Auto Lock too aggressive

Options
ulope
ulope
Community Member

Since a relatively recent update auto lock has started to become too aggressive.

I've configured auto lock to only lock on sleep (http://cl.ly/263q383V1k18) and set my mac to ask for it's password immediately after screen lock / sleep (http://cl.ly/2z2t1d353i2h). Yet 1Pw keeps asking for the master password every time I return from a locked screen

Steps to reproduce:
1. Configure 1Pw and Mac as per above screenshot
2. Lock screen (e.g. with Ctrl-Shift-Eject / Ctrl-Shift-Power but also happens with MacID's "Lock Screen" command)
3. Log in again
4. 1Pw is now locked

Is there a way to fix this? It's quite annoying (esp. since my master password has > 20 chars).

Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.3.1 (631006)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ulope,

Thanks for asking about this.

The lock on sleep setting in 1Password applies to both Mac sleep as well as display sleep. I'll let the developers know you'd like to see separate options for the two, so you can disable lock on display sleep while still enabling lock on Mac sleep.

ref: OPM-4166

• ulope
    ulope
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the fast reply.

Just to be clear: This worked in previous versions where only "real" (i.e. system) sleep triggered locking.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ulope

On behalf of Khad, you're welcome! You are right, this is new behaviour. We'll keep in mind your vote about reverting it back to the way it was :chuffed:

• WinterDreams
    WinterDreams
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @khad and @Pilar!
    +1!
    Please! Waiting so mush for separate options to lock 1Password on screen/mac sleep!!! I have to enter master password 10 times a day with last app update - it's really, really uncomfortable :(

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016
    Options

Thanks for letting us know you would also like to see this, @WinterDreams. I've added your vote. :+1:

• todd_oppenheimer
    todd_oppenheimer
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I am having the same problem, and strongly urge an update fix ASAP. Please! You may also want to note that I was advised by a computer consultant to avoid many if not most of your updates because they often introduce more problems than they fix. I decided to take a chance on this one (simply to guard against hacking), and now I now regret it. So you may want to see this fix as part of a broader fix -- to make sure that any updates don't ruin the functionality of your previous features, and of 1Password itself. If you can achieve that, you may wish to include such assurances in your update notes.

Thank you. Please reply asap: [email address removed by admin]

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @todd_oppenheimer,

(Please note, I’ve edited your post to remove your email address. This is a public forum and we don’t want you to get any unsolicited mail. :) )

I’d like to clarify something said earlier in this thread:

This worked in previous versions where only "real" (i.e. system) sleep triggered locking.

Auto-Lock has essentially acted the same way since 1Password 5, save for a bug introduced early in 1Password 6 that caused the behaviour to change. The recent update resolved the bug and returned the app to the intended behaviour. So, what you’re seeing now is not something in need of fixing.

Personally, I love that 1Password locks when my screensaver is activated, but I can certainly understand how users like yourself would prefer to be able to control this a bit more closely.

We do have this filed in our system as an improvement request, and I’m happy to add your vote there.

• ikanspelwel
    ikanspelwel
    Community Member
    Options

I preferred the previous behavior as well. Where "Screen Sleep" was treated differently then "Computer Sleep". Until I ran across this post I thought it was a bug or something wrong with my computer.

Please separate screen sleep and computer sleep. I am very security minded so when I walk away from my desk I "lock" my screen, and when I come back 1Password has also been locked. This is really annoying as I only want 1Password to lock when I sleep my computer, log out, or reboot.

Please return prior functionality.

Thanks,
    Adam
    Customer Since Feb 2009!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ikanspelwel,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here! I’ll let our team know you’re interested in this. :)

• nixta
    nixta
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

+1 Please.

If it was a bug, so be it :) But the old behavior was really useful. I work from home so no concerns about passers by or colleagues snooping. No-one but my wife and I have access to the machine and she can have full access to my vault for all I care. All this does is tempt me to change my master password to something simple. I used to have to type it once or twice a day. Now it's a couple of times an hour and is a real pain.

Would love to see the old behavior simulated :)

Nick

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @nixta

thank you for your input about 1Password and what behaviour you like best! We'll keep your comment in mind. While I can't tell you whether if or when this will be changed back, I'll pass your comment along to our team and we'll see which direction all this takes! :chuffed:

• dpvrai
    dpvrai
    Community Member
    Options

I second and third this. I am having to enter password 10+ times a day when I am actively working on the same computer. I use Chrome with multiple identities.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dpvrai

Thank you for letting us know what you think about 1Password and its behavior. Just so you know, have you played with different setups in 1Password's Preferences? On the tab Security you can find different settings for when 1Password is locked :chuffed:

I'll pass your comment along to our dev team!

• ikanspelwel
    ikanspelwel
    Community Member
    Options

I am still waiting for this option to be integrated into 1Password.

It is very annoying that the OLD functionality (even if it was a bug) has yet to be returned to 1Password, and from your comments it doesn't seem like it is on the roadmap either? Please don't get me wrong, as a whole I think the program is great you all do a great job, but this is an unfortunate blemish to your product. The current "Lock on sleep" is misleading as I don't consider that the display going to "sleep" as my computer sleeping. There is a big difference between computer sleeping and my display sleeping. The settings under the security tab are unsatisfactory.

Please, please add separate "sleep" options.

Thanks,
    Adam

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ikanspelwel,

I'm sorry this behavior has been so annoying for you! Some of our developers also prefer the old behavior and would like to implement separate settings for "Lock on display sleep" and "Lock on system sleep", so I think there's a good chance that will happen. However, there's no timeframe for that, and I don't have any news about its status, so I really can't make any promises about it one way or another. (That doesn't mean it won't happen, but I don't want to give you any false expectations.) I'm not a developer myself so I don't know the exact details, but my understanding is that it's not as easy to implement as it may seem.

I'll gladly add your comments to our internal tracker for this, and I'm sorry I don't have anything new to tell you about this right now! Please let us know if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

• GabrielBerlin
    GabrielBerlin
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. Please have an option to lock only on sleep, but not on just a sleeping screen. It is good for energy efficiency to have your screen go dark rather soon, but if it super-annoying having to re-enter the 1Password password every time this happens. So please add this, if not for the users, then for the environment. :)

All the best
    Gabriel

• Adrian B
    Adrian B
    Community Member
    Options

Same here as well. I've been following this tread quietly for a year, hoping that this would be solved. The new (not so new anymore) behaviour is a regression for many users and it seems like a small feature to add, but apparently it's not a priority.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, folks. We don’t have any plans in this regard at this time, but we do appreciate the feedback and will take it into consideration as we plan future improvements.

Also while I understand this may seem like a regression, we actually fixed a bug that returned things to their intended behavior. 1Password currently works as designed in this regard.

Thanks!

Ben

• Adrian B
    Adrian B
    Community Member
    Options

I'm returning to this since it still bothers me that screen sleep locks 1Password. Is it still no plan for separate settings for computer sleep vs screen sleep?

While using a laptop on batteries an aggressive screen sleep is often used to preserve the batteries and that means 1Password is locked constantly. And if you have a really good, long master password – as you should – then it's more than a little annoying to unlock it all the time.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Adrian B

I'm returning to this since it still bothers me that screen sleep locks 1Password. Is it still no plan for separate settings for computer sleep vs screen sleep?

Correct: I'm not aware of any plan to have separate "screen sleep" and "computer sleep" settings.

While using a laptop on batteries an aggressive screen sleep is often used to preserve the batteries and that means 1Password is locked constantly. And if you have a really good, long master password – as you should – then it's more than a little annoying to unlock it all the time.

I can understand how that might be annoying. We might reconsider if there is enough demand for it, but if anything it seems demand has decreased (as evidenced by the recent level of activity in this thread). Now that most new Mac laptops are coming with Touch ID support, and I suspect that'll only become more widespread, unlocking 1Password even with a long Master Password is pretty quick and convenient.

We'll continue to keep an eye out for feedback on this, but at this point I think situations such as this are more likely to be resolved by other means (e.g. Touch ID) vs a separate auto-lock preference.

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.