Subscription--one installation not synchronizing well?

adam1991
adam1991
Community Member

Version 6.8.3 (683005), subscription account, on two Macs. Desktop is always on, 1P is always unlocked. Laptop, 1P locks itself when lid is closed and after an hour.

I set up a new login on the laptop on Saturday, and this morning noticed that it hadn't found its way to the desktop. Item counts indicated that indeed the desktop was short 1 item. I checked my account via the web; the new login is in my cloud account. So the desktop installation hasn't synchronized since Saturday?

I couldn't find a "force sync now" function anywhere, but fortunately a simple quit and relaunch of the program immediately picked up the new login item.

Should I simply quit and relaunch 1P occasionally? Or would setting some automatic locking behavior "force" such a re-synchronization?

1Password Version: 6.8.3 (683005)
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Subscription

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @adam1991 -- a change (or addition/deletion) of 1password.com data on one device should be pushed out to other devices running 1Password and signed into the same account, relatively quickly. The fact that it did not in your case tells me that your "always on" desktop Mac either failed to connect to the notifier (for push notifications) or somehow lost connection to it overnight. If you have VPN software or other proxies running automatically or used manually by you during that time period, that may be what broke the connection.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@adam1991 -- if you run a diagnostics report on your Mac, you'll see a line that looks like this:

Tue Oct 24 12:33:10 2017| 683005 [SYNC:(Main Thread):] S webSocket:didReceiveMessage: | Received message from notifier for User Account 1 - Session Id:XNR7V2VGARAVRLC2DTAENR33HY

Instructions for running a diagnostics report on your Mac are here:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

When the report finishes, you'll see a blue zip file icon, which can be dragged out to your desktop and double-clicked to open. You'll get a folder, which you can open. Inside the folder, look for the 1Password4.html file and launch that. It will open in your browser. In the black bar along the top, click "Logs" at the far right, then choose "Mini Log" for either our version of 1Password or the Mac App Store version, depending on which you have installed. You'll need to search for around the time you created the new item on the other device; it shouldn't be more than a few seconds later.

Are you running anti-virus or firewall software, perhaps?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@adam1991 -- the other thing you can do is to create a new Secure Note (or any other item) as a test on your laptop, with 1Password open and unlocked on your desktop. Before you do create the new item, make sure you're in the correct vault on your desktop as the one you're going to be creating the new item in on your laptop, and then choose the correct category (Secure Notes, or whatever). Use the sorting menu at the top of the column of items to choose "Sort by Creation date," then head over to the laptop and create the Secure Note. Give it a memorable title that you'll notice immediately, something like "Created on Laptop" -- and see if it pops up on the desktop. If it does, the notifier is working properly. If not, let us know.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@adam1991 -- that's not quite the same thing. A sync is just that - a full sync. But as you can see in my example above, a push notification should be received and acted upon in the event of something changing on a different device. It won't mention a full sync, necessarily, but it must include this: Received message from notifier for User Account...

One question: do you have the 1Password app open and unlocked the entire time? And do you have 1Password mini set to be always running in Preferences > General?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@adam1991 -- please give the test I mentioned earlier a try - create a Secure Note and see if/how fast it appears on your desktop Mac. Let us know what you discover!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@adam1991 - Sounds like the best path forward. I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/397336#Comment_397336
    • Your forum username: adam1991

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number in the titlePlease post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @adam1991! We'll take a look and get back to you as quickly as possible.

ref: XBT-31573-435

This discussion has been closed.