Please help me fix a messed up Sync situation!

JC54
JC54
Community Member

(Please forgive this lengthy explanation.)

I’m a long time 1Password for Mac user. I sync 3 computers and 2 iOS devices via Dropbox. Originally it was with a file called “1Password.agilekeychain” that is in the main level of the Dropbox folder. Later when a newer version came out and I tried to set up secondary vaults, it switched to a file called 1Password.opvault in the Dropbox>Apps>1Password folder where the other vaults are located.

Today I needed to create a new vault, and I noticed a discrepancy in the files that are syncing and the modification dates. I’m now concerned that I’m not actually syncing correctly and I don’t know how to fix it. First it appears that my Primary vault has reverted to syncing with the old .agilekeychain files that remained in the Dropbox folder, while the other vaults were using the .opvault files in the Apps folder.

Here’s what I’m seeing (.agilekeychain files in main Dropbox directory, .opvault files in the Apps directory). I can only access these 2 computers at this time.

Computer – Filenames – Finder Modification Date

Office – 1Password.agilekeychain – Nov. 7, 2016
Office – 1Password.opvault – Aug. 16, 2017
Office – 2nd Vault.opvault – Aug. 16, 2017
Office – 3rd Vault.opvault – Sep. 18, 2017
Office – 4th Vault.opvault – Jul 24, 2017
Office – NEW 5th Vault.opvault – TODAY, 4:40 PM

Home – 1Password.agilekeychain – TODAY, 8:10 AM
Home – 1Password.opvault – Aug. 16, 2017
Home – 2nd Vault.opvault – Oct. 30, 2017
Home – 3rd Vault.opvault – Aug. 16, 2017
Home – 4th Vault.opvault – July 24, 2017
Home – NEW 5th Vault.opvault – TODAY, 4:40 PM

Settings on iPhone show this (I've only been syncing 2 vaults here)
iPhone – 1Password.agilekeychain – an hour ago
iPhone – 2nd Vault.opvault – an hour ago

Question 1: I don’t often make changes to the extra vaults, so the fact that nothing has changed in a while doesn’t surprise me. However, they shouldn’t they have the same modification dates on both computers.
I’ve edited some passwords both on the Office computer and the iPhone last night and this afternoon, and the Home computer last night.

Question 2: What is the proper way to merge the 1Password.agilekeychain files with the 1Password.opvault files, assuming that’s what I should do? I’ve got nearly 1,000 items in the Primary vault so comparing would be tedious, if not impossible. And I guess a secondary question is “should I delete the older .agilekeychain files after I get all devices pointing at the .opvault files?
Or I guess the more general question is “How do I straighten out this mess and make sure I haven’t lost passwords, etc.?” I've been looking at this for hours as well as reading other posts, and I'm just plain confused about what to do.

1Password Version: 6.8.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JC54 - Thanks for writing in, and even more for being a 1Password user for so long. I'm sorry you're having troubles with mismatched sync across devices. This can happen when you switch or disable and then re-enable synd, or (re)install 1Password on a new device. If you don't choose to sync to the existing Agile Keychain (or OPVault), you'll create a new one instead.

One of the best ways possible to solve this problem for good is to switch to a 1password.com membership - the advantages are many, but one of the biggest is: no more sync issues: you just set up your account, migrate existing data into it, then sign into your account in 1Password on each device you want to use it with, and voila! Just your data, synced reliably and (nearly) instantaneously, everywhere you have it. It's truly the hassle-free way to use 1Password.

However, I realize that doesn't help you right now. Maybe when we get you back on your feet here, you can think about it. :)

Regarding the current situation, although I'd like to help you here, I think that to get a better idea of what's where on your various devices, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?ios

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#HYP-26795-737]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @JC54 only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: HYP-26795-737

• JC54
    JC54
    Community Member

Lars, thank you! I'm working on compiling those from all devices now. I'll probably collect them and send in one email to make it easier for whomever works on it to get it all together.

One follow up question to your suggestion about membership. If I decided to do that, would these problems have to be sorted out anyway? Wouldn't changing over to the service cause the wrong data to be used or merged into one file? I'm generally opposed to those kinds of software plans where I have to pay monthly or yearly to use it. But the benefits are compelling.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@JC54 - yes, you'd still have to sort out your data one way or another, preferably before switching - you don't do yourself any favors of you just import a mess...then it's just a mess in a new place.

But the upside to a 1password.com account (well, one of the upsides, anyway) is that once you're using 1password.com for sync, these intermittencies, accidentally-duplicated keys and other issues that come with managing manual 3rd party sync, are a thing of the past. In other words, you won't be doing this again in six months or a couple of years.

It's certainly possible to keep a 3rd party sync setup running smoothly; the difference is that it's also not that hard to get something a little out of whack...and then things tend to snowball, as you've noticed: duplicated items, incorrectly merged items, potentially even data loss...these become a thing of the past when you use our own custom-built sync engine at 1password.com. You just sign into your account within the native 1Password app on each device you use, and your data are available immediately (well, almost).

I think your idea of sending everything on one email is a good one; I'll look forward to receiving it - and don't forget to include the code including square brackets in the Subject line of your email. Cheers!

• JC54
    JC54
    Community Member

All reports have been sent. Three emails. One with Mac reports, the others with iPhone and iPad reports. Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

@JC54 - thanks! We'll be with you shortly.

ref: HYP-26795-737

This discussion has been closed.