Help with migrating to 1Password Families

Comments

• nosillacast
    nosillacast
    Community Member

I'm in the same boat where beth_art was. I'm on a Mac, running 6.8.3 and I'm logged into my 1password.com account. My 3 vaults from the standalone version are listed outside of my family account where there is a Private and Shared vault.

I can find no instructions for how to move the vaults into the cloud service on the Mac if you have multiple vaults. I can find how to migrate on a Mac when setting up the new account but it clearly says you won't be prompted to move your vaults if you have multiple vaults. I can find how to migrate vaults for Windows.

But migrating multiple vaults on a Mac? Can't find it anywhere. I can find how to delete my vaults but of course, that's not what I want to do.

Read about Help --> Tools --> Migrate primary account above (not in instructions), but it's greyed out like it was for beth_art but I'm on the right version.

How do I get my vaults actually into my online account?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nosillacast: Ultimately it's impossible to make a one-size-fits-all guide involving moving multiple vaults. Some people have two or three, others have many more. And, depending on their purpose, it is important to decide how you want to do things. And many people find that this is a good opportunity to reorganize a bit too. You can start here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

That will migrate data from the Primary (local) vault to the Personal/Private vault in your account, since this is, for most of us, a one-to-one equivalency: this is how we've been using the Primary vault, to store personal data.

Then, with any additional vaults, you can create (or not) equivalents in your 1Password.com account (and share them if desired):

Create and share vaults

And finally move the data from each source (local) vault to the corresponding 1Password.com vault:

Move items between vaults

After that, you'll just need to delete any secondary (i.e. non-Primary) local vaults in 1Password by selecting them in the app and then going to 1Password > Delete (name) Vault. Once all secondary vaults are gone, you can disable local vaults in Preferences > Advanced to remove the Primary as well, so that only 1Password.com vaults remain.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• nosillacast
    nosillacast
    Community Member

Thanks for the response, Brenty but these are the links I already saw in the documentation and they don't help me. The first link about moving data is the video and text that says if you have only one vault, you'll be shown the option to move your vault to 1Password.com.

That page explicitly says, "If you have more than one vault, 1Password won’t ask to move your data to your new account. Learn how to move your items manually."

Ok, great. I click on the link provided to learn how to move manually (as I did yesterday). That link (https://support.1password.com/move-share-items/) shows me how to move individual items from vault to vault (and as a long-time user I already know how to do that). The page does not tell me how to move everything in my existing vaults into 1Password.com. I have 755 items in my vaults (and I'm not counting my husband's account yet) so I'm darn sure not going to move item by item.

As I said in my initial post, instructions for moving vaults into 1Pasword.com are available on Windows, but I'm on a Mac.

So....yeah. I'm still dead in the water.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nosillacast -- Try selecting one item and then typing ⌘A (Select All), then repeating the move command. :) You'll need to do this for each vault, but unless you put each of those 755 items in its own vault, this shouldn't take you too long.

• nosillacast
    nosillacast
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

I'm speechless. For Windows, there's a tutorial on how to move the Vault but we have to do it by hand on the Mac? Seriously?

Ok, I decided to give it a try even though this sounds really treacherous. I have one demo vault with 4 items in it. I selected Vaults, New Vault, chose my 1Password account and gave the new online vault a name. I then selected all in my standalone demo vault and tried to share to the newly-created vault on 1Password.com.

The vault was not available under Share --> Move
    Created another new vault, thinking maybe it was a name collision, so I chose a new name. Again, Share --> Move does not see the new vault. Checked my vault list and neither new vault is there.

Logged into 1Password.com and both of the new vaults are there.

So, yeah, this is so not working for me. I really want to get to the subscription service because I'm exhausted from reconnecting my Dropbox account (which worked flawlessly for years by the way and is fragile today). But I've already spent a couple of hours just trying to move my darn data and I still can't use the service.

Ideas?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

I'm speechless. For Windows, there's a tutorial on how to move the Vault but we have to do it by hand on the Mac? Seriously?

@nosillacast: I'm not sure what you mean about Windows. There is a tutorial for migrating the Primary vault to a 1Password.com account for each platform in this guide:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

It will default to showing you the platform you're viewing the webpage on in your browser. So, maybe you were looking at this on Windows (or have your browser's user agent set to say that). You can select from Mac, iOS, Windows, or Android to view instructions for each version. Just select the one you want to view.

Ok, I decided to give it a try even though this sounds really treacherous. I have one demo vault with 4 items in it. I selected Vaults, New Vault, chose my 1Password account and gave the new online vault a name. I then selected all in my standalone demo vault and tried to share to the newly-created vault on 1Password.com.
    The vault was not available under Share --> Move

Created another new vault, thinking maybe it was a name collision, so I chose a new name. Again, Share --> Move does not see the new vault. Checked my vault list and neither new vault is there.

Logged into 1Password.com and both of the new vaults are there.
    So, yeah, this is so not working for me. I really want to get to the subscription service because I'm exhausted from reconnecting my Dropbox account (which worked flawlessly for years by the way and is fragile today). But I've already spent a couple of hours just trying to move my darn data and I still can't use the service. Ideas?

Yup. I hear you. Dropbox is a great service, but setting up multiple vaults on each device can be a real chore. I have to be honest, I'm not sure what you're doing here based on your description though. Did you try what Lars suggested? It's literally just a few steps to select the items and copy/move them to a new vault:

1. (Create a new vault in your 1Password.com account if desired)
    2. Select the (old) vault in 1Password for Mac which contains the data you want to migrate to your 1Password.com account
    3. Right click on one of the items there and choose Select All (or hold Command or Shift to select individual items, if you just want some)
    4. Right click the selected items and choose Share > (destination vault name) > Copy/Move (depending on what you want to do, just like in the guide:

Move items between vaults

(Again, you can select the platform you want instructions for.)

We just can't have a specific guide for what you're trying to do, not only because I don't have any way of knowing the specifics, but also it's a lot of "if you want to", "if desired", either/or stuff. Anyway, I hope this helps! :)

• nosillacast
    nosillacast
    Community Member

Perhaps I was too verbose in my explanation so you missed the problem. I created new vaults inside my subscription account using 1Password for Mac, but when I try to move my data to those vaults, they did not show. I tried this repeatedly without success.

Five hours after creating them, at 10:55pm last night, I suddenly got a notification on my Mac that the vaults had been added to my 1Password app. Five hours is not the response time I was looking for and I'm highly concerned about being able to use 1Password.com if I can't immediately share items with my husband.

I'd love to hear that yesterday afternoon (Pacific Time) there was some server problem that caused this.

I will soldier on and now try to move my data from my local vaults to 1Password.com.

• nosillacast
    nosillacast
    Community Member

Good news. I just created yet another vault in my family account and it was immediately available to me. I moved 627 items in the blink of an eye. It does appear that something janky happened server-side last night which is now working. Whew.

Off to figure out how to add family members!

• @nosillacast

Thanks for the update! 1Password.com was unavailable briefly last night, so that may explain some of the difficulty. Glad to hear you were ultimately able to get it sorted out.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nosillacast: Glad to hear you got it setup! This guide gives a good rundown of inviting family members and sharing with them:

Share 1Password with your family

And be sure to let us know if you have any other questions. We're here for you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.