Is there a user guide to available item types? I'm new and want to design/plan before implementing.

Options
petuniasauntie
petuniasauntie
Community Member

I'm new to 1Password and setting up a family plan that includes children and elderly people with memory challenges for whom I am becoming power of attorney. I want to take the time to plan and design our account to make the transition to use for our youngest and oldest family members easy and to make my job as the family organizer tractable.

I'm a human factors engineer by training and am comfortable with making the calls about how to organize things. What I'd like is a detailed reference guide to the options and feature of 1Password for families (including, especially, the current options for item types and their features and the hierarchical structures - vaults, etc - and attribute structures - tags , etc. within 1Password.)

So far I'm not finding the equivalent of a user guide on your site. Do you have one available?

I've read a bunch of forum/blog posts and learned a lot, with the caveat that what I read spans different time frames in your product evolution and so the information was, in some cases, outdated (pre-subscription vs. post-, pre-family "team" beta (?) phase vs. post family plan launch. This makes my interest in a current user guide specifically for the family plan service I subcribed to even more of a priority.

Meanwhile, from the forum, it seems that your usual guidance to new users is to just get started and learn as we go. I will do some of that, using my personal set up as a sandbox, but before I start opening up enrollment for my other family members I want to be sure I know enough to recommend specific approaches for each based on their particular goals, abilities, and challenges. For that I need more detailed reference material from you so I can get up the learning curve more efficiently. Several blogs mentioned a "manual" but either had no links or defunct links (like this one: https://support.1password.com/guides/)

I'm not looking for nuts and bolts how-to instructions for basic steps (though I would appreciate that, too) but rather, 1) a guide to all the options I have for structuring my data, i.e. a reference manual; and 2) a guide to structuring one's data given how 1Password works, i.e. recommended organizing principles or best practices or illustrated case studies or the like. (I've already gleaned some input like this from the forum, I'm hoping for more comprehensive, collected, current input.)

Besides a user manual are there any other relevant materials on planning one's account structure that you can point me to?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Is there a user guide to available item types? I'm new and want to design/plan before implementing.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@petuniasauntie: We actually have a guide for items, which I think your family might find more useful and approachable, that goes over the important stuff:

View and edit your items on 1Password.com

But I think this might be more along the lines of what you're looking for:

How to customize your 1Password items

However, item types are actually — in spite of what the list may make you think — pretty simple. There are only four that "matter":

• Password items are saved automatically when you use a generated password. Basically no one needs to worry about this except as a safety net if they forget to save a Login for a site.
    • Credit Card items are used for filling payment details in the browser.
    • Identity items are used for filling personal information in the browser.
    • And, perhaps most popular, Login items are used for filling login credentials on websites.

All of the other types are simply templates for things you might want to store in 1Password. All of these can be customized to some extent, but it's important to note that the 4 "special" types above use the default fields for filling. Otherwise it's just a matter of personal preference which types you use to store data. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• petuniasauntie
    petuniasauntie
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Brenty!

I had seen the first two links you sent before writing. What helped most here is your clarification that there are only four types that do filling and that the other "types" you have provided are templates for storing personal information but are not used for automated online form filling.

Would it be fair to say that the other 14 types** currently listed in the item creation drop down are essentially custom information types that you have provided as optional templates and that we, as users, can customize those or replace them with our own customized versions of information types (and that all of these - yours and any that we customize) can not used for filling forms except by manual copy and paste actions?

Assuming I am understanding that close to correctly, then is it possible to edit the type list to customize it for our family (i.e. to either edit or delete any or all of the provided information types, aside from the four that are use for filling, and to add our own custom types and have them show up in the drop down for users in our family group)? If not, how do custom types work - how do users access them - once they are established?

I did come across multiple references in your forum posts to not being able to customize information types so it seems you have upgraded 1Password with the capability for user-defined custom types fairly recently. I am happy to have access to the functionality, however it works, for sure!

Regarding the references to user guides and manuals that I found scattered in forum posts: is there a manual available at all? I noticed references to separate manuals for PC vs. Mac users, etc. Do these no longer exist? Or a listing, in one place, of whatever documentation is currently available, something like a table of contents? If guides like those you sent me links to are all that is available for documentation now is there a listing of all available guides in one place?

[**to be completely clear about which types I am referencing above, in addition to the main four fillable types of Login, Credit Card, Identity, and Password, the other fourteen types listed are: Secure Note, Wireless Router, Server, Email Account, Document, Bank Account, Database, Driver License, Membership, Outdoor License, Passport, Reward Program, Social Security Number, Software License]

Thanks again for your help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Would it be fair to say that the other 14 types** currently listed in the item creation drop down are essentially custom information types that you have provided as optional templates and that we, as users, can customize those or replace them with our own customized versions of information types (and that all of these - yours and any that we customize) can not used for filling forms except by manual copy and paste actions?

@petuniasauntie: Exactly! :chuffed:

Assuming I am understanding that close to correctly, then is it possible to edit the type list to customize it for our family (i.e. to either edit or delete any or all of the provided information types, aside from the four that are use for filling, and to add our own custom types and have them show up in the drop down for users in our family group)? If not, how do custom types work - how do users access them - once they are established?

This isn't possible with 1Password Families. Custom categories is an experimental feature only in 1Password Teams Pro plans. Hopefully that will go well and we can do that across 1Password in the future, but I can't make any guarantees — other than it's something we really want ourselves.

Keep in mind that the existing "templates" don't do anything if you don't use them: they will only show up in the menu for creating a new item. If you don't have any "Membership" items, for example, you won't even see "Memberships" in the sidebar or item list. Custom fields can be added to any item though.

Regarding the references to user guides and manuals that I found scattered in forum posts: is there a manual available at all? I noticed references to separate manuals for PC vs. Mac users, etc. Do these no longer exist?

We had user guides/manuals in the past, but almost no one read them. So now we're focused on creating rich guides for specific topics/tasks rather than trying to document every menu item and setting, etc. You can find all of these here:

https://support.1password.com

I'm glad that I was able to help a bit, but be sure to ask anything else! :)

• petuniasauntie
    petuniasauntie
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome sauce! I feel like I'm significantly up the learning curve to knowing how I want to set up our family plan and I haven't even started playing within my own account as a family sandbox yet!

On another subject, I came across some older posts** in your forum yesterday that discussed the idea of crowd sourcing templates for users by creating a repository of templates that users can contribute to. I LOVE that idea (and actually found myself hoping to find something like that when I started my process with 1Password...)

It would be so useful for at least two dilemmas users have: 1) starting up as a newbie user and wanting to jump start the process of tailoring for individual needs; and 2) sharing ideas and insights among experienced users to improve templates over time in the pursuit of best practices, including, particularly, in niche applications; this could include the ability to rate and comment on submitted templates to add to the peer-to-peer information in the repository.

To those ends four suggestions I have if you do ever pursue crowdsourcing functionality would be to:

a) add a checkbox inline in the final step of customizing a template to ask the customizer if they would like to share their custom template with others (perhaps with a choice to share "as is" or to mask or anonymize any element that may contain identifying or other sensitive information (e.g. by manually highlighting any included proper nouns); This could include a brief pitch on why sharing is of value with a link to the respository; I believe this would increase the frequency of sharing significantly - once someone shares once they will find the checkbox triggers a natural, automatic go/no-go decision on every template they create;

b) to offer the option, to the sharer, of selecting relevant category tags from a dropdown that capture the obvious uses for the to-be-shared template to help organize the template repository (among categories defined by an AgileBits curator or community advisory board?);

c) to include community support for repository users to rate and comment on shared templates so that, over time, peer-to-peer guidance emerges; and

d) organize something like curators (permanent paid experts on what's in the repository - also acting as moderators?) and guest reviewers (invited outside experts, paid or voluntary, with valued perspectives?) who would create collections of templates selected for particular use cases and post their collections with a narrative about their choices and envisioned uses.

These last two suggestions would address the challenge of how to communicate best practices and offer jumpstart advice to newbies and power users alike in as fine-grained niche usage cases as emerge within the community (N climbers who are global high altitude "peak baggers" and want to share how they use 1Password to manage the business side of basecamp support internationally? M parents of multiples -twins, triplets, quads- who want to share how they use 1Password to organize their babies' medical accounts and records? P entrepreneurs who want to share how they use 1Password to address security and privacy needs while using co-working spaces? With the right community supports those in the niche will be able to find each other...)

**older post cited above: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/19520/if-custom-categories-were-available-how-would-you-use-them

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@petuniasauntie - over the years, I personally have gotten requests for everything from categories for locker combinations to car registrations to insurance forms to gun licenses/registrations to...well, you get the idea. And every one of my colleagues could tell you similar stories. Each time, I've no doubt at all that the particular person in question would benefit from us taking the time to create a category for whatever it is they have a lot of.

Unfortunately, if we said "yes" to all of those, 1Password's plus button to create a new item would soon be so crowded with things the average user probably would never use, that we've learned to resist all of those requests and instead focus on getting Custom Categories out the door. That way, as you note, individual users can add what they want, without being deluged by a lot of unneeded, unwanted and potentially confusing stuff that comes hard-coded from us. While we'll never say never to altering or adding to the list of pre-populated categories in 1Password, it has to be a really compelling case for us to consider any changes there.

We're still considering options for how we'll handle Custom Categories, but thanks for making your wishes known. :) I like the idea of a community repository; we'll have to see how much actual community energy there might be behind such a thing. Have a great rest of your week!

• petuniasauntie
    petuniasauntie
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Lars. Makes perfect sense. In fact, regarding what you wrote here:

While we'll never say never to altering or adding to the list of pre-populated categories in 1Password, it has to be a really compelling case for us to consider any changes there.

...it seems to me that you might want to consider reducing the number of baseline pre-populated categories and increasing your emphasis on and documentation of the fields that are the building blocks of categories so that users can become better customizers.

I live in SoCal now but as a former Wisconsinite who grew up in "north woods" close(r) to AgileBits home locale of Canada I get the reasons you have a lot of people wanting to add "Outdoor licenses" to 1Password, but now that you have custom category support it seems a bit odd to see that (and other) categories on your baseline pre-populated list.

Between that and the fact that [ 1Password = data repository/sharing + stellar security ] in this age of massive security breaches your ongoing success will inevitably lead to proliferation of data types well beyond what you envision (and probably already has.) I have really enjoyed reading about the thinking those of you on the AgileBits team are doing to figure out where to draw the box around what 1Password is and what it isn't. (The visibility on this kind of thing is another benefit of your openness within the forum, in addition to what someone in some post I read described as a policy of openness to promote trust in a product that, by its nature and mission, requires we trust it.)

I think the support challenge in helping users becoming adept at customizing would be greatly helped by crowdsourcing category templates and supporting peer-to-peer community growth centered around customization. Add my vote to the "Yes on crowdsourcing" tally!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great discussion! I think if we were starting over today we'd have mostly just custom categories, with some basic templates. Fortunately, the existing types don't get in your way if you don't use them. But yeah, definitely some historical baggage there. Hopefully we can get a good, solid, easy-to-use system in place for custom categories, and then perhaps we could do something like that with the great community of 1Password users. We're happy to have you join us! :chuffed:

• petuniasauntie
    petuniasauntie
    Community Member
    Options

Just a footnote to say thank you to both Lars and Brenty for pointing out that the existing category types don't get in our way if we don't use them - e.g. they don't show up as we use 1Password in our implemented user configurations unless they are selected components we choose to include. This was also a helpful bit of guidance for this new user - it helped me stop worrying about the distinction between existing and custom categories. Even the four main types that are important to distinguish because they get used for filling forms online don't need to be bothered about if they aren't used. This type of input from the AgileBits team members was very helpful to continue wiring in my mental model. I'm looking forward to getting more clarification on what customization is possible with the categories that do include form filling functionality. That part of my mental model is still pretty sparse...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@petuniasauntie -- on behalf of both brenty and myself, thanks for the kind words! He's not in yet today, but I know I can speak for him when I say we love seeing new users get really into the nitty gritty of using 1Password. We love what we do here, and all of us work quite hard to present you with the most thoughtful end-user experience we can. 1Password is obviously about security, but just like most things, it doesn't matter how powerful or good-at-its-purpose something is. If it's difficult or off-putting to use, people just won't use it. So we pour as much love into how 1Password is to use as we do into making sure it's as private and secure as it can be, and that's why it makes us happy to see someone really digging it as a new user. Drop by any time and ask questions, play devil's advocate, ask for feature modifications or new features, heck, even lodge complaints. We feel very lucky to have engaged users like you. :)

This discussion has been closed.