To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

What is uploaded to 1P servers

MichaelIra
MichaelIra
Community Member

New to 1Password. Currently using trial version of 1P subscription. Syncing from Mac to iPod and iPhone both via WLAN. Purchased 1P-pro for iPad.

Questions:

• what data (if any) are uploaded to 1P servers?
  • is a subscription necessary if I continue to sync via WLAN

Thanks!

Hardware/Software:
• MacBook Pro running OS 10.1.6, 1P 6.8.3 version extension 4.6.12
• iPhone SE running iOS 11.0.2 (15A421)
• iPad running iOS 11.0.3 (15A432)
• 1P 6.9.1 on both iOS devices

1Password Version: 6.8.3
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: OS 10.1.6
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

what data (if any) are uploaded to 1P servers?

@MichaelIra: Only encrypted data is ever uploaded to our servers, and only at all if you're using a 1Password.com account.

is a subscription necessary if I continue to sync via WLAN

No. You can use local vaults and sync your own data without an account. But each app is a separate purchase in that case. A 1Password.com membership includes everything.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Also membership includes all updates, even major ones, while without it the upgrade to version 7 will be a paid one.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Good point, @danco - thanks for the reminder. :)

• MichaelIra
    MichaelIra
    Community Member

Thanks Team for all the helpful comments. Still trying to decide which way to go. Seems the more I learn the more questions I have.

"Only encrypted data is ever uploaded to our servers, and only at all if you're using a 1Password.com account."

• Standalone vault items seem to be contained in the primary vault. Is this correct?
    • With a 1Password.com membership using only standalone vaults, , are standalone vault data uploaded to 1P servers?
    • With a 1Password.com membership are primary vault data (containing standalone vault data) uploaded to 1P servers?

"You can use local vaults and sync your own data without an account. But each app is a separate purchase in that case"
    -currently using trial version of 1P on all three devices, all downloaded from Apple App Store. At the end of the trial period if I chose to purchase the app rather than subscribe to a 1Password.com membership, how exactly would I accomplish purchases?
    -Would I then have to purchase three apps...one for each device?
    -What is the price of purchasing the app?

Thanks again!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

@MichaelIra

Seems the more I learn the more questions I have.

Isn't that the way with pretty much everything? ;)

Primary is the default vault created by 1Password if you are using it in local vault/standalone mode, instead of with a 1password.com account. However, it's possible to create additional local vaults by using the File > New Vault command in 1Password. But if you haven't done this, then yes - your data will be stored in Primary.

If you want to pay for an account and then use only local vaults, you'd need to create an account on the web at the main 1Password sign-up page, then add a payment method in the Billing section, and download 1Password for Mac and sign into your account in 1Password for Mac. Then, you'd need to visit Preferences > Advanced and check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts," and finally visit Preferences > All Vaults and UN-check all your (empty) account vaults and make sure Primary is selected as "Vault for Saving."

1Password data in local vaults are never uploaded anywhere, unless you choose to use a 3rd party sync service like Dropbox or iCloud. If you intend to use WLAN exclusively, your data would remain only on servers and devices you own/control.

Purchasing a standalone license for 1Password for Mac can be done at our AgileBits store. Purchasing for iOS would need to be done via the App Store, like all iOS apps. You can use one license purchase on as many Macs as you own/use.

• MichaelIra
    MichaelIra
    Community Member

Thanks Lars! Exceedingly helpful.

One more question: I currently have a (trial) 1Password membership (using 1P 6.8.3 version extension 4.6.12). Should I choose to purchase a $64.99 license would the password information I have created be handled? Start from scratch? Or after purchase would I simply need to enter license information?

• @MichaelIra

Licenses don’t apply to memberships, so it wouldn’t be possible to simply apply a license to your existing setup. Only a subscription could do that (memberships are only available via subscription). You could copy your data into a standalone vault to continue using the same data, and then sign out of the membership account.

1. 1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts
    2. Move your data to the Primary vault ( https://support.1password.com/move-share-items/ )
    3. Sign out of the membership in 1Password > Preferences > Accounts

I hope that helps!

Ben

• MichaelIra
    MichaelIra
    Community Member

Thanks Ben

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@MichaelIra -- on behalf of both Ben and myself, you're quite welcome.

This discussion has been closed.