1Password crash on search or folder change - inconsistent but frequent

nehpetsca
nehpetsca
Community Member

Problem:

• Executing search (while typing into the search 1Password top right "Search 1Password" box) will crash 1password (window disappears, crash dialog comes up.) Crash is not instant - I can sometimes get a few letters typed in (with successful on-the-fly entry list updating) before the crash. However, it is most common to crash before any information on screen updates.
  • Changing Categories (clicking on a category in the list of categories) can also produce this behavior - though I do not remember the entry list ever updating before the crash in this situation.

This has been occuring throughout v6, but I cannot remember if this occurred prior to v6.
If I ignore it, it will usually work some hours later, sometimes as little as 15-30 minutes later. I re-open 1password, authenticate, and then don't use it.

Frequency:
This is not consistent enough for me to track easily, and I have not yet done diary tracking as it is just infrequent enough to be frustrating but not frequent enough (I just pull my phone out and use 1pass there typically - not the same convenience at all though.)

Installation:

• 1password v6.* on macOS 10.11-10.13
  • Extensions in use for chrome, safari, but extensions have not crashed (at least not enough for me to notice, the extensions sometimes fail to respond for a minute.)
  • Mixture of live and beta installs (I was originally using beta line early in v6, switched to live to ride out some OS changes, and I'm going to try beta again at this point.
  • Some old Dropbox sync vaults were in place as I could not get them to delete early v6. I found that I could delete them and have removed them, so up till this message the install was split between family and dropbox syncing. Going forward it will be family only.

Actions taken:

• I have tried removing and re-adding the family sync (early in v6, but not again since then.)
  • I always try quitting and restarting all browsers/background processes before restarting a crashed 1password, but have not found this to be obviously effective (usually fails to work, when it does work hard to be sure it had anything to do with this.)
  • I do not restart the computer for this issue, as it typically occurs during an extended workflow which I'm unwilling to interrupt.
  • I submit the apple and application crash reports whenever possible.

I am submitting the diagnostics from your Troubleshooting tool after I submit this.

I manage 4 other adults in the family using the software, on a mix of Macs and Windows machines (mostly Mac) and have not had anyone else encounter this problem. I'm assuming either some unhappy mixture with one of my other items or a data error (I've had a lot of 1password installs and some of the older ones never really cleaned up well on removal.) I have not attempted to clean install or sequence test (the other installs) yet as 1password is primarily functional and I do not wish to degrade it further without attempting to repair first.

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: macOS 10.13 (17A365)
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nehpetsca -- sorry to hear about the difficulties, and thanks so much for the detailed post describing them! I agree, a diagnostics report is the only way we're even potentially going to get any idea of what's going on. If you haven't sent them already, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#FLZ-38293-387]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @nehpetsca only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

• robbshecter
    robbshecter
    Community Member

I've been having the exact same problem, and came here to report it. The app isn't usable for me, but luckily the new web app is very good, and that's a decent workaround.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @robbshecter! Sorry to hear 1Password for Mac isn't working properly for you right now. As much as it makes me glad to hear you like the 1Password web app, it's really not a substitute for fixing the problem you're having. With 1password.com, you can't auto-fill or submit your login items, for example. And you shouldn't have to be "working around" something like this.

Can you describe the problem you're having in detail, please? Are you searching in the 1Password mini in your Mac's menubar or in the browser, or are you doing the search in the main 1Password for Mac window? What version of 1Password for Mac are you using? What version of macOS or OS X?

• nehpetsca
    nehpetsca
    Community Member

Diagnostics submitted again with the [#FLZ-38293-387] tag at end of Subject line.

• robbshecter
    robbshecter
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

It's the Mac App, and when I search, it's with the in-app search feature. It seems to crash when I hit Return. Also crashes when selecting categories in the left app nav. My macOS and 1Password are the latest versions. 1Password 6.8.3 (683005) Agile Bits Store. macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.

I submitted Diagnostics with the code in the subject line.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nehpetsca -- Gotcha, and someone will be with you shortly!

ref: FLZ-38293-387

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

@robbshecter -- thanks for the additional information! But, what code did you submit? Did you use nehpetsca's code? Or did you get a different ticket code from a colleague of mine? Each code is specific to an individual. Can you clarify?

ref: IKL-11989-434

• robbshecter
    robbshecter
    Community Member

Heh, yeah, I used the one above, [#FLZ-38293-387].

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

OK. thanks for letting us know @robbshecter -- someone will be with you as soon as possible. :)

ref: OPM-5386

This discussion has been closed.