0.9.5 intermittent error presenting as "incorrect master password"

After using the extension successfully for half a day, I was suddenly unable to unlock, always getting "incorrect master password" errors. Reloading the page with dev tools open revealed this error coming from the extension:

inline.js:1 Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot read property 'items' of null
at B (inline.js:1)
at B.next ()
at ot.selectables (inline.js:1)
at selectables.next ()
at inline.js:1
at

A few minutes later, things are working again. During the "outage" I was able to reproduce this both on Linux (Chrome 62) and macOS (Chrome 61).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey @tamird,

Welcome to the support forum! I'm super delighted to have you in our beta crew!

We did indeed have an outage, which is what caused your Master Password errors. 1Password for Chrome doesn't cache your items locally. Instead, they are downloaded on-the-fly and decrypted locally as needed. We don't, but will in the future, display an error within the 1Password app to inform you if there's an issue connecting to the 1Password servers. We also have plans to securely cache items locally which will provide a similar experience to our native 1Password applications.

In the meantime, if we have a small outage like today or if you don't have a network connection, you'll see the message indicating an incorrect Master Password.

I sincerely apologize for the slight confusion, and you should see everything working correctly now. Please let me know if you're still experiencing issues, and if your finding 1Password for Chrome helpful. :)

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

I'm also getting incorrect master password, but I assume that's related to the service degradation email I just got before

I had to login via my families url which accepted the same master password

• haraldwithtwoehs
    haraldwithtwoehs
    Community Member

I'm happy to see you're planning a local cache...

• dhrose
    dhrose
    Community Member

I too am having this problem so I removed the extension from my linux machine so I could reload it but can't remember where I went to download it - can you please tell me where that is? Also, the extension just disappeared from my chromebook.

• tamird
    tamird
    Community Member

Are you guys having another outage? Where does one see the service status?

• dhrose
    dhrose
    Community Member

Thanks for the link - I'm back in business!

• gthb
    gthb
    Community Member

During the 1password.com outage yesterday, my Chrome extension (this beta) in Linux was unable to unlock. The error message was that I had entered my master password wrong, but I'm pretty sure I didn't (made several tries). The incorrect error message is one thing, but... is the extension expected to be inoperable when the service is down or unreachable? Does it not cache everything locally?

Cheers,
    Gulli

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

Hello everyone,

I just posted to another topic that had comments related to this one. Since that topic pertained to build notes, instead of merging the two topics I'll quote myself here:

I sincerely apologize for the issues we experienced yesterday. On October 29th, the primary database server for 1Password.com accounts was upgraded to the latest version of Amazon Aurora and moved to a larger instance which should've improved the 1Password service for us all. Unfortunately, the upgrade and migration created some technical issues that resulted in the 1Password.com service becoming intermittently unavailable.

1Password for Chrome currently requires the 1Password servers to unlock and download items when you view their details or perform a filling operation. We have plans to securely cache 1Password items, similar to how our various other 1Password apps operate today. Local caching of items is a significant undertaking and will take some time before it's ready for a public release.

As you can imagine, it's been a hectic time here for all of us, but it looks like we've made it to the other side. In the future, you can view the status of 1Password on our status page or our dedicated 1Password status Twitter account.

I hope you all have a pleasant week and please let me know if you have any questions.

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.