Application Go & Fill

I just took the latest 1PW update (Version 3.7.0 (build 31083) ) for Safari 5.1 for a spin and am very impressed with the progress that AgileBits has made...well done! Everything works as well or even better than with Safari 5.0 except for one thing. Previously you could open the 1PW application, under Logins scroll to a website, click on the URL, be taken to the website and automatically logged in. Although clicking on the URL takes you to the website, only the Username is entered, not the password. So you have to click on the 1PW toolbar button to complete the login.

219xi86.png

Will that feature be updated to work as it used to? I certainly hope that is the case.

Thanks again for all of your efforts for this Mac Gem of a program and keep up the good work!

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thank you for the kind words!

And apologies for the trouble here.

Right now, external Go & Fill (e.g. double-clicking an item in the main 1Password application) is not yet supported in Safari 5.1 on Snow Leopard. It works properly in Lion, but in Snow Leopard the site will only open. Your username and password will not be filled in.

We are working to resolve this.

In the meantime, please consider that you can use 1Password entirely from within the browser to fill Logins. Simply visit the Login page for the site whee you wish to log in and then press Command-\ on your keyboard or select the Login from the 1P toolbar button in Safari.

You can also Go & Fill a site from within the browser. Simply press Option-Command-\ and then select the site from the list or click the 1P toolbar button and then the "All Logins" tab.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Cheers,
  • richsadams
    richsadams
    Community Member
    edited August 2011
    khad wrote:

Thank you for the kind words!

And apologies for the trouble here.

Right now, external Go & Fill (e.g. double-clicking an item in the main 1Password application) is not yet supported in Safari 5.1 on Snow Leopard. It works properly in Lion, but in Snow Leopard the site will only open. Your username and password will not be filled in.

We are working to resolve this.

In the meantime, please consider that you can use 1Password entirely from within the browser to fill Logins. Simply visit the Login page for the site whee you wish to log in and then press Command-\ on your keyboard or select the Login from the 1P toolbar button in Safari.

You can also Go & Fill a site from within the browser. Simply press Option-Command-\ and then select the site from the list or click the 1P toolbar button and then the "All Logins" tab.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Cheers,

Thanks so much for the timely reply! I knew you weren't going to let us down. ;) I also just learned about the "power user" key shortcut (Control-\) after discussing 1PW on another forum. I love it already! I even got my wife to start using it and she does NOT like keyboard shortcuts. :)

You mentioned that "external go and fill" doesn't work in SL but does in Lion. To be clear, it's the ability to click on the URL in the 1PW application (as indicated by the red arrow in the graphic in my original post) that used to immediately take you to the website and auto-login. Clicking on that now does take you to the website but as you say doesn't enter the username or password. I've tried it in both SL and Lion with the same result.

Keep up the great work and we'll look forward to the additional features being available soon.
  • "Right now, external Go & Fill (e.g. double-clicking an item in the main 1Password application) is not yet supported in Safari 5.1 on Snow Leopard. It works properly in Lion, but in Snow Leopard the site will only open. Your username and password will not be filled in."

NO, it does NOT work properly in Lion either. Yes, app and extension are up-to-date.

I just tried Go & Fill using an existing, saved login.

It did not work.

Instead, I manually navigated to the URL, entered my credentials and let the app save a new login.

Even when the app saved it - it still does not work.

Here is the URL:
    https://www.hrsaccount.com/hrs/ecare?cmd_Redirect=Home&acctOrg=169&logoCode=000

Sincerely, I apologize, but I'm getting extremely frustrated with having to re-save, re-create, re-test....every..single...login.
    I've provided other URL's in another thread days ago and they still don't work. I provided the same URL's in an email to customer support before email support was disabled. They don't work.
    So please...do not state that Go & Fill works from the app in Lion. It doesn't.
  • richsadams
    richsadams
    Community Member
    edited August 2011
    Hi Stu and thanks for the follow-up. I'm running 1PW Version 3.7.1.BETA-2 (build 31087) and Safari Version 5.1 (7534.48.3) and Lion OS X 10.7 on both my Macbook Air as well as my iMac. I just tried this again on both computers and had the same result.

What we used to be able to do was open 1PW, find a website login page and click on the small white circle with the little blue arrow in it next to the URL (see graphic in the first post). Doing so would take you to the website, the username and password were automatically filled in and you'd be logged in...all in one step. Right now that doesn't work (at least on my computers) as it used to. The same action only takes you to the webpage. I tried it with Evernote, same result, no login, just opened the web page.

Does that make sense or am I confusing things? Hope not, but if so, let me know what I'm missing and thanks so much for your and everyone's help...I feel like we're almost there!
  • HI guys,

Just a bit of clarification, Go & Fill does not submit at this moment. That’s a known bug at the moment with the current version of the 1Password extension. We’re working on fixing that as soon as possible. RIght now, on Lion, it should should open the web site and the details should be filled in.

I’m not sure why it is not filling in the details. All of you see the 1Password button on the Safari toolbar, correct? Was the 1Password extension unlocked before you try in the main 1Password app?

@Betzler, I’m sorry that you’re frustrated about this process. For many of our users, the external Go & Fill does work for the first half, go and fill but not the auto-submit process. So, I’m not sure what’s going on here yet. Are you using 1Password (beta) 3.7b8 in Safari 5.1? Can you confirm that for me via Safari > Preferences > Extensions.

@richsadams, can you also confirm the extension version you’re running in Safari?
  • richsadams
    richsadams
    Community Member
    edited August 2011
    MikeT wrote:

HI guys,

Just a bit of clarification, Go & Fill does not submit at this moment. That’s a known bug at the moment with the current version of the 1Password extension. We’re working on fixing that as soon as possible. RIght now, on Lion, it should should open the web site and the details should be filled in.

I’m not sure why it is not filling in the details. All of you see the 1Password button on the Safari toolbar, correct? Was the 1Password extension unlocked before you try in the main 1Password app?

Ah, I did not unlock the 1PW Safari extension prior to trying Go and Fill. Now that I've done that the page opens, the username and password are filled in, but it does not auto-login. So it appears that that is the only missing step in that respect, however that still means that an additional step (unlocking the 1PW Safari extension) would be required where that wasn't the case before.

I guess if the same Go and Fill ability were built into the extension it would be about the same thing...I don't necessarily need to open the full 1PW application. I see that it does work the same way, but also does not auto-submit.

MikeT wrote:
    @richsadams, can you also confirm the extension version you’re running in Safari?

1PW (beta) 3.7.b8

Thanks again for your help!
  • MikeT
    edited August 2011
    richsadams wrote:

Ah, I did not unlock the 1PW Safari extension prior to trying Go and Fill. Now that I've done that the page opens, the username and password are filled in, but it does not auto-login. So it appears that that is the only missing step in that respect, however that still means that an additional step (unlocking the 1PW Safari extension) would be required where that wasn't the case before.

I guess if the same Go and Fill ability were built into the extension it would be about the same thing...I don't necessarily need to open the full 1PW application. I see that it does work the same way, but also does not auto-submit.

1PW (beta) 3.7.b8

Thanks again for your help!
    Hi Richsadams,

You’re welcome. I do apologize for the confusion. We hope to have this fixed as soon as possible and yes, you’re correct, it is the same as doing the Go&FIll in the extension. You might find it easier and faster to do it via the extension instead of the app. We just added the ability to edit your Logins directly in the extension, so it might cut down the amount of time you have to open the 1Password app.
  • rwross wrote:

Running App 3.7.1 and Extension 3.7.b9 and Go-and-fill still does not autosubmit...can you guys confirm that this is still broken on your end. Oddly, it worked with the b7 version of the extension but was broken in b8.

OS is 10.6.8

thanks,
    rwr

Everything works fine for me on Lion. On Snow Leopard I can't get it to even fill. Not sure what could be wrong at the moment -- hope to fix this tomorrow.
  • richsadams
    richsadams
    Community Member
    edited August 2011
    One other feature of 1PW that I kept forgetting to ask about was the 1PW menu item being available with Control-click/right-click. That disappeared but now I see it's returned. It's a very handy feature. Thanks very much for that!

Once the Go&Fill auto-submit feature works 1PW will be as good and possibly better than before IMHO.

Ultimately it looks like that unless we need to do some editing of existing data or get more detailed information from the Wallet section, etc., a majority of 1PW's day-to-day work will be via the browser extensions. That will take a little bit to get used to but overall I think that may be where the improvement is...there's really no need to open the actual app most of the time, just open the browser, unlock 1PW and you're good to go. Users should find the extension pretty robust once they get up to speed. (And personally that's how I would "sell" the update...basically a "one stop shop" unless you have some heavy lifting to do.)

Again, thanks very much for your hard work and just let us know when the auto-submit is functional and we can once again start bragging about 1PW being a Mac Gem!
  • richsadams
    richsadams
    Community Member
    edited August 2011
    Just one more thing. :) Will the Credit Card details be included in the final version of the 1PW Extension? I see that one of my credit cards has a details link (however there's nothing there when I click on it) and the rest don't have the link. Will that feature of the extension be limited to auto-fill or will the details be added as well?

The reason I ask is that often times websites require the CC verification number and the page disallows auto-fill so we have to look it up and enter it manually. If the details of the credit card are not available in the extension that will require opening the 1PW app, going to Wallet, finding the number and copying it. If the details were in the extension it would save several steps.

Sorry if that adds to your workload, or perhaps you're already on it.

Thanks again.

2qsxqo2.pnga0e1c7.png

EDIT: I see now that there are no detail links available for any items except the first one listed in "All Logins", "Credit Cards" and "Identities". I hope that element will be extended to all of the items in each section in the future.
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    richsadams wrote:

Just one more thing. :) Will the Credit Card details be included in the final version of the 1PW Extension? I see that one of my credit cards has a details link (however there's nothing there when I click on it) and the rest don't have the link. Will that feature of the extension be limited to auto-fill or will the details be added as well?

EDIT: I see now that there are no detail links available for any items except the first one listed in "All Logins", "Credit Cards" and "Identities". I hope that element will be extended to all of the items in each section in the future.

We're looking into what's [not] happening here. We are able to reproduce it so hopefully it won't take too long to get to proper working order. To answer your question: yes, the details should always show up and that would apply to all the items, not just the first one listed.
  • richsadams
    richsadams
    Community Member
    edited August 2011
    MartyS wrote:

We're looking into what's [not] happening here. We are able to reproduce it so hopefully it won't take too long to get to proper working order. To answer your question: yes, the details should always show up and that would apply to all the items, not just the first one listed.
    Sweet! Thank you.

Okay...here's an odd one for you. I've gotten very accustomed to using the keyboard shortcut, Command-\, to log into sites now. It's very strange that it doesn't work on the Agile Forums site though. When I use the shortcut the IPW extension opens...with your site listed and I have to click on that to log in. It works on dozens of other sites for me, but not yours. Irony?

Hope you aren't hating me about now. :)
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    richsadams wrote:

Sweet! Thank you.

Okay...here's an odd one for you. I've gotten very accustomed to using the keyboard shortcut, Command-\, to log into sites now. It's very strange that it doesn't work on the Agile Forums site though. When I use the shortcut the IPW extension opens...with your site listed and I have to click on that to log in. It works on dozens of other sites for me, but not yours. Irony?

Hope you aren't hating me about now. :)

I know that you're just kidding (I hope), but some of our customers perhaps have the wrong impression about how we feel when you write or post: the AgileBits crew is here for you, as are numerous forum volunteers with a passion for 1Password and this is what we do! We don't "hate you" for asking for assistance or clarifications about any of our products.

So to your issue with the Agile forums site... please help me understand how you're trying to get signed in. It sounds like you are navigating by hand to our main URL and then using the keyboard shortcut while in the browser. If there is only one matching Logins item for that URL then with our latest extension versions you shouldn't see the popup at all — unless you have to provide your master password, otherwise the Logins item should just automatically fill your credentials. Of course with our forum page, there aren't fields for the credentials on the main landing page so you have to first click on the link to log in and you can then submit your credentials. It may be that this just happens to be the first place you visit and the extension needs your master password at that point. Could that be it for you? Please let me know any other details you can think of and we'll look into it for you.
  • richsadams
    richsadams
    Community Member
    edited August 2011
    MartyS wrote:

I know that you're just kidding (I hope), but some of our customers perhaps have the wrong impression about how we feel when you write or post: the AgileBits crew is here for you, as are numerous forum volunteers with a passion for 1Password and this is what we do! We don't "hate you" for asking for assistance or clarifications about any of our products.

So to your issue with the Agile forums site... please help me understand how you're trying to get signed in. It sounds like you are navigating by hand to our main URL and then using the keyboard shortcut while in the browser. If there is only one matching Logins item for that URL then with our latest extension versions you shouldn't see the popup at all — unless you have to provide your master password, otherwise the Logins item should just automatically fill your credentials. Of course with our forum page, there aren't fields for the credentials on the main landing page so you have to first click on the link to log in and you can then submit your credentials. It may be that this just happens to be the first place you visit and the extension needs your master password at that point. Could that be it for you? Please let me know any other details you can think of and we'll look into it for you.

Yes sir...absolutely kidding! I'm just happy that you folks are so tolerant and really impressed with your "listening skills"!

With respect to the AgileBits website, here's what I'm experiencing (keeping in mind that I've already unlocked 1PW, either the extension or the app)...

Receive an email notification of a new post on the AgileBits website > click on the link in the email and am taken to the page/post in question. If I want to respond I click on the "Sign In" link at the top of the webpage. A standard sign-in page appears. I press the keyboard shortcut (Command-\) and instead of being logged in the 1PW Extension opens. The website/password link is listed and if I click on it auto-submit works as expected, I'm returned to the correct webpage and all is good.

Here is the login page:

1zp6rzo.png

This is what happens when Command-\ is pressed:

m9vs5h.png

I was just surprised that the keyboard shortcut does not work on this website! It's not a big deal but it does seem a tad ironic. It should certainly be a back-burner item as compared to everything else, but I thought I'd mention it. FWIW the keyboard shortcut works as expected everywhere else I've tried it.

Thanks again for keeping after all of this, much appreciated!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2011
    Yes sir...absolutely kidding! I'm just happy that you folks are so tolerant and really impressed with your "listening skills"!

Aw shucks. Thanks, richsadams! You are too kind. :-)

I can't seem to reproduce the issue you are seeing for the forum Login on my machine when I use the Command-\ keyboard shortcut. What is the URL you have saved for your forum Login? Please be sure that it is the same as the page your are visiting to Login. It should be:

http://forum.agile.ws/index.php?app=core&module=global&section=login

Does that help at all, or is it already set to exactly that?
  • richsadams
    richsadams
    Community Member
    edited August 2011
    khad wrote:

Aw shucks. Thanks, richsadams! You are too kind. :-)

I can't seem to reproduce the issue you are seeing for the forum Login on my machine when I use the Command-\ keyboard shortcut. What is the URL you have saved for your forum Login? Please be sure that it is the same as the page your are visiting to Login. It should be:

http://forum.agile.ws/index.php?app=core&module=global&section=login

Does that help at all, or is it already set to exactly that?

D'oh! That was the key...I hadn't verified the actual login to see if it matched up. The one I had saved was for a support login page, not the normal Sign In page. Works perfectly now!

Apologies for the confusion and thanks again!
  • richsadams wrote:

D'oh! That was the key...I hadn't verified the actual login to see if it matched up. The one I had saved was for a support login page, not the normal Sign In page. Works perfectly now!

Apologies for the confusion and thanks again!

Great! Thanks for the update.
  • richsadams
    richsadams
    Community Member
    edited August 2011
    Just dropping in to let you know that I've been using the latest 1PW update for a while now and it seems to have covered all of the bases! Thanks and well done! I can effectively use 1PW via the browser extension for most of my work. It took a little getting used to, but it works well.

The only thing I would like is to not have to type in my master password in the actual 1PW App if I've already unlocked the extension...not sure if that's doable or not though.

The only oddity I've noticed is that a few times now I've clicked on the 1PW button in Safari to unlock it, typed in my master password and have gotten an error message...something to the effect of "Database error, please restart Safari..." (I should have taken a screenshot.) In any case, I've never seen that before and it's happened several times now. I can quit and restart Safari and all is good, but it's a little worrisome. I'm sure you're aware of it, but is there anything we can do on our end to avoid that?

OS X 10.7
    Safari v5.1 (7534.48.3)
    1PW v3.7.2 (build 31099)
    1PW Safari Extension v3.7

TIA and keep up the great work!
  • richsadams
    richsadams
    Community Member
    edited August 2011
    Thanks very much for the quick reply! Unfortunately the "database error" just happened...and this is after updating to v3.7.5 (build 31106). Here's a screenshot:

spau7c.png

Quitting and restarting Safari took care of it.

Don't shoot the messenger! :)

Thanks very much for all of your hard work!
  • richsadams
    richsadams
    Community Member
    To follow on to my post above, I just updated to 1PW v3.8.0.BETA-2 (build 31109). I'll let you know if I experience the "Problem with database" issue again or see anything else unusual.

Thanks very much for continuing to make 1PW a great application!
  • Richard Lenon
    Richard Lenon
    Community Member
    "Go & Fill" does not work if I'm going from another site to my Schwab login page. The site says the name and/or password are incorrect. But if I navigate to the page, 1P does offer the password, and that way it does work. I have not found another site like the Schwab one; the rest of my Go & Fill"s seem to work.

I am running Version 3.8.2 (build 31121) on Lion 10.7.1, and think I have the latest Safari extension, 3.7
This discussion has been closed.