Chrome plug-in doesn't work after upgrade until the application is opened at least once

snebla
snebla
Community Member

I had an interesting few hours trying to debug this issue and thought I'd call it out here in case it helps anyone else (or the support sees it and reports it as a defect).

Yesterday I updated (via Mac App Store) to 6.8.1 and immediately after the update I noticed that my Chrome plugin icon was grayed out. After trying a bunch of things (restarting the browser, checking the browser version, checking the chrome plugin version, etc.) I managed to "fix" the problem just by opening the 1Password application (i.e. not the drop down menu but the whole app). It appears that the app doesn't allow the plug-in to access the data after the upgrade until it is launched at least once.

Vlad

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: 4.6.9.90
OS Version: MacOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi Vlad,

Thanks for sharing your experience here! Hopefully it is helpful to others who may be in the same situation.

Ben

• doerrstop
    doerrstop
    Community Member

Thank you for posting your solution. I have been experiencing the same issue recently and was frustrated to the point of trying out alternative applications as I have to use Chrome at work. Support needs to resolve this and post the solution to the support page as soon as feasible. I've been a 1P fan for years and years and this was beginning push me away.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

@doerrstop - glad this helped you! You should always re-launch your applications after upgrading them (or related plugins, extensions, etc), unless specifically instructed by the developer not to do so.

In the case of 1Password in the browser, you do need to unlock either 1Password mini (in your Mac's menubar) or the main app, before you get access to your data. And if you've recently (re)installed the browser extension, or upgraded to a version of 1Password that uses Native Messaging to communicate with Chrome, then you may need to re-authorize the browser extension.

This discussion has been closed.