To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

What is difference in app and membership

Options
mmdtulsa
mmdtulsa
Community Member

Even after reading online- I'm still not sure of the difference between the app and membership capabilities. I think I had a trial version for Families which says it's frozen now. But I have the app on my iphone, ipad, and mac. Where can I see exactly what kind of account I have?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac
Sync Type: Cloud
Referrer: forum-search:Difference between app and membership

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @mmdtulsa,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

Membership encompases the apps. It includes them. The apps are an important part of getting the most out of your membership. Membership is typically the least expensive and easiest way to use 1Password as with 1Password Families all of the apps are included for you and your family, whereas otherwise they'd each need to be purchased separately.

You can read a bit more about what membership includes here:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

That said some folks who have a high level of technical expertise prefer to use the apps separately, without membership. This gives them the ability to choose a 3rd party sync provider, at the cost of many of 1Password's features.

Ben

• mmdtulsa
    mmdtulsa
    Community Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

I still am having trouble syncing, probably because I have so many 'types' of accounts with you. I have the mini version on my mac desktop as well as 1password6 and 1password apps. I have the apps on my iPhone and iPad. I re-upped our family membership today to try again to figure this out. Please help me understand which programs/apps I need and how to sync them. I have tried searching for answers but my situation doesn't seem to fit. On my iPad it shows I have 41 'all items'. On my iPhone it shows 242 'all items'. On my mac (1password mini) it shows 162. What do I have to do to get them all to sync? HELP.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @mmdtulsa,

Please make sure that:

1. You’re signed into your 1Password Families account in each of your instances of 1Password. On Mac this is done under 1Password > Preferences > Accounts. On iOS this is done under 1Password > Settings > 1Password Accounts.
    2. All of your data is in a vault that is part of your 1Password Families account (Personal / Private, or Shared). Items in the Primary vault are not part of your account and are not synced. You’ll want to move items that are in the Primary vault to the relevant account based vault, and then delete the Primary vault from each device. Note that when a Primary vault exists 1Password unlocks with the Master Password of that vault, instead of your account password. After you delete the Primary vault you’ll unlock 1Password using your 1Password Families account password.

Move items between vaults

Thanks.

Ben

• mmdtulsa
    mmdtulsa
    Community Member
    Options

1) On mac - I assume you're talking about using the 1password website? I cannot find how to get to 1password >preferences>accounts.. I can get to Settings>account, but don't see preferences. The website says i'm logged into family account.

2) On iPhone, after getting to account, it doesn't say 'Families'. It does have the same email as the family, which to me, should tie all accounts together?

• Ben
    Options

1) No, I’m talking about on your devices. You’ll only see 1Password > Preferences on Mac. On iOS it is 1Password > Settings.
    2) It doesn’t tie the Primary vault in. The Primary vault is a standalone (non-membership) vault. It is never synced via a 1Password account. As such if you want your data to sync it needs to be in an account based vault, and not the Primary vault.

Ben

• mmdtulsa
    mmdtulsa
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, let's focus on only the mac for now. From what screen do I find Preferences? I have searched and cannot find it. This is the screen I'm working from: https://my.1password.com/profile. (sorry, tried to insert screen shot - it's not letting me)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

(sorry, tried to insert screen shot - it's not letting me)

@mmdtulsa: What do you mean by that? To include a screenshot in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. However, it is possible that you have browser settings or extension that are interfering with that.

This is the screen I'm working from: https://my.1password.com/profile.

But it sounds like your problem is that you're viewing the 1Password.com website in your browser, not using the Mac app. Have you installed it? You can do this right from the Get the Apps page in your account, where you can also use your Setup Code:

https://my.1password.com/apps

Ok, let's focus on only the mac for now. From what screen do I find Preferences? I have searched and cannot find it.

After you've installed and opened 1Password for Mac, you can find its Preferences in the application menu, like anything else on macOS:

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• mmdtulsa
    mmdtulsa
    Community Member
    Options

ok thank you for clearing up difference between using the app on a desktop as opposed to using the website. Previously, Ben said I needed to delete the Primary vault if I wanted to sync my devices. In the app (on my desktop) I clicked on preferences>sync and my only choice to sync was my Primary Vault....I moved all logins from the primary vault to a personal vault since he said to do that if I want to sync. Still confused.

• Ben
    Options

Okay, it sounds like you’ve moved your items from Primary to Personal. Great. Do you now see those items in the Personal vault if you view it on the https://my.1password.com website?

If so are those all of your items, or do you have other items that currently only exist on other devices?

If all of your items are now visible through my.1Password.com you can safely delete the Primary vault. You’d then sign into your 1Password account on your other devices (if you aren’t already), and then delete the Primary vault from those as well.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.