Must we use the browser extension (and other random questions)

Timo
Timo
Community Member

So, I'm almost ready to make the full switch to 1Password (accounts/subscription model). I initially envision setting things up on a Mac running ElCapitan and then using 1PW on ElCap, Sierra (High Sierra eventually) and Android (iPhone eventually) and maybe Windows down the road.

My only lingering questions at this point, which I am too lazy to research this Sunday afternoon, are:

1. Can I set-up and use 1PW without any browser extensions on the desktop macOS at least initially? I'll get my info directly from the application.
  2. 1PW accounts/subscription does not depend on iCloud right? I really don't want to enable iCloud drive...
  3. Could you link me to the article (the non-technical one) that describes the current 1PW data format, please? In the past I recall there was an issue of not all data fields being encrypted, so I'd like to see where things stand with that.

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Timo: Thanks for reaching out. Happy to answer your questions! :)

Can I set-up and use 1PW without any browser extensions on the desktop macOS at least initially? I'll get my info directly from the application.

Yep! Generally we recommend saving Logins using the browser extension, since that allows 1Password to learn some information about the webpage to help it fill, but in many cases it doesn't matter.

1PW accounts/subscription does not depend on iCloud right? I really don't want to enable iCloud drive...

Correct. While iCloud Drive needs to be enabled to sync 1Password data using iCloud, 1Password.com handles all of this itself — you just sign into your 1Password account to access your data.

Could you link me to the article (the non-technical one) that describes the current 1PW data format, please? In the past I recall there was an issue of not all data fields being encrypted, so I'd like to see where things stand with that.

Well...data formats are, inherently, technical...so we don't really have "non-technical" information about these. What you're thinking of is that the original AgileKeychain format had "overview" data in plaintext (title, URL) for search efficiency — otherwise it would have been excucitaingly slow on older computers and certainly mobile devices:

Agile Keychain design

With OPVault we moved to separate encrypted "overview" since hardware is fast enough (and, often, accelerated) for this now. So having the "overview" decrypted for a search is fast enough, decrypting the rest of an item only when it is needed:

OPVault design

But none of this has any bearing on 1Password.com, since these are external sync containers and there's no need for that with 1Password.com. To be clear, all of the data is encrypted (p.17), but we're just dealing with database entries instead of a portable file format:

1Password.com White Paper

Sorry I don't have exactly what you were hoping for, but be sure to let us know if you have any other questions. :)

• Timo
    Timo
    Community Member

While iCloud Drive needs to be enabled to sync 1Password data using iCloud, 1Password.com handles all of this itself — you just sign into your 1Password account to access your data.

combined with

But none of this has any bearing on 1Password.com, since these are external sync containers and there's no need for that with 1Password.com.

Now I'm a little confused. BTW, I have not actually installed yet...
    When interacting with our data through the 1Password desktop app are we connecting to 1password.com?
    What if we are offline?
    There must be a local (fully encrypted I hope) copy for the app, right?

• @Timo: You're only required to connect to 1Password.com to sync. Your data is also maintained in a (yes, encrypted) local cache. If you're offline and unlock the app, you'll be able to view and interact with your data and even make changes, if you like. Those changes will be saved locally for later upload to 1Password.com when you're back online so they can make their way to other devices.

This discussion has been closed.