Safari extension needs to be reinstalled after quitting Safari

Options
joerowan
joerowan
Community Member

I have an ongoing Safari extension problem. I installed the extension and it works normal. If I quit Safari, the extension goes away. I reinstall and it works fine until I quit safari. All other browsers work normal. How can I keep the Safari extension installed?

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: 10.13
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@joerowan: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! That's pretty nuts. I've seen cases where Safari's extension database was corrupt and 1Password couldn't not update, so it makes sense that you'd have trouble with installation is well if that happened on your machine. If restarting doesn't help, it may be necessary to clear it manually:

1. Open a Finder window and use the keyboard shortcut ⇧⌘G (Shift Command G) to open a Go to folder window.
    2. Use the following location: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.Extensions.plist and click the Go button.
    3. Drag the highlighted file to the Trash.
    4. Launch Keychain Access which you can find in /Applications/Utilities/ or using a Spotlight search.
    5. Search for safari and right-click on Safari Extensions List and select the Delete "Safari Extensions List" option.
    6. In Finder go to the following folder (using the same method as detailed in step 1) to go to ~/Library/Safari/
    7. Drag the entire Extensions folder to the Trash
    8. Then restart you Mac and Safari, which will recreate the folder and hopefully sort out any permissions issues as well

If you're still having trouble, this discussion in Apple's forums might help, or you may need to contact Apple directly for assistance. Let me know how it turns out! :)

• joerowan
    joerowan
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I followed the instructions precisely. I reinstalled the extension which works fine. But the problem remains. If I quit Safari, then relaunch, the extension is gone. Can rinse and repeat endlessly. Will not stay installed. Extra info for you, 1Password is the only extension installed in safari.
    I did contact Apple. They were very clear, it is a 1Password problem!!

• joerowan
    joerowan
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I followed the instructions precisely. I reinstalled the extension which works fine. But the problem remains. If I quit Safari, then relaunch, the extension is gone. Can rinse and repeat endlessly. Will not stay installed. Extra info for you, 1Password is the only extension installed in safari.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I followed the instructions precisely. I reinstalled the extension which works fine. But the problem remains. If I quit Safari, then relaunch, the extension is gone. Can rinse and repeat endlessly. Will not stay installed.

@joerowan: Thanks for trying that and letting me know.

I did contact Apple. They were very clear, it is a 1Password problem!!

That's discouraging, because that isn't true: the reality is that 1Password (or any other extension) has no control over the installation in Safari; that's controlled by the browser, which is developed solely by Apple. If there was something wrong with our extension, other users would be having the same problem. Also, if you choose the option to install from the Safari Extension Gallery, you're even getting it directly from Apple (who has also approved this extension themselves):

1Password (Safari Extension Gallery)

Given that, I'm not at all confident that this is even something we can help with, but there ay a clue we can find. So if you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your Mac, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to see what might be happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#HNU-25198-119]

If you’re reading this and you are not joerowan, this Support ID is for joerowan only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we may be able to assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: HNU-25198-119

This discussion has been closed.