Icloud sync hosed on iphone x

Options
DConroy
DConroy
Community Member

Love 1password but the sync has always been an issue for me, especially whenever there's a change on a device...like a new phone.

I had finally gotten it working where I wanted it between my mac book and iphone 7 via icloud.

So now I got the iphone X, and it says it found my icloud vault, and it sure enough looks like it sync'd but I noticed several logins missing.

The count of logins is equal, but apparently what happened is there are a few dozen where it went into the new phone as "unnamed". Drill down into it and the entry is completely blank, no username, no password or url.

mac 1password is 6.8.4(app store)
iphone is latest, says 1password 7....

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DConroy: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately we don't have any insight into or control over 3rd party sync services like iCloud. But this guide will walk you through checking everything to narrow down — and likely resolve — the issue:

If you’re having trouble syncing with iCloud

Ultimately if iCloud is not syncing correctly only Apple can help with that. But you may be able to get rid of the issue by setting up sync from scratch. Does one of your devices have all of the correct data?

• DConroy
    DConroy
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

having had sync issues in the past, I'm familiar with all those. Each app is the latest on its platform, etc. The macbook has all the data intact.

I've seen it where the two devices just don't see the vault, etc. This seems to be a new one, where it tries to sync but trashes the data on download. It does not appear to be syncing the "unnamed" entries back up. Also, this is not just logins, secure notes, rewards programs, etc, they're all hosed. See screen shot....some are ok, many were created as "unnamed"

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DConroy: I'm not sure what you mean by "trashes", but that's seems a bit different. Which OS and 1Password versions are you using on each device currently? I think those "Unnamed" items may be left over from an older version. Are you actually missing data, or are these perhaps just extra items that have been hanging around in iCloud? I think there's a simple solution here, but I want to make sure we're on the same page.

• DConroy
    DConroy
    Community Member
    Options

What I mean is, it would seem as though some of the items(a login, for example) cannot be read and so 1Password created an entry but couldn’t finish filling it out, what’s left is an “unnamed” entry. I don’t think it’s a leftover because they are not present on the MacBook.

So yes, I am missing some data. As you can see in the screenshot, some data is there, but many or not. For example, my Bank of America and google logins are not present on the phone but there on the MacBook.

The counts match, however. The MacBook says 97 logins, so does the phone. I can’t verify they are all this way, but many of the ones that are missing are one where I had 1Password generate a strong password.

• Hi DConroy,

I've seen iCloud get stuck on syncing some files on the iPhone. This is much less common since we moved to the CloudKit SDK (away from iCloud Drive).

I recommend turning off iCloud sync on all devices, deleting your 1Password iCloud data, then turn iCloud sync back on from the device with known good data.

To delete your 1Password data on iCloud, use iCloud Preferences. Here is the path for iOS:
    Settings > YOUR NAME > iCloud > Manage Storage > 1Password > Delete Data

Please let me know if that fixes the problem.

• DConroy
    DConroy
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

So, better, but not really.

So now, the key logins I was missing are back(google, etc), however, now the counts don't match and syncing is not bi-directional.

I did what you said, and even wiped the ios app's data via settings in the app.

Deleted icloud data. Re-enabled sync on the macbook, it uploaded the good data.

re-setup the app on ios, and it brought it down, including google, etc.

However, the macbook states 97 logins, where the ios app only says 88. then I created test logins on both devices(1 at a time).

The one created on the macbook sync'd just fined to ios, but the one created on ios never shows up in the macbook.

• DConroy
    DConroy
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, the app caught up(?) and now is closer on the count, still off by 1, and still not syncing new passwords from phone to macbook.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DConroy: Yeah, that's nuts. Thanks for trying that and letting us know. I was going to have you do something similar to what Chad suggested, and he even went a little farther. At this point, unless there's something you haven't mentioned which we haven't taken into account, you've got two options:

A. Contact Apple and see if they can figure out what's going on with iCloud — we literally have no insight into that as a 3rd party developer.
    B. Use a different sync method.

Option A is a bit scary for me because, while Apple generally has great support, I've heard from a lot of folks who ended up having to setup a new Apple ID as a result of iCloud issues. Obviously that's not something I'd really want to do myself. So I'd prefer Option B.

However, I do fear that something might be missing here, especially since you didn't answer my earlier question:

Which OS and 1Password versions are you using on each device currently?

Please let me know exactly, for each of the devices involved here, including any others besides the Mac and iPhone. Thanks! :)

• DConroy
    DConroy
    Community Member
    Options

Because it was in my original post:
    mac 1password is 6.8.4(app store)
    iphone is latest, says 1password 7.0

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DConroy: Correct. You've told me the 1Password versions for two devices. Are there others involved, or is it only those two? What OS versions are you running? I don't know unless you tell me. :(

• DConroy
    DConroy
    Community Member
    Options

my mistake on missing the OS request. Just the two devices
    Macbook (late 2013, High Sierra 10.1.13.1)
    Iphone X (iOS 11.1)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DConroy: Thanks for letting me know. Since you're completely up to date, there's no reason you can't use one of the other sync methods. Let me know if you need help setting anything up. If you have literally tried everything in the iCloud troubleshooting guide, that's the only other option — besides getting in touch with Apple to see if they can figure out what's going wrong with iCloud on your devices. Let me know! :)

This discussion has been closed.