to use 1Browser. By de-empathizing it in this way, it will actually get more attention, negative though.

I am doubtful, based on my experience, but you may be right. Nothing's written in stone, so it's something we'll continue to monitor, and make changes as needed. Thanks for bringing this up!

• AskAli
    AskAli
    Community Member

@brenty:

I agree and feel the same way on principle...but to be honest most people don't seem to care. That sounds bad, but what I mean is that most people are just tapping on URLs in logins, doing their thing there, and then they're done, rather than relying on 1Browser as, like, their main browser.

This is definitely true, for the average user, it's really not needed, it's just kind of there. I use my phone just as you said, I just click on the link and use the extension, by default my phone uses safari so I honestly don't care enough to use the 1PW browser, Safari already does what I need it to do and it works fine so why change? I'm sure you'll see the majority of users just use what's given to them and don't care to really change.

As you said I think it's trying to fill a gap that doesn't need to be, in all honesty I think time would be better devoted to password management features or other things rather than the browser but obviously I'm not what to tell you what to do.

I'm just trying to get across that I agree with you and for the average user it's really not something needed and it hardly sees any use on my phone, it's cool but it's just kind of there.
    But that's my use case.

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member

@AskAli I wonder if you have read any of the use cases why it is needed by others. If 1Browser isn’t needed by you, then fine, but that isn’t the topic of this thread.

• AskAli
    AskAli
    Community Member

@skippingrock I have been reading them, I'm just saying for the majority I don't think it's really used much, which is why I think it is probably being de-emphasized in the future update. But it's useful to some and critical even to some's daily workflow which I understand and that's great, more power to you. I don't think they should get rid of it all together or anything.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I wonder if you have read any of the use cases why it is needed by others. If 1Browser isn’t needed by you, then fine, but that isn’t the topic of this thread.

@skippingrock: This is the tough part. I agree with you completely that there are various use cases. Those are still possible now though. The main crux of the issue is that we need to focus our efforts on things that will help the most people. I'm glad that 1Browser is still there for both those that use it accidentally/incidentally and also us who use it more heavily. We've got some ideas for how we can make the better (more powerful and flexible) option — the 1Password iOS extension — more accessible and intuitive, as that will benefit those who use all the other, more capable browsers out there (as well as other apps). Cheers! :)

• s_t_smith
    s_t_smith
    Community Member

+1

Put it back.

I shouldn’t have to search a help forum to discover the hidden Command-4 and Command-5 feature. Can’t imagine a good reason why this was ever removed…

• Good morning @s_t_smith. Thank you for your feedback. At this time we have no plans to resurrect the dedicated button for 1Browser.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@s_t_smith: And in case it helps you or anyone else in the future, we do have a great knowledgebase article with a list of the keyboard shortcuts for each platform:

1Password keyboard shortcuts

Cheers! :)

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member

I still don’t know why my iPad can’t have this as a real button as there is the space for it and still annoying with I accidentally bring it up by tapping too long, I also don’t like having to explain this to my family over the phone how to do this. It doesn’t make sense to me and to them.

Sigh, just don’t remove it. Please…

• Thanks for the feedback, @skippingrock. We’d highly recommend using the Safari extension instead of 1Browser.

Ben

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member

Yes @Ben been down that discussion before… but as discussed earlier in this thread the Safari extension doesn’t always work with our workflows.

• Understood. :)

Ben

• Serq
    Serq
    Community Member

I’ve been putting up with not being able to re-open 1Browser and cursing you every time and, out of frustration, just managed to find this discussion... shame it wasn’t made more clear that you can now long press the tab bar :'( Having said that well done for adding it. I’m a very happy bunny now :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad that helped! Honestly most people seem to mainly use 1Browser by opening URLs in logins, not so much opening it just to open it. As the 1Password iOS extension has become such a staple since it can work in much more full-featured browsers on the platform, we think it makes sense to deemphasize 1Browser, but I do apologize for the confusion that caused you. Thanks for taking the time to let us know. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.