Problem with domain matching

Hi team,

I have a domain with multiples subdomains.
For example :

• app1.foo.bar
  • app2.foo.bar
  • app3.foo.bar

When I go to app1.foo.bar, I have proposition for logins but for all subdomains (app1, app2, app3).
I didn't see anything in settings to say : app1 login only for app1.foo.bar, not for *.foo.bar

Is it planned to add this in settings ?

Many thanks for this (almost) perfect password manager :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Tuxfanou,

Thanks for trying out the 1Password for Chrome beta!

I don't want to commit to adding a selective way to only display login items for domains that exactly match. There's a chance we may add something like that in the future, but instead, we'd prefer to present login items in a more logical manner. For example, if the first login in the list matched both the domain and subdomain, would that be an acceptable compromise?

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• Tuxfanou
    Tuxfanou
    Community Member

Hi @beyer

thank you for this very quick reply :)
    It sounds be the good choice, it's a good idea.
    Some websites uses different subdomain to register, so we can recover login avec if domain to register and domain to login are differents.

If it's possible to have at the top of the list the login with matched domain and subdomain, it will be perfect :)
    You gave me an idea about that.
    Is it possible to give only matched subdomain if it exists and give domain if subdomain doesn't exist in database ? (I think this idea is not very good but I want to ask ^^)
    I think it's hard do do it because we need to add also a new setting "equivalent domains"
    Example :

• app1.foo.bar exists in db : 1P display only app1.foo.bar
    • app1.foo.bar doesn't exists in db : 1P diplay all for *.foo.bar

To resume :

• Your proposition is very good and I hope you can do it :)
    • I supose, my second proposition is very hard to implement in 1P but it will be perfect for me (but I'm not alone to use 1P :chuffed: )

PS : If you can add popup to create new login in 1P when I create a new account on a website, it will be the perfect extension (we don't really need a native linux app, but we all hope it)

Sorry for my bad English, if something is not comprehensible, I will try to be more explicit.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Tuxfanou,

We have some changes coming soon to improve our sorting of login items.

Is it possible to give only matched subdomain if it exists and give domain if subdomain doesn't exist in database ?

This is definitely possible, but something we'd like to avoid as it tends to have a lot of downsides for most users. For websites where they need to use a login item across multiple subdomains, they would need to add each one to the login item. In the end, we get a lot of folks that end up having issues finding their login items.

If you can add popup to create new login in 1P when I create a new account on a website, it will be the perfect extension (we don't really need a native linux app, but we all hope it)

You'll see some early implementations of Login saving very soon and we will be working to make it even better as we go forward! Stay tuned.

Thanks for the feedback, it's greatly appreciated!

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• wagner_n
    wagner_n
    Community Member

Why not reimplement the exactly same logic that already exists on the old browser plugin used on MacOS? I've been using 1Password on Mac for years and the login suggestion works fine. I was surprised to see that the same set of logins does not no provide the same suggestions on Linux/Chrome.

Even Windows version on Linux (wine) managed to display better suggestions :(

• I appreciate where you're coming from, @wagner_n, and indeed we very well might do what macOS does some day. I'm simply not sure yet. As for "why" we haven't yet, there's two main reasons.

First, I don't want us to be afraid to try new things. After all, Chrome for OS wouldn't even exist if we didn't throw caution to the wind and take a stab at a completely native extension. We have an opportunity here to try something completely new and perhaps we will come up with something better than we have ever had. Perhaps we won't. But we gotta try because the current approach is not without it's own issues. Please see my reply here for more details on that.

Second is simply a matter of time. Everything in the current beta is completely new, rewritten from the ground up, and we simply haven't been able to make this a priority yet. While this is important, we also just added Save Login and Use Suggested Password yesterday, so there are many features competing for our time. I can assure you that better domain handling is indeed one of the most requested features (and we talk about it more than I care to admit); I simply cannot say when it will make it into app.

We have many fun things to be working on! It's a good problem to have :)

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with us and helping us to set the priorities. <3

This discussion has been closed.