Window focus in 473 [Will be fixed soon]

jhamer
jhamer
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello - Starting again in 473 the window focus when Ctrl-clicking the taskbar icon whether in locked or unlocked state puts the window focus on the new 1Password menu option instead of either in the master password box (locked state) or the search box (unlocked state).

Launching from the start menu, or right-clicking taskbar icon and choosing 'Open 1Password app' does not specifically focus on the 1Password menu option, but does not set the focus properly either.

Unrelated interface feedback: Absolutely appreciate the UI efforts, thank you! Not a fan of the new non-standard menu bar at the top. Much preferred the icons at the bottom of the blue field. Not sure what purpose the translucent blue field serves... none for me. I vote to put it back to opaque and get rid of the menu bar so I can recover that screen space.

Thank you!
--Jeff

1Password Version: 6.8.473
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win10 17025
Sync Type: All

Comments

• Hi @jhamer,

As always, thank you for the feedback. You are often the first to give us feedback on new builds.

I can confirm the control + click issue and filed a bug report, we'll get it fixed in the next update.

ref: OPW6-1569

'Open 1Password app' does not specifically focus on the 1Password menu option, but does not set the focus properly

Good catch, it will be fixed soon.

ref: OPW6-1570

Not a fan of the new non-standard menu bar at the top. Much preferred the icons at the bottom of the blue field.

Thanks, we do understand that feeling. This isn't a sure thing, we are still experimenting as the bottom bar isn't flexible enough to accommodate future settings we're going to add. As we're heading toward 1Password 7 with local vault, licensing and more features that are coming soon, having a menu that's also consistent with 1Password on macOS would help. Note that the menus are barebone at the moment, so it doesn't seem more useful than the command bar on the bottom. Once we add 2-3 more menus, it'd start to make sense. At least, we hope so.

Not sure what purpose the translucent blue field serves... none for me. I vote to put it back to opaque and get rid of the menu bar so I can recover that screen space.

There is no purpose other than to make it pretty and consistent with our 1Password design plus the general direction that Windows 10 is going with its new Fluent Design. We're trying to find a balance of a modern 1Password look while still trying to implement features that could potentially make it more complicated to use, so we're trying various ideas to simplify while adding more with less options.

However, the design isn't final for sure. The spacing inside the sidebar is not optimal, there is too much of whitespace that we want to minimize and I believe once we do, you'll get a lot of screen space back. Of course, this won't be limited to sidebar, we want to minimize it everywhere in 1Password interface.

• jhamer
    jhamer
    Community Member

Note that the menus are barebone at the moment, so it doesn't seem more useful than the command bar on the bottom. Once we add 2-3 more menus, it'd start to make sense. At least, we hope so.

The menu bar makes more sense as it begins to fill out. Pondering it a bit more, I think it's the introduction of yet another shade of blue that bothers me visually the most. Doesn't even match the item highlight color. Perhaps color is tied to Windows theme, but I'm running with out-of-box settings visually speaking.

Looking at other Win apps, there seems to be a mix of menu bar vs no menu bar, and when they exist, they are visually different. The MacOS 1P gives the feeling of no menu bar because of its un-tethered approach.

There is no purpose other than to make it pretty and consistent with our 1Password design plus the general direction that Windows 10 is going with its new Fluent Design.

No issue with a Fluent Design direction either, as long as efforts are made to adhere to the Fluent Design specs, which this change alone doesn't seem to take into account. ;)

I'm along for the ride experimenting with UI changes and trying to improve product usability while making it visually appealing. It's a very subjective area and I'm sure you'll have more opinions offered than you ever wanted. :)

Thanks again to the team for all your efforts. The progress over a year's time is impressive.

• Hi @jhamer,

Pondering it a bit more, I think it's the introduction of yet another shade of blue that bothers me visually the most.

The blues are all over the place right now as we have not taken the step to "consolidate" them yet, especially with highlighting such as the darker blue highlight on the menus against the item highlight, the light blue titlebar and so on.

We really want to adopt the Windows color accents as well, so that it fits with the overall Windows look but that's down the line. At the moment, the colors are coded by us, not taken from the system.

Looking at other Win apps, there seems to be a mix of menu bar vs no menu bar, and when they exist, they are visually different. The MacOS 1P gives the feeling of no menu bar because of its un-tethered approach.

That's one area where macOS exceeds compared to other platforms, they have a consistent human guidelines that majority of the developers follow and Apple is consistently updating their APIs that all developers uses. This is the opposite on Windows, where Microsoft has fragmented the guidelines into two separate ones, UWP (Fluent Design System) and your standard Win32 design elements for regular apps and WPF that we use in 1Password 6.

the Fluent Design specs, which this change alone doesn't seem to take into account. ;)

It is not, another customer replied about the same thing here, which I've replied to.

• I'm along for the ride experimenting with UI changes and trying to improve product usability while making it visually appealing. It's a very subjective area and I'm sure you'll have more opinions offered than you ever wanted. :)

We don't have much users on the beta team, so any feedback is really welcome here. At the moment, we want MORE.

Thanks again to the team for all your efforts. The progress over a year's time is impressive.

We couldn't do it without our community, the feedback is what is driving the progress.

Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.