Feature Request: downloading of Documents from 1Password to local disc

telephoneman
telephoneman
Community Member

Usecase: I have added some documents to 1Password. I don't know how to redownload them to local disc. Especially PDFs are in preview, I can email them etc. but why isn't there a simple option to save docs to local disc?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@telephoneman: You can do this from the item's details:

Just keep in mind that opening one of these outside of 1Password means it is no longer secure: apps cannot read them when they're encrypted.

• cttwapps
    cttwapps
    Community Member

@telephoneman @brenty

I've found that 1p prefers viewing a document if it can; so for things like txt, pdf, eml, doc you may need to take a few extra steps to pull a copy out of the object details.

While not ideal I find that the following steps work:

• open document in QuickLook
    • then click the Open With Preview button
    • from there, you should now be in Preview, you can command-s to save your document.

I also uses the "Messages" option from the share sheet to send myself an iMessage and I can drag-n-drop from Messages; this tends to be hit and miss at times but your mileage may vary.

I hope this is useful.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cttwapps -- thanks for the steps! And yes, we do try to display as many file types as we can, because that way your data can stay encrypted. But all of your steps should work most of the time (depending on file type saved). brenty's reminder is also well-taken, however: this will mean your data are saved UNencrypted (since other apps cannot read encrypted files). Assuming that's OK with you, then feel free to do any of the above you wish.

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member

@brenty what @cttwapps say is the point - you need some weird workarounds to to get the document downloaded. There is no direct "download" button. I am asking to get a feature where I just can click "save to" or "download" (what ever...)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@telephoneman -- if you just want the ability to direct download in 1Password for Mac, you can click on any Document in 1Password and choose (from the menubar) Item > Download local copy, but this is equivalent to just clicking the icon within the 1Password item itself. In brief, easily-displayed image formats (jpg, png, etc) as well as PDFs will only allow you the Quick Look option. Other file types 1Password (or Quick Look) can't easily display (.eml, various proprietary license files, etc) will allow you to click the drop-down arrow and choose from the familary "Open with," "Show in Finder" menu.

However, the temporary folder into which these documents are downloaded (in private/var...) is deleted every time 1Password is closed or locked, so the only way to really access these documents is using the kind of workaround @cttwapps suggested. We don't make this easy because we assume you want to keep this information encrypted and secret: if you didn't, you wouldn't put it in 1Password, you'd just save it to your Documents folder or another location.

We are working on some ways to improve this in the future, but this one is kind of a tricky proposition. It requires we respect users' obvious wishes for encryption protection and privacy (which we assume from the document being in 1Password to begin with) along with their potential desire/need to edit or interact with the item outside of 1Password. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@telephoneman: Just to clarify:

@brenty what @cttwapps say is the point - you need some weird workarounds to to get the document downloaded. There is no direct "download" button. I am asking to get a feature where I just can click "save to" or "download" (what ever...)

Again, we don't want people accidentally saving decrypted copies of file on their computers, and that's exactly what the result would be if it's a single click or something. Saving the file to disk from the app where you open it temporarily, or using Item > Download local copy as Lars suggested are not "weird workarounds"; 1Password is designed for security, not as a general-purpose file manager. So it isn't something we're going to change unless we can make it clear to the user what's happening, to make sure it's their intention to export an insecure copy.

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

@Lars @Brenty: That "Item-->Download Local" copy was what I Was looking for. Thanks. Maybe you can also implement a drag and drop like use case (like for import) - that should be clear for the user that the file is NOT anymore in 1Password

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@telephoneman - thanks for the suggestions. To echo what brenty said, I doubt we'll be changing this unless we can figure out a way to make sure even the least sophisticated user understands what they're doing with such a feature (especially if they're going from an encrypted to an unencrypted copy). Glad "Download Local Copy" works for your purposes for now. :)

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

@brenty I am trying to do the migration like discussed here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/83196/is-there-a-difference-between-1password-com-and-1password-eu#latest

is there any way to migrate the documents? Also within the reference links of objects to each other? Currently it only copies all items and no chance to move the documents. Any trick?

• Hi @telephoneman,

Unfortunately there's no trick. It's a very manual process, and one we'd love to make better one day. The only "trick" you can do is to select the Download Local Copy menu item that you've found. I'd love for drag/drop to work from 1Password to outside of it for Document items.

Better yet, I'd love for the Mac app to realize that document files are downloaded and do the right thing when attempting to copy them across servers (they can cross accounts within the same server already).

Rick

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member

@rickfillion is there a way to get all documents in a batch downloaded. "Thankfully" in case of PDFs there is no button to download. (don't want to discuss again this thing) -In which folder are them loaded. Actually I even don't find the option "Show on Hard drive"

• @telephoneman : You can batch download them by selecting all of the document items, then right clicking to use the Download Local Copy menu item. That should download all of them. They'll be downloaded, but not decrypted. You'll still need to go to each individual item and click them to decrypt them to disk.

You can then use the litte button next to the Quicklook button to expose "Show in Finder" which will show you the decrypted file. The files will be in a directory structure that might be relatively easy for you to sift through to find them all (once they're all marked as decrypted).

I hope that helps.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.