Rich Icons: how do users ask AgileBits for new ones?

jimthing
jimthing
Community Member
edited October 2017 in Mac

1) As subject title, some of my items are missing icons, and rather than create my own Custom Icons, they're big enough companies that they should surely have Rich Icons, IMO. But how on earth do we suggest these to AgileBits to get them created?

Related questions:

2) Are there any criteria for Rich Icons to be created by you (e.g. you only do them for big organisations, or several users have to suggest the same organisation, etc.)?

3) If we want to create our own Custom Icons instead, what is the best format to do them as – i.e. if PNG is best, but JPG, PDF, whatever else are allowed, then please advise?– (and which are definitely NOT allowed?) so they sync across all 1Password devices (e.g. Can we use .ico's for example, or are they not allowed: the app should not allow non-universal formats to be used)?

(IDEA: It'd be good if the Custom Icon formats allowed (and size requirements, for that matter!) were shown when double clicking the icon window in edit mode – see red text in example below):

4) Can users add Custom Icons to items using iOS and Android, or only whilst using macOS and Windows?

Comments

• Thelauffer
    Thelauffer
    Community Member

Hey there,

I believe this was a topic previously. You might want to check this out: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/75862/rich-icon-submissions

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ultimately Rich Icons depend on three things:

1. A high quality icon being available for the site (not always the case)
    2. Us adding it to our database (we prioritize this for top sites, not every random one out there)
    3. You having a matching URL in the saved Login item

If there are some you'd like you contribute, we'll be happy to take a look. Cheers! :)

• jimthing
    jimthing
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

Ultimately Rich Icons depend on three things:

A high quality icon being available for the site (not always the case)
    Us adding it to our database (we prioritize this for top sites, not every random one out there)
    You having a matching URL in the saved Login item
    If there are some you'd like you contribute, we'll be happy to take a look. Cheers! :)

OK. But what about Q.4 above? And another one that seems obvious to ask:

5) How do users know a Rich Icon already exists for a site? (are any self-created Custom Icons replaced automatically)?

I'll also made some new suggestions on the thread Thelauffer gave, to keep them all on the same page:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/75862/rich-icon-submissions

• jimthing
    jimthing
    Community Member

Sorry to bombard you with questions, but there are some other mysterious things about these:

6) How do users tell if an icon is actually a "Rich Icon" vs. "plain Favicon" vs. "Custom Icon"?
    It'd be useful if the Rich Icons had a "Rich Icon" or "RI" tag underneath them, so users could easily and quickly tell. Currently, we have no obvious idea, and it's guesswork just by looking at whether they look good or not?!

7) How do these update? Can we update them?
    e.g. I have some crappy icon for https://www.shazam.com currently, yet when I edit and try and delete it, it doesn't save the deletion (the crap icon reappears immediately after saving), nor does it replace it with the better current website Favicon or a Rich Icon of some sort??

These whole Rich Icons are a complete mystery, and TBH, AgileBits are not at all clear on how these are supposed to work. The knowledge base has next to nothing about how users are supposed to identify/use/replace/update/etc. these things. Sort it out, please.

• jimthing
    jimthing
    Community Member

Your KB search engine is not very specific either, unfortunately. It only gave irrelevant results that do not answer my above questions:
    https://support.1password.com/search/?q=rich+icons
    https://support.1password.com/search/?q=icons

??

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sorry to bombard you with questions, but there are some other mysterious things about these: 6) How do users tell if an icon is actually a "Rich Icon" vs. "plain Favicon" vs. "Custom Icon"?

@jimthing: If you added it yourself, it's a custom icon.

It'd be useful if the Rich Icons had a "Rich Icon" or "RI" tag underneath them, so users could easily and quickly tell. Currently, we have no obvious idea, and it's guesswork just by looking at whether they look good or not?!

I guess I don't see why it matters. When people like the icon, they're not concerned about whether they had to add it themselves or it showed up automatically because 1Password already had it. Can you elaborate on what you're trying to do here?

7) How do these update? Can we update them?
    e.g. I have some crappy icon for https://www.shazam.com currently, yet when I edit and try and delete it, it doesn't save the deletion (the crap icon reappears immediately after saving), nor does it replace it with the better current website Favicon or a Rich Icon of some sort??

While I agree that there's room for improvement, I'm not sure I see the benefit of getting so upset. With that site specifically, it appears to be an old low quality icon. We'll look into finding a good icon to use to update it on our end, but you're also welcome to set your own in the mean time.

ref: AGW-389

These whole Rich Icons are a complete mystery, and TBH, AgileBits are not at all clear on how these are supposed to work. The knowledge base has next to nothing about how users are supposed to identify/use/replace/update/etc. these things. Sort it out, please.

That's because it rarely comes up. You may be curious, but most people don't care how this works. If you add an icon yourself, you get exactly what you want. And while if you get a nice icon "for free", that's even better in most case, you can still change it if you want. Rich Icons is also an optional feature. People can use or not use it (and custom icons) as they choose. It's not mandatory. So the information we have in our knowledgebase is geared toward answering the questions we normally get, about the privacy implications of using icons downloaded from the server.

• jimthing
    jimthing
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

@brenty

While I agree that there's room for improvement, I'm not sure I see the benefit of getting so upset.
    With that site specifically, it appears to be an old low quality icon. We'll look into finding a good icon to use to update it on our end, but you're also welcome to set your own in the mean time.

Where did I say I was upset? I merely asked a question, dunno where you got that idea from.

That's because it rarely comes up. You may be curious, but most people don't care how this works. If you add an icon yourself, you get exactly what you want. And while if you get a nice icon "for free", that's even better in most case, you can still change it if you want. Rich Icons is also an optional feature. People can use or not use it (and custom icons) as they choose. It's not mandatory. So the information we have in our knowledgebase is geared toward answering the questions we normally get, about the privacy implications of using icons downloaded from the server.

Sorry, to say this "rarely comes up" is not a proper answer is it – nuclear war rarely comes up in people's daily thoughts, but surprisingly people are still very curious about it {joke}. If users cannot find the answer, they are usually simply too busy and give up, never mind asking in the forums, so just because I have bothered, for you to then turn around and say "no one else is interested" offhandedly is not very professional.

You're missing the point...

1) Most of us DO NOT want to have to create icons, hence wanting to know how Rich Icons work and are controlled from OUR point of view, when we are using the apps.

2) 1P doesn't make it clear on which is which, so that weeks/months later users have absolutely no idea on which ones in their hundreds of entries are the Rich Icons that 1P created for them, vs. Custom Icons that the user may have created themselves. And thus we cannot know which we need to advise 1P to create/update accordingly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Where did I say I was upset? I merely asked a question, dunno where you got that idea from.

@jimthing: This:

I have some crappy icon for https://www.shazam.com currently, yet when I edit and try and delete it, it doesn't save the deletion (the crap icon reappears immediately after saving), nor does it replace it with the better current website Favicon or a Rich Icon of some sort??

Anyway, I'm sorry if I misunderstood all the "crap" and "??"

Sorry, to say this "rarely comes up" is not a proper answer is –

This may not be the answer you were hoping for, but you are not the arbiter of what is a "proper" answer or not. :unamused:

nuclear war rarely comes up in people's daily thoughts, but surprisingly people are still very curious about it {joke}.

I think you know that's a bit different from the topic at hand. ;)

If users cannot find the answer, they are usually simply too busy and give up, never mind asking in the forums,

I agree.

so just because I have bothered, for you to then turn around and say "no one else is interested" offhandedly is not very professional.

I disagree. Lying to you would be unprofessional. I'm simply stating the fact here, not offhandedly, that over the course of many years we haven't heard from many — if any — others who want to same thing. Maybe you'd prefer that I not be honest and straightforward, and I'm sorry for not sugarcoating things, but please understand that's not everyone's preference. And really that's all we have to go on with regard to the knowledgebase: it contains information based on the things people have asked us about. We put it there so it's easier to find. More on that below.

You're missing the point...
    1) Most of us DO NOT want to have to create icons, hence wanting to know how Rich Icons work and are controlled from OUR point of view, when we are using the apps.

Based on experience, I can readily agree with the first part, but not the second: The same folks who don't want to have to create custom icons also don't want to look up information about how things work. They just want to get stuff done. I think that just highlights that we need to continue to make 1Password more intuitive, not that we need to document everything in minute detail.

2) 1P doesn't make it clear on which is which, so that weeks/months later users have absolutely no idea on which ones in their hundreds of entries are the Rich Icons that 1P created for them, vs. Custom Icons that the user may have created themselves. And thus we cannot know which we need to advise 1P to create/update accordingly.

You're totally right. It doesn't come up often, so our focus is decidedly not on icons at this time, but it's definitely on our list to occasionally revise the database — and certainly when we do we can try to add/improve some for sites as you and others request. I've already filed an issue for Shazam, and if you URLs for other sites and their icons I'll gladly do the same for those as well.

• jimthing
    jimthing
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

@brenty

I've already filed an issue for Shazam, and if you URLs for other sites and their icons I'll gladly do the same for those as well.

I added a list of regularly used UK ones, here:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/396779/#Comment_396779

Some further simple documentation would be helpful, as from my searching these forums, plenty of questions have been asked.
    Popular ones include: How do we tell which items in our database are Custom from Rich icons (weeks/months later)?, How can we submit suggestions for Rich icons?, How do I know if a domain has a Rich Icon or not?; How do these appear in our entries?; How can I replace my Custom Icon with a Rich Icon (weeks/months after originally adding them)?; et al.

Someone even asked (lost the forum link now, unfortunately) why users cannot even supply 1P with Rich Icons that fit a certain (high) standard, to save you time creating them yourselves. Surely, more would get done, across more obscure sites, and quicker.

The problem is, things that might appear obvious and transparent to staff members, often seems obscure and difficult to understand to customers. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The problem is, things that might appear obvious and transparent to staff members, often seems obscure and difficult to understand to customers. :)

@jimthing: Agreed 100%! Thanks for your feedback on all of this! We do need to focus on improving both the documentation and apps based on the biggest areas of confusion, inquiry, and — frankly — pain, but as we get some "frequently asked questions" regarding icons we may add more documentation. :)

Someone even asked (lost the forum link now, unfortunately) why users cannot even supply 1P with Rich Icons that fit a certain (high) standard, to save you time creating them yourselves. Surely, more would get done, across more obscure sites, and quicker.

We're not going to prioritize obscure sites, but certainly anyone can request that we add a website to the database, and the URL for both the main page and one for a high quality icon will make it much more likely that it will get added. Cheers! :sunglasses:

This discussion has been closed.