WLAN Server sync

Options

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

Didn't work for me. I uninstalled/reinstalled 1Password on the phone. I disabled the Mac firewall. After opening 1Password the only options were Dropbox, WLAN server and Local storage. I clicked local storage but it never gets past "Looking for 1Password on your network."

@Vexed: Just to make sure we're on the same page, why are you selecting "Local storage" if you're trying to use WLAN Server to sync? I believe I have a solution for you at the end of this, but I also want to address your other concerns.

Mac & phone are connected to the same network on my router. They're the only two devices connected to it and both are currently 2 feet away from the router with excellent signals.

In the Mac's WLAN server settings, why is it impossible to uncheck the Primary vault?

The WLAN Server (née Wi-Fi sync) protocol only supports syncing secondary vaults (where applicable) in additional to the first/Primary. When it was designed, 1Password did not support multiple vaults at all, so secondary vaults are transferred along with the Primary.

I don't want ALL the passwords in my Mac's primary vault transferred to my phone. That's why I created an Android vault with only 27 logins/credit cards (currently) that I may need when I'm away from my computer. My phone has VERY limited space and I don't want the 467 items from my Mac vault occupying it.

Gotcha. That makes sense. That isn't possible with WLAN Server unless your "Android" vault is the Primary, but that's an option at least.

There's also a typo in Android's WLAN server locating page. It says "Open 1Password for Mac or Windows and select Windows>WLAN server or File>WLAN server, respectively."
    The Mac location is Window>WLAN Server, NOT Windows>WLAN server.
    When I saw the word Windows, I skipped it and looked for File>WLAN server. When that wasn't there I tried the first option and found it. That's when I realized your error caused the mixup.

Sorry for the confusion there. Thanks for letting us know! We'll get that fixed.

ref: OPA-1305

And why is Server capitalized in the menu, but lowercase everywhere else? [pedantic - I know]

Because it's a menu item, I think it makes sense to use "Title Case". But I can see how that seems inconsistent. I've brought this up with our similarly pedantic documentation people. ;)

1Password Mac's WLAN tab says "Unlock 1 Password on your iPhone or iPad and select Settings > Sync to begin syncing." Well, that's not possible yet.

When sync is already setup, that's what you need to do. And since that is the most common scenario and there is no way to detect that you do not have sync setup at all, we don't have a better solution for that currently. I'm sorry if that threw you off as well. :(

The ONLY options available after opening 1Password Android for the first time are the three previously mentioned: Dropbox, WLAN server and Local storage. I can't unlock 1Password yet because there's no vault or data there to unlock. The WLAN connection and importing of a vault has to occur BEFORE I can unlock the app. Catch22

From your description, I think the problem is that you're trying to use both WLAN Server and Local Folder options together, and this just isn't possible.

I'm leaving town in 2 days and I need to get this resolved before then! Last time I used Local storage and was somehow able to create an Android.agilekeychain file on the Mac and transferred it to the phone via USB. I don't know how I did it because I've been trying for a half hour and can't do it again. That worked but it couldn't sync. I couldn't get the Bluetooth transfer to work last time either. So now I have a fresh install of 1Password, and it can't be used until I find a way to put the Android vault on the phone.

Based on your description, I think copying your secondary "Android" vault manually to you device would be best, since you can do so quickly without fiddling with sync settings or syncing the Primary vault, which you said you don't want to. Try this:

1. In 1Password for Mac, go to Help > Tools > Enable OPVault and make sure it's unchecked.
    2. Setup Folder Sync for your "Android" vault
    3. Copy the AgileKeychain vault you just created with Folder Sync to your Android device's local storage*
    4. Setup 1Password for Android using the local storage option, and select the vault you copied over.

*The only caveat here is that, depending on the device, you may or may not be able to use something like an SD card; some mount this as local storage and some do not, so that may work. But copying it to the _internal_ storage will allow 1Password to access it for sure.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

How come after you edit a post for the 3rd time it disappears until it has been approved? By that time it's too late to make any additional changes.

@Vexed: I don't think I've ever edited a post that many times, so I can't say for certain. But a common tactic of spammers is to post something innocuous to get it through a spam filter, and later edit it to include whatever content they want. If you added the image in an edit, it wouldn't surprise me if that's what triggered it. This forum is setup to allow you to save drafts, so you can use that to compose your post before submitting rather than editing multiple times.

I am not trying to use Local Folders and WLAN Server together.

Thanks for clarifying. Just wanted to make sure you weren't trying to do the impossible!

On the Mac I was able create Android.agilekeychain and Android.opvault files (though I don't know how and haven't been able to do it again).

Either setting up Dropbox sync or Folder sync will result in a vault being saved to disk, based on your setting (Help > Tools > Enable OPVault).

Then I copied those to the phone and got 1P to open the keychain file. But of course it won't sync with the computer that way.

Right. That would be a one-time, manual process. I suggested it since you were trying to do something very specific, and there was a time constraint involved. That would allow you to get the result you want quickly and easily.

Sometimes I edit an item or create a new item on my Mac that I want to go on my phone. I've been using Share>Android>Copy to move it into the Android vault on my Mac, but then there's no way to sync that vault with the phone.

Correct. That's why I'd recommend Dropbox sync. That way you can have only your "Android" vault sync to the phone on an ongoing basis (without having to switch vaults around or sync manually). That also works with either AgileKeychain or OPVault.

It's asinine and bass-ackward, but if I read you correctly I should make the Android vault primary and the Primary vault secondary. Then I can sync just the Android vault?

Yes, that wold work. It's not what I'd recommend, but that would allow you to sync only the Android vault. It is just not possible to sync via WLAN Server without the Primary vault.

BTW, I found a bug:
    When I was tring to export the data last week I kept getting an error window every time I tried to create a new vault. I was using the same name as the existing vault - Android - and thought I'd be allowed to save it to the desktop or other location. But 1P only saves to its default location. And if you create a vault using an existing vault's name, you get the following error window - but no explanation what went wrong. Eventually I discovered that using a different name successfully creates the vault. Obviously a message should be displayed saying the chosen name is already in use.

You're right: that's pretty confusing. I can't say I've ever tried creating another vault with the same name. I appreciate you bringing it to our attention, as I agree that error message is not helpful. We'll see if we can make 1Password smarter about this in the future.

ref: OPM-4126

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Let me make this clear: I'm never, ever EVER going to launch my passwords into the cloud.

That's fine. We don't either. Everything is encrypted locally on the device.

If hackers want them they can break into MY network, not a corporate target where countless users' vaults and other data can be stolen.

Much easier now with the KRACK vulnerability. Fortunately 1Password's security doesn't depend on the sync method used for its security. It will be MANY orders of magnitude harder to break into 1Password.com data because of the Secret Key, but it's your data and your choice which format and sync method you use.

The main issue here is why won't my Mac sync via WLAN Server and how do I fix it?

Did you try any of my suggestions? If you're going to stick with Local Folder or WLAN Server, we've already discussed both options above. :unamused:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

This is what you said:

Didn't work for me.

Peri didn't give you instructions. She was replying to other people who were having specific issues. And that doesn't really tell me what you've tried and what the results (errors, symptoms, etc.) were. If you can be specific, I may be able to suggest something.

I clicked local storage but it never gets past "Looking for 1Password on your network."

So this is the only information you have given so far about what you're trying to do and where you're running into trouble. Have you tried selecting WLAN Server instead of Local Storage (since it sounds like you don't want to use the method mentioned earlier)?

So again - why won't WLAN Server connect and how do I make it work?

I have no way of knowing. I know literally nothing about your network environment, or your devices even. Definitely follow the steps in this guide to check everything in your setup:

If you’re having trouble using the WLAN server

I can't fix anything there for you, but if you'll let me know more about what's going on I can at least point you in the right direction. :)

This discussion has been closed.