Cannot open old vault having moved to subscription service; inaccessible in China without VPN

mikas
mikas
Community Member

I am a new customer of the subscription service, having used the old app previously intermittently. I have to say that this move to the subscription service is one of the most confusing aspects of this whole process. My current problem is that I am unable to open the vault on my MacBook. I am able to open my new vault associated with the subscription service on the web and on my iPhone, but without it accessible on my MacBook, this is a problem.

Related to the "upgrade" to the subscription service, it was a very confusing signup process. There is the app on the Mac App Store. There is the purchase from within the App. Are these the subscription service? Is this a standalone app? There is no way to know. And the migration of the data- this should have been seamless and automatic although clearly that was not done on my MacBook. I reinstalled the app on the MacBook and the browser plugins, but still cannot access the data with either my old password or the new one.

Finally, to add insult to the confusion around the new subscription service, the Support Forum is inaccessible in China without a VPN. This is extremely user hostile to users in China. Any and all web services attached to all of your websites which make the services inaccessible in China should be stripped out and replaced with services that work within China. How can you expect to have any users in China if key parts of your website are inaccessible without a VPN?

1Password Version: 6.8.3
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• mikas
    mikas
    Community Member

The Support Forum, and other key Agilebits pages, are inaccessible in China without a VPN due to probably a few Google-provided services. Please reconsider using these services that are tied to Google and use something that is more friendly to users in China. Having to log into a VPN to use 1password is a serious issue and severely limits 1password's reach within China.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 10.12.6
    Sync Type: iCloud

• mikas
    mikas
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

Ok, I am now able to access the old vault. However now I have a Primary (old) and Personal (new) vault. I have to use iCloud to sync which only syncs the Primary vault. Do I need two vaults? Why is there a Personal vault? This is confusing.

Also the 1Password Mac app only opens with my old password, not the password for my new subscription service. How do I merge the two Vault passwords?

Then, how do I migrate username and password data from browsers to the vault? This should be seamless and easy and is it really expected for users to copy and paste data from browser databases to the 1password vault?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

@mikas: Thanks for letting us know. I'm sorry to hear that China is apparently blocking 1Password.com now. Not long ago I heard from other customers that this was not the case. Unfortunately we don't have any control over that.

Finally, to add insult to the confusion around the new subscription service, the Support Forum is inaccessible in China without a VPN. This is extremely user hostile to users in China. Any and all web services attached to all of your websites which make the services inaccessible in China should be stripped out and replaced with services that work within China. How can you expect to have any users in China if key parts of your website are inaccessible without a VPN?

I am very sorry to hear that, and I can imagine how frustrating that must be, but we are not going to compromise the security or privacy of all 1Password users around the world just so the Chinese government will unblock our site.

The Support Forum, and other key Agilebits pages, are inaccessible in China without a VPN due to probably a few Google-provided services. Please reconsider using these services that are tied to Google and use something that is more friendly to users in China. Having to log into a VPN to use 1password is a serious issue and severely limits 1password's reach within China.

Just to clarify, 1Password.com does not use Google services. Regardless, using a VPN is a good idea.

Ok, I am now able to access the old vault. However now I have a Primary (old) and Personal (new) vault. I have to use iCloud to sync which only syncs the Primary vault. Do I need two vaults? Why is there a Personal vault? This is confusing.
    Also the 1Password Mac app only opens with my old password, not the password for my new subscription service. How do I merge the two Vault passwords?

This is one in the same: 1Password unlocks with the Master Password for the first vault or account added. So, as long as you have a Primary vault in the app, that will be the Master Password you need to enter. If you have moved all of your data into your 1Password.com account (please confirm this), you can simply remove the Primary vault by disabling local vaults in Preferences > Advanced. Then, if you're signed into your 1Password.com account in the app, that will be the Master Password you use to unlock.

Then, how do I migrate username and password data from browsers to the vault? This should be seamless and easy and is it really expected for users to copy and paste data from browser databases to the 1password vault?

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you have usernames and passwords saved in the browser itself? If there's not an export function, you'll need to copy and paste them. There's nothing 1Password can do about that. But if you can export the data, you may be able to use @MrC 's converter to get it into a useable form for import into 1Password.

This discussion has been closed.