edge extension unresponsive

I'm on a page that requires a login, I click on the 1Password thingy in Edge and nothing happens. Is there a restart? Under connected browsers I see RuntimeBroker by Microsoft Windows (disconnected), RuntimeBroker by Microsoft Windows (using out of date extension - update now) [with no hint as to how to do that!] and Chrome by Google, Inc. (disconnected).

How do I make it work again?

1Password Version: 6.7.457
Extension Version: 4.6.12.1
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:edge extension unresponsive

Comments

• @stevewoo: Updating is definitely a good first step, although this should happen automatically. To check for updates manually:

1. Select Start > Store
    2. Select your account profile picture next to the search box, then select Downloads and updates.
    3. On the Downloads and updates page, choose Check for updates.

Once you've updated the Edge extension, restart Edge (be sure to wait a few seconds before relaunching) and let us know if this gets things up and running for you again. :chuffed:

• stevewoo
    stevewoo
    Community Member

No change. The store thinks everything is up to date. My version of 1Password is 6.7.457. The store says the version is 6.8.461.0. Is the latter one (from the store) just the extension?

• Hi @stevewoo,

The store says the version is 6.8.461.0. Is the latter one (from the store) just the extension?

Yes, that is for the 1Password extension in the Windows Store and is the latest version.

Under connected browsers I see RuntimeBroker by Microsoft Windows (disconnected), RuntimeBroker by Microsoft Windows (using out of date extension - update now) [with no hint as to how to do that!]

You shouldn't have more than one per browser, my guess is that Edge relaunched quickly and 1Password extension in Edge didn't get the chance to reuse the previous authorization in 1Password's database.

Click on RuntimeBroker by Microsoft Windows (using out of date extension - update now) to remove it. In fact, do the same for the other one.

Now, try this:

1. Close all Edge windows
    2. Right-click on 1Password icon in the notification area to select Exit.
    3. Restart 1Password, unlock, and then open Edge, did it help?
  • stevewoo
    stevewoo
    Community Member

That does the trick. Thank you.

• You're welcome.

• richard_szalay
    richard_szalay
    Community Member

Is the root cause of this being looked into further? I'm seeing this so often that I don't bother using the Edge extension most of the time now.

• @richard_szalay: We are still looking into why this is occurring, but we've yet to be able to reproduce it ourselves, so it's been tough going. Have you tried the trick Mike mentioned above, by chance? It may well be that folks here are experiencing a different issue from you as well. If you haven't already, I'd give Mike's instructions a try and, if no luck, let us know. We can grab some more info from you and see if what you're experiencing is something we can work out. :chuffed:

• richard_szalay
    richard_szalay
    Community Member

@bundtkate: Mike's instructions work, but the issue will return within a day or two (at most, sometimes as little as an hour).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know. We've made some improvements already in the beta, and we'll continue to work to make 1Password better accommodate Edge's idiosyncrasies. Keep an eye out for updates! :)

• Hi @richard_szalay,

Can you email us your diagnostics report. Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• AcousTech
    AcousTech
    Community Member

Workaround is viable, but effectively makes Edge unusable in an environment where tens of tabs are open. Shutting it all down and restarting is just too intrusive. So, diagnostics sent, and linked to this post. I hope you find the issue soon!

• stevewoo
    stevewoo
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

I have several computers running Windows 10 with 1Password installed. The one that seemed to be causing the most problem was my Surface, so today, I went through a full reset with it and have been adding things back. After downloading the latest version of 1Password (6.7.457) I went ahead and downloaded the extension from the store. After doing some other stuff, I fired up Edge and tried to turn on the 1Password extension only to be informed that it was updating itself and I should try again later. It apparently updated itself out of existence! The whole 1Password/Edge puzzle seems to run well on my desktop computer. I have no clue what's going on with the Surface setup. Have you guys seen this before?

I've just downloaded the extension again from within Edge and for now, it is working.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@stevewoo: Thanks for letting us know. Glad to hear it's working well on your other machine, but if you run into trouble on the Surface again, a diagnostic report may shed some light on things:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#ELV-49278-769]

If you’re reading this and you are not stevewoo, this Support ID is for stevewoo only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: ELV-49278-769

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AcousTech: I hear you. Are you not able to save tabs in Edge? I thought I had just disabled it, but now I wonder if it has that feature.

I'm not seeing anything in the inbox matching the URL or your email. Could you post the Support ID you received from BitBot here?

• stevewoo
    stevewoo
    Community Member

Thanks. Report sent this morning.

• AcousTech
    AcousTech
    Community Member

@brenty: @MikeT said in an earlier part of the thread to send to support+windows@agilebits.com. So I did. That came back with: [#NQH-94424-446] I just resent to support@agilebits.com, including [#ELV-49278-769] in the subject. No response from BitBot.

As to your question re:tabs, yes Edge can do that. Under the 3 dots menu/Settings there is a choice called "Open Microsoft Edge with". I think it is possible to set that to "Previous pages". I say "think" because in our corporate environment, where this problem is happening, that setting is governed and cannot be modified. So that makes the workaround particularly irksome. Anyway, please let me know if you can't find the submission.

• stevewoo
    stevewoo
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

the unresponsive behavior continues - and escalates! After the 2nd install of the extension, it worked for a time, but was broken this morning. I closed 1Password and then restarted it and the extension worked fine. Now, the extension is gone from the list of extensions within Edge.

Now after reinstalling the extension (from within Edge), I get prompted for my vault password. Now I'm on a page requiring credentials that 1Password has, but even though it shows me that listing, it won't fill anything in!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AcousTech: I'm sorry that the workaround is necessary, and that it isn't possible for you to save your tabs to make things easier. I appreciate you clarifying about the Support IDs. I wasn't seeing anything under this address and that threw me off. You didn't get a response from BitBot because you took the Support ID I gave to stevewoo above...

ref: NQH-94424-446

@stevewoo: I'm sorry you're still having trouble with this too. Thanks for sending that.

ref: ELV-49278-769

I've got both of your emails here, so we'll review at the diagnostics and see if there's something we can do to make 1Password more tolerant of some of Edge's quirks. Thanks for your patience. :blush:

• Hey folks,

Just an update, the workaround I've mentioned is only if you see this in 1Password Browser settings: RuntimeBroker by Microsoft Windows (using out of date extension - update now)

It is not the workaround for other known issues. If you have a lot of tabs and you sleep or hibernate computer while Edge is not closed, 1Password won't work in Edge when you wake up because of how Windows work with UWP processes, they get suspended but can't quickly restart on their own.

We're trying to find a workaround but there is no quick workaround without restarting Edge and 1Password completely.

• stevewoo
    stevewoo
    Community Member

My extension seems to have stabilized itself. This is day two for it working fine on my Surface.

• That's great to hear, thanks for letting us know.

• bekrell
    bekrell
    Community Member

Well I have exactly the same issue on my Surface Pro 2017. It works for a day and well ... don't need to repeat. Everything exactly the same as mentioned by the original poster. I come from a Mac and never had an issue there with 1Password. We have the teams subscription and plan to move all staff over from Mac to Surface Pro devices. But 1Password is essential for us.
    Chrome is not our preferred choice on the Surface as it is not really touch optimized although it works there. Is there a date of when it will be fixed?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

@bekrell: Thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble as well, and you're right that Edge is much nicer on a Surface! Unfortunately I can't give you a date for anything, as there are a number of different issues at play here. Some are limitations of what is currently possible between Edge and Windows Store apps/extensions, but we're continuing to work to improve things where we can. You're welcome to join the beta to see the latest improvements first though. :)

• lhagan
    lhagan
    Community Member

I'm seeing the 1Password Edge extension survive multiple hibernate cycles and keep working over the past few days. It doesn't look like the extension (or 1Password itself) has been updated recently, so maybe a Windows update fixed this problem?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lhagan: Thank you for bringing this up! I have to say, I've experienced the same thing without really being aware of it (it much more obvious when something stops working!), and I don't have an way to account for that, so you may be right. I'm a little fuzzy on the timing, but I do recall installing a couple rollups within the past month (though that may have been two separate machines...) I'd be interested to know if others have had a similar experience. But then again, maybe no news is good news in this case. Cheers! :)

• lhagan
    lhagan
    Community Member

@brenty: I'm continuing to see the 1Password Edge extension survive hibernate cycles some of the time, but the rest of the time the 1Password desktop app (beta 6.8.488) crashes when the system resumes. I've been hitting the "send report" button, but figured I'd provide some context in case it helps...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lhagan: Thanks for the update! While I'm glad to hear that it's working better for you than it was in the past, we'll keep working on ways we can improve it ourselves, in addition to the benefits of new releases from Microsoft. Cheers! :)

• sccm_expert
    sccm_expert
    Community Member

I have to say that in its current form, 1Password for Edge is not usable. I have uninstalled the Edge extension, reinstalled the extension and verified that there is only 1 instance of 1Password being paired to Edge, When I click on the 1Password icon it brings up the site that I am on. I click it but it doesn't insert anything into the fields. When I click it again, nothing happens. It doesn't show me any info for any sites. I would like to send you a diagnostic report but it will not allow me to attach it here, even if I zip it up.

This discussion has been closed.