Will ALL my passwords from v. 3.9.21.90 be imported into the latest version if ever I upgrade?

My 1Password is version 3.9.21.90 which is a Google Chrome extension. I have A LOT of websites and passwords saved in there, and I'm worried that not all of them will be imported if and when I upgrade to the latest version and sign up for annual billing. Am I guaranteed that ALL will be saved if in case I am asked to uninstall the old version?

1Password Version: 3.9.21.90
Extension Version: 3.9.21.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: unknown
Referrer: forum-search:Will ALL my passwords from v. 3.9.21.90 be imported into the latest version if ever I upgrade?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@antonality: Before I answer your question, I do have to say that we can't guarantee that your data isn't corrupt. Consumer filesystems, sadly, even in 2017, do not support checksums. However, if you've been using it all this while and haven't run into any issues, that's encouraging. I just always get nervous about old data, as it's bitten me before. Always have a backup! Anyway, this is the real question:

Will ALL my passwords from v. 3.9.21.90 be imported into the latest version if ever I upgrade?

Yep! 1Password 6 supports the same AgileKeychain vault format you've been using in 1Password 3, so you can literally open it right up in the new app. There's a newer vault format that's easy (like, you won't even believe it) to convert to, but that's only recommended and not mandatory.
    I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• antonality
    antonality
    Community Member

How do I make a backup of my passwords data with version 3?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@antonality: 1Password automatically saves backups locally, but there are two things you should do to make sure you have a backup in case something happens to your computer:

1. In 1Password Preferences > General you can find the location of your AgileKeychain vault. Make a backup copy of that and keep it somewhere safe, especially if you're not already backing up offsite (e.g. using a cloud backup service).
    2. Use File > Backup Data File to create a new backup archive and, similarly, store this in a safe location (e.g. put it on a USB drive and give it to a relative). You never know when you might need it.

Cheers! :)

• antonality
    antonality
    Community Member

My 1Password v. 3.9.21.90 is a Chrome extension. I can't find the "Preferences > General" path.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@antonality: Aha. I'm sorry. I should have picked up on that but it's a while since I've looked at version numbers for the old app and extension. I took it for granted that you were referring to the 1Password app since you mentioned that in your original post:

1Password Version: 3.9.21.90
    Extension Version: 3.9.21.90

Do you not have the 1Password app installed at all? If so, that will be a problem, as the extension will not be able to save your data there. Whatever you do, DO NOT remove the extension. If you've been using the extension by itself for a long time, it may not be possible to easily migrate your data. But please follow the steps in this guide to see if you can:

How to uninstall the 1Password 3 extension

Again, do NOT remove the extension unless you have your data stored in the 1Password app. Do NOT skip any steps in that guide, and let me know if you get stuck on a particular step.

• antonality
    antonality
    Community Member

Oh yes, sorry, my bad. I only have the extension, not the app. I thought they were one and the same thing.

I shall follow the instructions you gave and get back to you if I have any problems.

• antonality
    antonality
    Community Member

Some steps cannot be carried out, like opening the main app. The bad news is that I had been using the 1 Password Chrome extension v. 3 for many years now without the main app. So now, how can I save all my password data to the new version (v. 6) of the app then?

I haven't installed the new version yet, as I have to make sure that I can still access all my data on it if I do.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

Oh yes, sorry, my bad. I only have the extension, not the app. I thought they were one and the same thing. I shall follow the instructions you gave and get back to you if I have any problems.

@antonality: Thanks for getting back to me! No need to apologize. Just glad we're on the same page now! :)

Some steps cannot be carried out, like opening the main app. The bad news is that I had been using the 1 Password Chrome extension v. 3 for many years now without the main app. So now, how can I save all my password data to the new version (v. 6) of the app then? I haven't installed the new version yet, as I have to make sure that I can still access all my data on it if I do.

Definitely don't do anything with the new version yet. I can't guarantee it will work, but there are some things we can try to get your data out of the extension. Are you able to access everything there at least? If so, I'd like you to generate a diagnostic report:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com
    Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: ULJ-56258-532

• antonality
    antonality
    Community Member

Yes, don't worry, I am antonality.

At this point, I am able to access all my data out of the extension. That's why I didn't think there was an app, or even if I knew, a need for it.

I've just sent support the diagnostics email as you instructed.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @antonality,

Your email with the diagnostic arrived okay - thanks for sending that in. We'll have a look and get back to you again as soon as we can.

Have a great week! :)

• antonality
    antonality
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

This diagnostic file won't be showing you my passwords, will they?

'Cause if it does, it'll be too late for me to take it back! :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

This diagnostic file won't be showing you my passwords, will they?

Good question, @antonality. Diagnostics reports never reveal passwords to us. They never have and never will.

Diagnostics reports and privacy says:

1Password respects your privacy, so the only information we have to diagnose problems is information you send us. We never use the information in diagnostics reports for anything other than diagnosing issues you're having. Learn more about 1Password and your privacy.

I hope that's helpful.

'Cause if it does, it'll be too late for me to take it back! :)

Not too late for you to ask about it. :+1::chuffed:

• antonality
    antonality
    Community Member

Thank you. It's just a concern most of us will be having. It's just good to be reassured.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Absolutely! Frankly, it freaks me out when folks do on occasion send us something they shouldn't, or post it here in the forums! :scream:

Anyway, I'm also sorry for any confusion I caused with my earlier message about "If you’re reading this and you are not antonality, this Support ID is for antonality only". That wasn't directed at you, but anyone else who might read this discussion. :blush:

Since I've got your email here now I've gone back and removed that. I'll be in touch with you via email after going over the diagnostics and we can go from there. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.