Adding 'New Account' for 1Password Account on Mac app

stuartbuchanan
stuartbuchanan
Community Member

Hi there. I've created a new 1Password account and would like to add it to my Mac app. However, under Preferences > Accounts, I'm prompted to "Sign in to your 1Password Account' but the plus button is greyed out; no option to add an account. This is a new install of the 1Password app.

1Password Version: 6.8.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

Hi @stuartbuchanan :)
    Is 1Password locked? If you had a vault before this, you need to unlock it with your Master Password before you can add a new account.

Cheers :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

Welcome to the forum, @stuartbuchanan! Aside from @Corey_C's on-point advice that 1Password must be unlocked to add accounts in Preferences > Accounts, I can't think of any reason why the plus button would be greyed out. If you've used 1Password in the past and are just adding an account now, unlock 1Password with your existing Master Password and you should be able to add your account details in the Preferences.

If that's not the case - either you've never used 1Password on your Mac before, or it already IS unlocked and the plus button is still greyed out, then please restart your Mac and see if the problem persists. If it does, we'll need to do some more-advanced troubleshooting. Let us know what you discover!

• stuartbuchanan
    stuartbuchanan
    Community Member

Thanks @Corey_C and @Lars - the unfortunate issue is that i have set up a new 1Password Account as I had lost my previous Master Password. So the new Account is working well on web and iOS but I can't use the Mac app as it requires the old (lost) password. Any suggestions?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Ahh, I see, @stuartbuchanan. In that case, you can just go ahead and reset 1Password. That will reset 1Password back to new and you will be able to log in to your new account.

Cheers :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@stuartbuchanan - @Corey_C is right that if you've lost your Master Password, you'll need to start again on your Mac. It's actually quite easy, but do note that your data in the previous vault will be unrecoverable if you do this. Once you start over, however, you can just sign into your account from the Welcome screen. Let us know if you need further assistance!

• stuartbuchanan
    stuartbuchanan
    Community Member

Great, thanks folks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad that helped! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.